Jurassic World 2015

Spacewalker95

I think the success of JW caught a lot of people by surprise.  I just got back from a visit to one of our Lego stores, and there was not a single JW set in the store.  Completely wiped out.  They are awaiting a Tuesday morning shipment to restock.

Are people in other areas of the country seeing a run on JW sets in their stores?  Just wondering if I should be looking harder for stock to QF.  Is it worth the effort?  The sets are kind of meh from a build design perspective, so I'm wondering if the demand will have legs into the Christmas season or if everyone will forget about JW when the Star Wars stuff is revealed on 9/4.  But then the last Dino theme has surprising post EOL value.

My first rule of investing is whether I would want to build the set or not.  But this theme has me befuddled.

I'd do some research before proclaiming it "quick flip" winners.  I think long term winner, yes the potential is there.  Quick flip winners?  Looking at ebay's sold list on jurassic world sets doesn't show any as major winners.  Well, not unless you like losing money after fees, and driving costs to obtain them.  Plus, these aren't that hard to find online as of now.  I also have seen them go fairly quickly in my area, but I think the "flip potential" is minimal unless these become very hard to obtain by october, then you may have some luck around christmas.

Edited by fossilrock

Oh I don't know... go to your Toy-R-Us on a Thursday and get a 75919... retail $139.99 - 10 % TRUTH - 25% coupon - 12% gift card + 7% tax = about $89.  Sell it in your ebay store for $128, pay 9% ebay fees, - paypal fee, - $13 shipping... end up with about $99. You make $10 and keep about $7.50 in TRU points.  For some people that's good enough of a flip.  Not what I like to do with my free time tho.

• Like 3

At three of the TRU that I visited, the had lots of stock of all of the sets. I don't think that prices will get much higher than the 10% TRU lego surcharge in the short term. During the holidays, it's going to be all about SW, no doubt.

Edited by pete411
  • Like 1

Oh I don't know... go to your Toy-R-Us on a Thursday and get a 75919... retail $139.99 - 10 % TRUTH - 25% coupon - 12% gift card + 7% tax = about $89.  Sell it in your ebay store for $128, pay 9% ebay fees, - paypal fee, - $13 shipping... end up with about $99. You make $10 and keep about $7.50 in TRU points.  For some people that's good enough of a flip.  Not what I like to do with my free time tho.

I think TRU usually gets in 4 of the IR set at a time.  So, at best you have to buy a lot just to make 50.00.  Seems like a lot of time running from store to store to do that.  I think long term this set has a lot more potential.  I could see it 2xvip at the end of it's life, that is if lego still has a stranglehold on people at that time.

Im changing my tune from an earlier post I made here.  Jurassic World is taking the current title as the most popular lego theme going right now.  My sons birthday is this week, and he wanted some of these, and they are wiped out in my area.  The 3 closest walmarts are all out of stock, targets - out of stock, except for the cheapest set (they have that one).  The raptor sets are quickly devoured it seems, while the trex tracker can be found if you drive (already have one as an investment).  IR set is out there and obtainable, but once again, only 1 in stock at target within 100 miles.  Online, they are scarce and highly sporadic on Lego B&M, Amazon, Walmart, and Target.   I'm wondering if lego will do a huge production run in a month or two, but if its just a minor run, these sets are going to be tough to get, and investing in them is going to be like herding cats, but looking like well worth the effort.  Goes to show, that regardless of what a few AFOL's think (when many of us saw these, many of us bagged on them and threw the rotten tomatoes) - what kids like and want is another story alltogether.  

Prices of the sets that are OOS through amazon prime are close to 2x. 

If Lego was smart, they would do another wave.

Edited by fossilrock

Im changing my tune from an earlier post I made here.  Jurassic World is taking the current title as the most popular lego theme going right now.  My sons birthday is this week, and he wanted some of these, and they are wiped out in my area.  The 3 closest walmarts are all out of stock, targets - out of stock, except for the cheapest set (they have that one).  The raptor sets are quickly devoured it seems, while the trex tracker can be found if you drive (already have one as an investment).  IR set is out there and obtainable, but once again, only 1 in stock at target within 100 miles.  Online, they are scarce and highly sporadic on Lego B&M, Amazon, Walmart, and Target.   I'm wondering if lego will do a huge production run in a month or two, but if its just a minor run, these sets are going to be tough to get, and investing in them is going to be like herding cats, but looking like well worth the effort.  Goes to show, that regardless of what a few AFOL's think (when many of us saw these, many of us bagged on them and threw the rotten tomatoes) - what kids like and want is another story alltogether.  

Prices of the sets that are OOS through amazon prime are close to 2x. 

If Lego was smart, they would do another wave.

Don't know if that would be "smart" of LEGO though...

Is there sufficient leeway for them to come up with sets tha fit the theme AND are something new?

Personally (I think some here might feel the same) I would have loved to see originial Jurrassic Park LEGO.

There would have been enough possibilities.

With the new theme out right now it would be redundant though: T-Rex... yeah already got that... big ass cage... already got that... Velociraptor... check...

I would love to see the Camper at the archeological excavation, the helicopter landingspace with a jeep and the brachiosaurus, the visitor center, the kitchen scene, the control room, the lab, the guided tour, the bunker... and most important of all: The Maingate!

But probably none of these will ever happen as official LEGO Sets. But we got the official "Jurassic Park" Logo on this theme (since it is Jurassic Park! ;-) ) and this gives us more then enough opportunity to build awesome MOCs, which is certainly also one of the reasons why this theme is so popular.

