COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

1 minute ago, Pseudoty said:

Yep, Moderna 1/2 dose. Temp down to 99.9 but now I have a brutal headache and I don’t get headaches. Thumbs are good. 

supposed to get mine soon  was waiting to see rheumatologist early January for follow up and see whether to get 1/2 or full.   I didn't get anything out of the first 2 moderna,  just sore arm for 2 days.  

had neurology follow up today and said everything sounds good.   Said the toe neuropathy could be from the sarcoid and seeing its not bad not doing anything at this time.  If it gets worse or anything else pops up he can always treat it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Yep, Moderna 1/2 dose. Temp down to 99.9 but now I have a brutal headache and I don’t get headaches. Thumbs are good. 

I got my booster a few weeks ago and only had a sore arm.  I found out Sunday night that a friend of mine I visited (who was sick) tested positive for COVID. Of course, this was after having my Mom over Saturday and having my wife's family Christmas with all my in-laws and kids on Sunday. I'm waiting until tomorrow to get tested, but haven't really had any symptoms or anything yet. I should be ok, but I'm going over to a friend's tomorrow night for Book of Boba Fett.

• Like 3

BOOM!

John Madden died at age 85

I was of the generation that grew up w/ Madden (not the video game). He brought "color" to commentary...and is the sole reason why so many of us football fans have this insatiable urge to spew the obvious when talking football like "if we only scored more points we would have won"

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

My thoughts if you are fully vaccinated, why get tested? 

19 minutes ago, bigboy61 said:

You can still pass it on. The vaccine doesn't really prevent covid. It mainly prevents hospitalizations and bad effects.

Yeah, if I have it, I want folks to know who I’ve been around. There is always potential to pass it on to others who are vaccinated and they can pass it on to friends, family, and people in public who are not vaccinated.

My friend I visited was not vaccinated and contracted COVID. His wife and kids are vaccinated and tested negative. He has cancer, it’s his choice.

8 hours ago, bigboy61 said:

You can still pass it on. The vaccine doesn't really prevent covid. It mainly prevents hospitalizations and bad effects.

I get all that. But aren't we past the point of trying to stop the spread of this? There has been ample time/opportunity for vaccinations. I'm not implying if you are sick, you shouldn't stay home. That's just common courtesy.

The media is attempting another scare tactic with Omicron, but it's basically the sniffles. Delta is quite a bit more dangerous in the un-vaccinated, and those are still the large majority of hospital cases.

Edited by iahawks550
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

But aren't we past the point of trying to stop the spread of this? 

Unfortunately in the US, we've had people actively fighting against widely excepted pandemic protocols for the past two years.

Honest question. Did you truly believe we(the US) are capable of stopping the spread of any virus as long as there is: news for profit, anti-maskers, anti-vaxers, flat earthers and my body my choice? (which ironically enough, are vehemently against Roe vs Wade).

Our country has become Banana-land right before our eyes. The Great Divide shows no sign of slowing and only appears to keep the chaotic momentum churning.  Problem is, its not sustainable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Are we truly capable of stopping the spread even if as a country we had a higher vaccination rate? This thing is mutating and spreading throughout the world and eventually that will make its way back to the U.S. This isn't a nationwide problem, it's a worldwide problem. It seems we are going to have to learn to live with it and get on with life as best as we can.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Are we truly capable of stopping the spread even if as a country we had a higher vaccination rate?

Throughout history, vaccines are only one tool for virologists/epidemiologists.   

Many times throughout Covid-19, we have seen relaxed restrictions during times of unknown.  People are still piling on cruise ships as a result of 'needing' a vacation. 

Are we capable, yes.  The means are there.  Are we willing?  Most of us, no. 

41 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Are we truly capable of stopping the spread even if as a country we had a higher vaccination rate? This thing is mutating and spreading throughout the world and eventually that will make its way back to the U.S. This isn't a nationwide problem, it's a worldwide problem. It seems we are going to have to learn to live with it and get on with life as best as we can.

I accepted the fact that we have to live with the virus for the rest of our lives just 3 months after the pandemic hit. This is the nature of the virus which continuous mutating gonna make it less dangerous but more contagous. The death rate will eventually drop to the level of the common cold or flu. The goverment and media will declare the end of pandemic, then the end of endemic, then just stop reporting any cases, just like the virus is gong (actually not). 

Just think about 1918 spainish flu, the pandemic ended in 2 years. Did the virus disappear over a night as goverment claimed we defeat the virus? The fact is the virus became much milder over generatios of mutation and it just blended into our lives. This is what gonna happen in 2022.

