COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

We are battling multiple people calling out with Covid in my business of about 25 employees.  Most are minor, cold like, symptoms.  I'm figuring this will all shake out by the end of January and we can all get our lives back.  Positive cases are much higher than posted....maybe ten times higher according to some doctors/scientists. 

This is exactly what will happen. By April/May this will all be over. Even the government is signaling it. They are trying to back out of this thing quickly. Soon people will quit testing and the cases will plummet just like India after delta. 

Vax or not you will get Omni and should have mild symptoms gaining you solid protection against all other strains. Omni will also make all other strains extinct while giving base immunity to everyone. Covid will then become cold like, like the many other coronavirus’ before it. 

Omni is the ultimate world immunizer. This follows the path I’ve been saying for two years here.

I do not say this to minimize people experiences and problems caused by covid. My family has been effected from both covid and vaccine problems. I empathize. I state these thing to show people there is an end and it’s rapidly approaching. We should be optimistic in the macro sense. Obviously individual cases are their own tragedies. I speak to the big picture with my opinions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

When Covid first came along and there was a outbreak on the Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier I believe it was 1271 total Sailors that were infected. This was before any vaccine. 1271 Sailors is about 25% of the ship's crew for an aircraft carrier. So pretty much the same exact infection rates pre and post vaccine.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The Roosevelt outbreak was earlier in the pandemic and was not caused by the Delta or Omicron variants. We know that Delta is twice as infectious as earlier variants and that Omicron is even more so, causing significantly more infections than Delta. So, I disagree with your claim that "pretty much the same exact infection rates pre and post vaccine." If the crew had not been nearly 100% vaccinated the data suggests that many more of them would have been infected by omicron compared to previous variants.  

2 hours ago, dennugsmello said:

This is exactly what will happen. By April/May this will all be over. Even the government is signaling it. They are trying to back out of this thing quickly. Soon people will quit testing and the cases will plummet just like India after delta. 

Vax or not you will get Omni and should have mild symptoms gaining you solid protection against all other strains. Omni will also make all other strains extinct while giving base immunity to everyone. Covid will then become cold like, like the many other coronavirus’ before it. 

Omni is the ultimate world immunizer. This follows the path I’ve been saying for two years here.

I do not say this to minimize people experiences and problems caused by covid. My family has been effected from both covid and vaccine problems. I empathize. I state these thing to show people there is an end and it’s rapidly approaching. We should be optimistic in the macro sense. Obviously individual cases are their own tragedies. I speak to the big picture with my opinions.

I am basically on the same page.  Read today that Omicron does an excellent job at building immunity to Delta and itself.  Delta is still tricky. My 64 year old business partner is triple vaccinated with Delta, but with minor symptoms.  

Anecdotally, I can say this is one devious virus.  I have known about a half dozen people who have died from it, but plenty more that have zero or minor symptoms.  It's like Russian Roulette.  

4 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

My biggest grip is currently, I could have only the very minor symptoms, and if I tested positive, I would have to use my personal time to take off work and quarantine.......after being vaccinated (three times).

I agree and am sorry this is happening. Similar situations are occurring at my workplace. Not to mention, now testing is becoming harder to come by with at home tests being consumed faster than produced and hospitals being full/short staffed. It is truly a f*cked up situation. Maybe 2022 will bring us more clarity. 

3 hours ago, redghostx said:

Our available data (depending on province) indicates that cases are Omicron, not Delta.
I can't speak for your area though. Delta was the primary one until a few weeks ago

Yay LEGO!
Ha! thanks for rubbing it in how unorganized and slow our response has been as a country. 😉

12 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I just don't think people are getting tested for minor symptoms. 

This has been a problem all week.  I’ve had to be extra cautious as i heard people mention at work they were sick but had no pto time off, and there was no testing available.  They were left with few options and unfortunately they chose to go to work and potentially expose anyone they came in contact with.  

3 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:  

Anecdotally, I can say this is one devious virus.  I have known about a half dozen people who have died from  It's like Russian Roulette.  

