COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

Masks from China possible after domestic demand has been met.  Hong Kong had banned the importation of masks and 4 other items due to the protestors using them to avoid facial recognition.  US President did say last night that they will be looking into price gouging on masks.  My buddy in China told me they work around this by buying a listing for a pamphlet that comes with a bonus box of masks.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1180974.shtml

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Masks from China possible after domestic demand has been met.  Hong Kong had banned the importation of masks and 4 other items due to the protestors using them to avoid facial recognition.  US President did say last night that they will be looking into price gouging on masks.  My buddy in China told me they work around this by buying a listing for a pamphlet that comes with a bonus box of masks.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1180974.shtml

How many do you have for sale ? ;)

• Haha 1

updated yesterday before the 1 California case that reported around 8PM EST.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

Updated February 26, 2020

CDC is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus. The outbreak first started in Wuhan, China, but cases have been identified in a growing number of other international locations, including the United States. This page will be updated regularly on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

COVID-19: Confirmed Cases in the United States*†
COVID-19: Confirmed Cases in the United States*†
Travel-related 12
Person-to-person spread 2
Total confirmed cases 14
Total tested 445

* This table represents cases detected and tested in the United States through U.S. public health surveillance systems since January 21, 2020. It does not include people who returned to the U.S. via State Department-chartered flights.
 Numbers closed out at 4 p.m. the day before reporting.

COVID-19: Cases among Persons Repatriated to the United States†
COVID-19: Cases among Persons Repatriated to the United States†
  Wuhan, China Diamond Princess Cruise Ship
Positive 3 42

† Numbers closed out at 4 p.m. the day before reporting.
‡ Cases have laboratory confirmation and may or may not have been symptomatic.

While masks are great if you can get them and if you're in close contact with people, washing hands and sanitizer will be the most effective way to slow it down.  Problem is, people touch their face about 15-20 times an hour from what studies say and even with a mask on, rubbing your face or eyes or nose will be just as problematic.  

• Like 1

I know folks are generally seeing the situation result in shortages...but how about the flip side...what if the lingering effect of the outbreak dry up most consumer's discretionary funds and there are no buyers...despite price drops?  Could result in hoarders selling at rock bottom to pay credit bills and we have a buyers market with no buyers (figuratively...there's always someone making money).

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

Japan just shut down their public schools for a month. They only have 700+ confirmed cases. This is getting out of hand and is going to have a lasting impact on the world economy.

Milan is a ghost town as people stay away.

I’ve gotten several emails from my kid’s school districts about what we can expect once it hits and getting disaster training at work next week which includes expectations for working “long periods from home.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/world/asia/japan-schools-coronavirus.html

1 hour ago, BrickU said:

Not sure if this has been discussed yet.......  anyone have a current list on letter "B" sets that are made in China?  Wondering if early retirement is a possibility for any?

You maniac ;) still worrying about profit. I'll tell you something, if this pandemic really hits, the market crashes & everything goes down the hill the last thing on peoples minds will be plastic bricks. We'll wish we'd have bought some extra food instead.

15 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

You maniac ;) still worrying about profit. I'll tell you something, if this pandemic really hits, the market crashes & everything goes down the hill the last thing on peoples minds will be plastic bricks. We'll wish we'd have bought some extra food instead.

can those infared body temperature tester guns be used mainstream?

I could see how businesses require live testing for fever and mandatory masks (they do a great job of infecting others) before being admitted into a building

1 hour ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Or it will be the only thing on their mind in order to keep them sane. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

This.  As long as USPS and/or Amazon still deliver packages, we are still in business

I'd rather order batteries, masks & tools. LEGO would be number 157 on the order list. 

Everybody knows a crash is coming soon, look at the gold price, it's insane. All time record, over 50€!

Many say this virus will mark the true beginning of the great recession & inflation. Not true, I'd say it's here already, knocking.

Edited by elmaslıefendi

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Everyone has their own priorities. 

I hope you're right. Even if the prices crash (not likely, just a possibility) I'm glad to have a lot of LEGO, in a real lockdown scenario it's a nice time killer for sure. Food & hygiene prepping is far more important of course, but at this point you should already have everything... don't wait any longer if you haven't...

Edited by elmaslıefendi
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Many say this virus will mark the true beginning of the great recession & inflation. Not true, I'd say it's here already, knocking.

The side effect of globalization.  Once 1 country falls/ceases production, everyone else will feel the pain

5 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I hope you're right. Even if the prices crash (not likely, just a possibility) I'm glad to have a lot of LEGO, in a real lockdown scenario it's a nice time killer for sure. Food & hygiene prepping is far more important of course, but at this point you should already have everything... don't wait any longer if you haven't...

Also, as long as electricity and internet are still on, everyone can still s**t post on social media like they normally would :D

3 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Also, as long as electricity and internet are still on, everyone can still s**t post on social media like they normally would :D

Exactly. I'm kind of curious how things will go & how the online world will react. Of course not a positive curiosity, I'd rather not experience what people in China are experiencing.

Let's see this thread in a month or two... maybe it will all just clear up with UV in spring time, but I really don't think so. This is a big deal.