12 hours ago, bigboy61 said:

The vaccinated will be more likely to catch it and pass it on as some preliminary data shows. Since this group avoided earlier strains they will contract it in much higher numbers than unvaxxed. 

However, with Omni looking more and more everyday like the common cold, both vaxxed and unvaxxed should recover easily. 

Come April / May this will all be over. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have a super fit 19 year old that disagrees with the sniffles and common cold...  Might be flu like symptoms but it can be worse than the normal flu and colds.

Day 10 of it and she's still not great.  Fever left 2 days ago and switched to a throbbing headache, heavy congestion and 0 energy.  

Still tested positive day 8 and 9.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, dennugsmello said:

The vaccinated will be more likely to catch it and pass it on as some preliminary data shows. Since this group avoided earlier strains they will contract it in much higher numbers than unvaxxed. 

Care to share this 'preliminary data'?  I am very interested. 

Vaccinated people tend to clear the infectious virus quicker, making them LESS likely to transmit the infectious virus.  Numerous studies done by plenty of countries easily found on the www. 

It has been proven on the cellular level, unvaccinated subjects who already contracted Covid-19(natural immunity), have much lower (up to 20x lower) antibody levels in their blood system compared to vaccinated subjects(manufactured immunity) 3-4 weeks after exposure. It is not even close.   Unvaccinated people are bringing edible undies to a nuclear war.  

1 hour ago, dennugsmello said:

Come April / May this will all be over. 

Will it though?! Do you have a crystal ball? Are you so confident you'd be willing to wager some sets? Perhaps a sealed brick bank?!

18 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

I have a super fit 19 year old that disagrees with the sniffles and common cold...  Might be flu like symptoms but it can be worse than the normal flu and colds.

Day 10 of it and she's still not great.  Fever left 2 days ago and switched to a throbbing headache, heavy congestion and 0 energy.  

I am very sorry to hear this. Hopefully she's able to fight it off soon and get well.   Thank you for sharing your experience. 

5 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Will it though?! Do you have a crystal ball? Are you so confident you'd be willing to wager some sets? Perhaps a sealed brick bank?!

I don't have a crystal ball. But I believe Omni will spread over the world like a tidal wave, quickly giving vaxxed and unvaxxed a basic t-cell immunity with minimal deaths and mild symptoms. This has been my prediction the entire pandemic and I'm willing to make a FRIENDLY wager on it. If I lose, I send you a new set. I win, I don't send anything. 

However, a brick bank is too rich a bet for a guy with three kids. Here is what I'm willing to wager ($100 range). You can choose your set + an Obi Wan minifig(30624). I picked some smaller sets as I want to keep shipping low. 

Eiffel tower 29019

Elves 41192

Lego Benny(beat up box) 41636

Obviously we need to go over terms of the wager and what exactly I meant by the hyperbolic statement "Come April / May this will all be over. " But that is easy enough. 

1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

I have a super fit 19 year old that disagrees with the sniffles and common cold

To be clear. When I am speaking of mild symptoms I am specifically speaking to the Omni variant. I hope your daughter recovers quickly and fully. 

1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

My ex-coworker tested positive for over four months even though he was over the symptoms in three days. Quit his job over it as our jobs require a negative test to enter the building. 

35 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

I don't have a crystal ball. But I believe Omni will spread over the world like a tidal wave, quickly giving vaxxed and unvaxxed a basic t-cell immunity with minimal deaths and mild symptoms. This has been my prediction the entire pandemic and I'm willing to make a FRIENDLY wager on it. If I lose, I send you a new set. I win, I don't send anything. 

However, a brick bank is too rich a bet for a guy with three kids. Here is what I'm willing to wager ($100 range). You can choose your set + an Obi Wan minifig(30624). I picked some smaller sets as I want to keep shipping low. 

Eiffel tower 29019

Elves 41192

Lego Benny(beat up box) 41636

Obviously we need to go over terms of the wager and what exactly I meant by the hyperbolic statement "Come April / May this will all be over. " But that is easy enough. 

I like it!  I'll take that friendly wager.  If you win, I will send you a set & minifigure as well.  here are your choices plus a captain marvel & nick fury poly 30453. 

1.) 41061 Jasmines Exotic Palace

2.) 76124 War Machine Buster 

3.) 30628 Book of Monsters

Trying to think of a universal benchmark. Open to ideas. One suggestion.  I work for a S&P 100 company.  We have been work from home since March 13th 2020.  If people are back in the office by May 1st, you win. if not, you loose.  Does that work?