COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

488k daily US cases today,  Florida 78k new daily record beating the mid 30s records from last week.  Knew we could do it!  
NY 74k as well beating their 67k record from yesterday.
might be able to get to a 100k daily state records soon at that rate.

Lots of restaurants shutting down for a few days and very little staff at most stores. Majority of Covid cases sequenced are still being recorded as Delta in my neck of the mid-south and no word yet how bad Omicron will be—there’s still that two week period between the start of a spike and cases and hospitalization with severe disease. Our state infectious disease doc sent out an ominous warning that we only have a few hundred doses of monoclonals and won’t be receiving a new supply of at home antivirals until mid January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my local Florida local experience - COVID off the shelf tests are non-existent around Orlando. They seem to be sold out everywhere.

What a debacle by this administration. We had to drive 30 minutes to an out of town library to get tests because the doctor’s office was out.

Daughter is positive but OK.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

What a debacle by this administration. We had to drive 30 minutes to an out of town library to get tests because the doctor’s office was out.

Daughter is positive but OK.

That sucks, hope she gets better soon.

2 minutes ago, chinothegeeko said:

Question, why are you getting tested? You sick?

I got tested, so I know I’m not spreading it.

My wife picked up a rapid test today and it came back positive. There were two in the kit so I took one too but I lost. However my symptoms arrived today and I'm sure I have it but it didn't register.
we'll group isolate with our 3 year old for a few days and I'll build Lego. There is a minty ninjago city and docks with my name on it, if I really need something to do.

I was pretty sure we had Covid this time instead of just a cold because I had a cold three and a half weeks ago and this felt different. Since we saw people in small groups over Christmas and two took a flight yesterday, it made sense to test to be sure.

Getting a test was a challenge, and the government is just telling people with symptoms to assume you have it and isolate. Numbers are probably off by 150-200% of the reported numbers.

Yay LEGO! Boo COVID!

4 minutes ago, redghostx said:

My wife picked up a rapid test today and it came back positive. There were two in the kit so I took one too but I lost. However my symptoms arrived today and I'm sure I have it but it didn't register.
we'll group isolate with our 3 year old for a few days and I'll build Lego. There is a minty ninjago city and docks with my name on it, if I really need something to do.

I was pretty sure we had Covid this time instead of just a cold because I had a cold three and a half weeks ago and this felt different. Since we saw people in small groups over Christmas and two took a flight yesterday, it made sense to test to be sure.

Getting a test was a challenge, and the government is just telling people with symptoms to assume you have it and isolate. Numbers are probably off by 150-200% of the reported numbers.

Yay LEGO! Boo COVID!

Hope you guys get better fast.

Thanks!

I recover fast and we both drank two doses of koolaid so we should be fine. My wife is 33 weeks pregnant and should benefit from antibodies or magic. I'm not a doctor, but I do play one with Lego.

I forget who to blame this week. Is it still Biden? Trump? China? The Moon? Trudeau (it's always his fault)? The Lego clerk?

Yay LEGO!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Phil B said:

There are two in the package because you are supposed to test day 1 and day 3(? I believe).

Why the hell. With all of the testing you’re bound to test positive. What’s the point that except to give more money to the billionaire es behind this fiasco. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

There are two in the package because you are supposed to test day 1 and day 3(? I believe).
Oh, well since she tested positive, there was no point on saving it, but it's good to know for the future (or chalk up to pregnancy brain)

***Edit, the sheet says to use the second test if you get an inconclusive first one, that's it ***

Plus Mathew answered whom to blame: It's the billionaires! Lousy bastards.

Yay LEGO!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

Vaccination status does not matter as far as spreading of Covid-19.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Vaccines are not a silver bullet but, to claim that they do not matter as far as spreading COVID is concerned is incorrect.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0607-mrna-reduce-risks.html

A new CDC study finds the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) reduce the risk of infection by 91 percent for fully vaccinated people. This adds to the growing body of real-world evidence of their effectiveness. Importantly, this study also is among the first to show that mRNA vaccination benefits people who get COVID-19 despite being fully vaccinated (14 or more days after dose 2) or partially vaccinated (14 or more days after dose 1 to 13 days after dose 2).

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02689-y

The study shows that people who become infected with the Delta variant are less likely to pass the virus to their close contacts if they have already had a COVID-19 vaccine than if they haven’t1. But that protective effect is relatively small, and dwindles alarmingly at three months after the receipt of the second shot.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

People who are fully vaccinated against covid-19 are far less likely to infect others, despite the arrival of the delta variant, several studies show. The findings refute the idea, which has become common in some circles, that vaccines no longer do much to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

“They absolutely do reduce transmission,” says Christopher Byron Brooke at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “Vaccinated people do transmit the virus in some cases, but the data are super crystal-clear that the risk of transmission for a vaccinated individual is much, much lower than for an unvaccinated individual.”

I had a quick look into the source you provided. The presenter works for Epoch Times, who have a history of spreading COVID misinformation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Vaccination status does not matter as far as spreading of Covid-19.

That 25% of the vaccinated crew tested positive in no way supports your assertion that “vaccination status does not matter as far as spreading Covid.” If anything it supports that vaccines are effective in curbing wide spread outbreaks as the majority of the crew, 75%, did not test positive. https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/12/27/nearly-25-of-navy-warship-crew-has-covid-19.html

Sources and credibility still matter. The Epoch Times is a fringe far right publication associated with the Falun Gong religious movement. They support Qanon, anti-vaccine, anti-evolution and Trump’s stolen election claims. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Epoch_Times

• Like 2

We are battling multiple people calling out with Covid in my business of about 25 employees.  Most are minor, cold like, symptoms.  I'm figuring this will all shake out by the end of January and we can all get our lives back.  Positive cases are much higher than posted....maybe ten times higher according to some doctors/scientists. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I'm figuring this will all shake out by the end of January and we can all get our lives back.  Positive cases are much higher than posted.

Very optimistic.  After learning Delta is still making up over 75% of the cases, we probably wont see an omicron spike until end of Jan, mid Feb.

That 25% of the vaccinated crew tested positive in no way supports your assertion that “vaccination status does not matter as far as spreading Covid.” If anything it supports that vaccines are effective in curbing wide spread outbreaks as the majority of the crew, 75%, did not test positive. https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/12/27/nearly-25-of-navy-warship-crew-has-covid-19.html

Sources and credibility still matter. The Epoch Times is a fringe far right publication associated with the Falun Gong religious movement. They support Qanon, anti-vaccine, anti-evolution and Trump’s stolen election claims. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Epoch_Times

Just because 75% of the crew did not test positive does not mean that the vaccine is/ was effective at preventing spread. Correlation does not equal causation.

I will admit that my "evidence" is purely anecdotal, but I did 23 years in the Navy with with about 12 of those years being stationed on board ships and about 8 years total spent out at sea on those ships. I have never seen any viral outbreak infect more than 25% of a crew. Including everything from the flu to hand/foot/mouth.

When Covid first came along and there was a outbreak on the Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier I believe it was 1271 total Sailors that were infected. This was before any vaccine. 1271 Sailors is about 25% of the ship's crew for an aircraft carrier. So pretty much the same exact infection rates pre and post vaccine.

Very optimistic.  After learning Delta is still making up over 75% of the cases, we probably wont see an omicron spike until end of Jan, mid Feb.
Our available data (depending on province) indicates that cases are Omicron, not Delta.
I can't speak for your area though. Delta was the primary one until a few weeks ago

Yay LEGO!