COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

1 hour ago, Mark Twain said:

Looks like virtually all of the non MRNA vaccines are ineffective against symptomatic infections of Omicron. Likely still some protection against severe disease.

Anecdote: a class mate of my daughter contracted Covid last Xmas and had a mild case. She was reinfected this year and spent two days in the hospital because her blood oxygen dropped in the 80s. Rapid recovery thank god, but if Omicron is as infections as measles this winter is going to put an even worse strain on our hospital system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious to know if she was vaccinated.

Just now, BricksBrotha said:

Last Christmas, the vaccines were not available for children.

I meant if she was vaccinated this year when she caught it again. I'm only asking because the media keeps stating that if you're vaccinated/boosted and catch it, it will be mild.

15 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

I meant if she was vaccinated this year when she caught it again. I'm only asking because the media keeps stating that if you're vaccinated/boosted and catch it, it will be mild.

Good point.  I would only add that regardless of her vaccination status, repeat infections dont seem to follow the same path of severity as initial infections.

Everybody around the world will get omni, whether you're vaxxed or not. Should be a mild illness overall for most people and bring this stage of the pandemic to an end.  It appears to be following the the normal trajectory of viral mutations as I've predicted here for the past couple years.

I'm bullish that by April this whole mess is behind us. 

Edited by dennugsmello
missing word
  • Like 2

Curious to know if she was vaccinated.

No. Her mother was vaccinated but wanted to wait because her daughter was 8 and didn’t fully trust it. As I understand it both parents had Covid previously winter 2020 and both were fully vaxed by mid 2021 but not boosted and no children were vaccinated in the house. Both parents also reinfected but much milder symptoms than previous infection. Daughter was the outlier with a severe second case/ no vaccine. Again, anecdotal.

• Thanks 1

Everybody around the world will get omni, whether you're vaxxed or not. Should be a mild illness overall for most people and bring this stage of the pandemic to an end.  It appears to be following the the normal trajectory of viral mutations as I've predicted here for the past couple years.

This doesn’t end.

4 hours ago, dennugsmello said:

Everybody around the world will get omni, whether you're vaxxed or not.

Luckily, this is not an absolute.

4 hours ago, dennugsmello said:

Also, this is extremely optimistic. I wish I was as confident as you are good sir.✌️

Let reminds ourselves that the data is preliminary; many THINK that Omicron, altho more readily transmissible, is not as severe; but we don't KNOW.

Also in terms of vaccinations and boosters....the effectiveness in PREVENTING any symptoms is not an absolute...I've read that not vaccinated probably will get some symptoms 10x more likely than vaxxed...so that means being vaccinated likely reduces your chances of developing symptoms or if you do likely mild 2 day affair.

Anecdotally I am sure many that are vaxxed and boosted will still test positive for Omicron and we will all hear stories within our networks..this was the case for Delta.  We saw stories here of vaxxed folks getting it.

What we do KNOW is that being vaxxed and booster greatly reduces the chance of being hospitalized and ofcourse death....and this is more meaningful for the immuno-compromised or elderly and for the people with such folks in their circles.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Let reminds ourselves that the data is preliminary; many THINK that Omicron, altho more readily transmissible, is not as severe; but we don't KNOW.

Data may be preliminary, but fits with what we expect from viral evolution. More contagious, milder symptoms and less deadly will outcompete a more severe, deadlier strain. If contagious enough, and infects everybody quick enough, it will outcompete all other variants and cause their extinction. Once its  passed around the globe and everyone gains t-cell recognition of the whole virus, most cases from thereafter on should be mild and cold like. 

I understand this is an optimistic viewpoint, but a valid and realistic scenario. 

4 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

Data may be preliminary, but fits with what we expect from viral evolution. More contagious, milder symptoms and less deadly will outcompete a more severe, deadlier strain. If contagious enough, and infects everybody quick enough, it will outcompete all other variants and cause their extinction. Once its  passed around the globe and everyone gains t-cell recognition of the whole virus, most cases from thereafter on should be mild and cold like. 

I understand this is an optimistic viewpoint, but a valid and realistic scenario. 

this ignore the recent fact there was already a big exception w/ Delta: more contagious AND more virulent

it's not a a straight line but a bumpy line trending downward...over time...but really for every bump millions are still affected.  It's like being on a voyage w/ plenty of fuel but lack of food...sure it's nice to know we'll eventually get home, but many will still die.  

Just now, $20 on joe vs dan said:

it's not a a straight line but a bumpy line trending downward...over time...but really for every bump millions are still affected.  It's like being on a voyage w/ plenty of fuel but lack of food...sure it's nice to know we'll eventually get home, but many will still die.  

Such is life. Millions a year die of cancer, colds, flu etc. COVID’s greatest asset is its ability to instill fear and control.  Just imagine the power it would have in the wrong hands. 🤔

• Like 3

Daughter tested positive today,  fever , chills, sore throat , aches so far,  had a few aerial gigs past few weekends so bound to have happened.

I on the other hand was the lucky recipient of a 2nd minor toe surgery in last week for a jacked up growing nail and infection.  Hadn't had enough medical issues this year...

• Sad 3

13 hours ago, Mathew said:

So you’ve never had the flu or a cold? Covid will never go away. Eventually you will get it. Vaxxed, masked or not. 

Thanks for my daily tarot card reading you brussels sprout. 😍

13 hours ago, Mathew said:

COVID’s greatest asset is natural selection.

Fixed it for ya✌️😋

• Like 1

Daughter tested positive today,  fever , chills, sore throat , aches so far,  had a few aerial gigs past few weekends so bound to have happened.
I on the other hand was the lucky recipient of a 2nd minor toe surgery in last week for a jacked up growing nail and infection.  Hadn't had enough medical issues this year...

I’m sorry to hear both. I hope your daughter and you recover quickly. Having toenail surgery sucks. My mother had to have three of them drilled and drained when they became infected when I was younger.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

Well, damnit.  Get well dude.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Today's compliant: Hiding political trolling

Today's compliant: When I am not sure from the context WHICH side is hiding political trolling, so I am not sure if I should be outraged or not.

Yesterday's compliant: When your brother won't deign to get a covid rapid test before gathering Christmas Eve, and Christmas morning because he believes it is all a hoax, even though your mom asked him too, your sisters asked him too, your dad is 85 and has two types of active cancer, and other health issues... and he (brother) is a nurse practitioner, so you have to tell him he is being selfish, and if not swabbing his nose for 5 minutes is too much to ask before he comes to Christmas Eve, (even if he thinks it is bullshit! Jump through the hoop Asswipe!) then he has made the decision NOT to come, but he is the youngest, so Mom says "Please come Christmas morning!" So you are the As*****.

Edited by House Schubert
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

Today's compliant:... and he (brother) is a nurse practitioner, so you have to tell him he is being selfish, and if not swabbing his nose for 5 minutes is too much to …

And just maybe as a nurse practitioner he knows more than you do about Covid and is sick and tired of all the bullshit 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1