I am truly sorry for your losses. Unfortunately, I have agreed with this statement from the early beginning.  A game I refuse to play as a new husband/dad with a large extended family spanning 4 generations. 
give me all the tools available please and thank you. And leave me alone in my cave on a mountain I will come out from under the rock in maybe 2-3 years.✌️

39 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

I am truly sorry for your losses. Unfortunately, I have agreed with this statement from the early beginning.  A game I refuse to play as a new husband/dad with a large extended family spanning 4 generations. 
give me all the tools available please and thank you. And leave me alone in my cave on a mountain I will come out from under the rock in maybe 2-3 years.✌️

Thanks.  I think we are all tired.  I know I am as an essential business owner struggling to stay open with a skeleton crew.  It's bad enough that the cost of running my business has gone thru the roof and I cannot easily pass that onto the customer.  

I have been right in the mix for two years now, dealing with thousands of customers a week in person, so I guess I am lucky to be in my current situation.  It's just vicious cycle that I hope ends soon.

49 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

a new variant of concern has emerged from southern France, thought to have originated from a traveler returning from Cameroon.

B.1.640.2., 46 mutations and 37 deletions. 

Hopefully this one is more of a common cold, like Omicron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BricksBrotha said:

a new variant of concern has emerged from southern France, thought to have originated from a traveler returning from Cameroon.

Something not a lot of people realize about Omicron is that it was first sequenced in Botswana from travellers coming from the Netherlands. Then researchers in South Africa found it as well. So it was real silly to shut down travel to Africa when the variant likely originated in Europe and was almost certainly already here.

30 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

Something not a lot of people realize about Omicron is that it was first sequenced in Botswana from travellers coming from the Netherlands. Then researchers in South Africa found it as well. So it was real silly to shut down travel to Africa when the variant likely originated in Europe and was almost certainly already here.

The Omicron cases were exploding in South Africa (not in the Netherlands), so not at all silly (as that was the concern) - The travel ban wasn't implemented as a punishment.

So I'm on quarantine. Got covid from a vaccinated employee (I'm vaxed and boosted). Feel fine. Just very minor cold symptoms. I'm locked in my guest attic suite. Here was my weekend (built it in 2 days) covid project I picked up used for $150 before christmas. Needed to build to confirm all pieces are accounted for. Only missing 4 pieces. Not too bad considering the set was owned by a family with kids. IMG_4590.thumb.JPG.0e77b00eda029008c1ba9f2d0e8f7776.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Gonkalin said:

So I'm on quarantine. Got covid from a vaccinated employee (I'm vaxed and boosted). Feel fine. Just very minor cold symptoms. I'm locked in my guest attic suite. Here was my weekend (built it in 2 days) covid project I picked up used for $150 before christmas. Needed to build to confirm all pieces are accounted for. Only missing 4 pieces. Not too bad considering the set was owned by a family with kids. IMG_4590.thumb.JPG.0e77b00eda029008c1ba9f2d0e8f7776.JPG

When Life gives you Covid;

Yeah LEGO!

On 1/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, BricksBrotha said:

Now being called IHU variant.  No weird pronunciation, just simply I, H, U, said like an acronym (as in ABS brakes)

16 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Now being called IHU variant.  No weird pronunciation, just simply I, H, U, said like an acronym (as in ABS brakes)

I read IHU as I hate you, which seems appropriate, since this pandemic has brought a lot of hate into society. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have been a bit confused about the various tests out there and I found this vid helpful:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-test-pcr-antigen-results/

Basically Although PCR test is much more accurate than Antigen test (Home test kits); but to answer the question: "Am I contagious" the Antigen home kits are the test to do.

The issue with PCR test is that they can show positive for CV up to weeks after a person has been well past their contagious stage.

Also the boldness or brightness of the line indicating positive on an antigen test is directly related to the amount of replicating virus; so a faint line may indicate the person just got exposure and will get worse or if the person is on the tail end of their infection...cannot know; and why a 2nd test 24-48 hrs later is needed to verify.  I believe most home kits have two tests per box.

As always the above is just a single source for information; I would ofcourse appreciate other viewpoints so we can have a fruitful discussion.

• Like 1