Bringing out a second wave with sets of the same movie... haven't seen the movie yet, but looking forward to... I'm speculating that there might be even less leeway for LEGO to come up with new sets?

Jurassic Park is a great theme, but since the dinosaurs are the whole POINT of the theme it also is very limited to the possibilities to design sets for the theme (because the main "characters" will be too redundant for people to want all these sets).

I mean honestly... if there would be 2-3 sets with a rancor in them... rancor pit probably wouldn't be that sought-after ^.^

I wonder if Lego actually holds the rights to Jurassic Park. I don't think just because they hold the merchandise rights to JW means thst they can make sets for all four films. Yeah they did the earlier Indy films when they came out with sets for Crystal Skull but that license could have been all encompassing.

Btw, these sets are white hot right now and very difficult to find at stores right now. I'm not sure if this will continue as kids and collectors are known to have short attention spans. I saw zero Raptor Rampage or IRex sets at the two TRU stores that I visited when last week they were fully stocked. That build event on Saturday must have really boosted sales.

Edited by pete411

Don't know if that would be "smart" of LEGO though...

Is there sufficient leeway for them to come up with sets tha fit the theme AND are something new?

Personally (I think some here might feel the same) I would have loved to see originial Jurrassic Park LEGO.

There would have been enough possibilities.

With the new theme out right now it would be redundant though: T-Rex... yeah already got that... big ass cage... already got that... Velociraptor... check...

I would love to see the Camper at the archeological excavation, the helicopter landingspace with a jeep and the brachiosaurus, the visitor center, the kitchen scene, the control room, the lab, the guided tour, the bunker... and most important of all: The Maingate!

But probably none of these will ever happen as official LEGO Sets. But we got the official "Jurassic Park" Logo on this theme (since it is Jurassic Park! ;-) ) and this gives us more then enough opportunity to build awesome MOCs, which is certainly also one of the reasons why this theme is so popular.

Bringing out a second wave with sets of the same movie... haven't seen the movie yet, but looking forward to... I'm speculating that there might be even less leeway for LEGO to come up with new sets?

Jurassic Park is a great theme, but since the dinosaurs are the whole POINT of the theme it also is very limited to the possibilities to design sets for the theme (because the main "characters" will be too redundant for people to want all these sets).

I mean honestly... if there would be 2-3 sets with a rancor in them... rancor pit probably wouldn't be that sought-after ^.^

I agree with most of what you say here.  But, I think they could still stretch this to one more wave with at least 4 sets.  Here's what they could do:

Mesosaurus set with the pool. (this could be the bigger set)
Brachiosaurus with a boat
Triceratops with that big hummer bus
Any other plant eater..

looks like this is the walmart "exclusive" - double bonus.

WM online out of stock....lego stores sold out too (pretty much).....Looks scary.

Jurassic World is lava hot right now! If this is sold out, for sure there will be more on the way. Was at my local TRU and most of sets are pretty much wiped out except for 75917 Raptor Rampage, even that one only had about 8 on the shelf.

Even the biggest set 75919 is sold out. Parents are really balling now a days, buying $150 (in Canada) Lego for their kids.

Edited by tacsniper

A good opportunity for a quick flip but I'm sure it'll be back. 

Jurassic World is lava hot right now! If this is sold out, for sure there will be more on the way. Was at my local TRU and most of sets are pretty much wiped out except for 75917 Raptor Rampage, even that one only had about 8 on the shelf.

Even the biggest set 75919 is sold out. Parents are really balling now a days, buying $150 (in Canada) Lego for their kids.

This is a Walmart exclusive (sort of an oxymoron).

Why would LEGO Shop at Home have this set as SOLD OUT and un-orderable with the two sets next to it listed as OUT OF STOCK SHIPPING in 30 days if this set wasn't kaput?   But its available everywhere else in the world so probably not going away... but then again, logic and rational thought processes do not seem to underlie much of TLG's behavior.  Maybe JW is way more popular than anticipated and they blew through their supply and with upcoming production schedule this 1 set is just not going to come back - especially because  the only retail buyer is Walmart and this set just hasn't been selling like.... hotcakes.  It's also at a crappy pricepoint. $39.99 - cheapos won't buy it.  people looking for a more substantial set will pass it over for 75917 - 75919.

Either way I have 10 waiting for me to pickup at a 2 nearby walmarts just in case.

Edited by cladner

Well, the current radar is showing a top 5 investment set for 2015.... If that set is limited in release, it will be big money come christmas, as many adults try to scramble to get the sets to complete their kids jurassic world collection.

This line is the hottest thing going at the moment.  My sons birthday was this past weekend, and we searched locally for the Raptor Rampage set, and managed to find one at a legoland discovery.  Practically all over the stores, except for perhaps TRU, most of the raptor and trex sets get sold rather quickly. 

Right now, the hottest sets from 2015 seem to be the ferris wheel, these jurassic world sets (minus the cheapest two sets), and the Imperial Shuttle Tydirium. 

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

Yikes... really hope this is just a fluke. This set in my area here in Canada was next to impossible to get your hands on. Walmart.ca never seemed to have it in stock online, and none of the local stores near me ever carried it. In fact if i punch in a bunch of postal codes in my area; none have it.

Might need to pop by the discovery centre or something on my way to the cottage this weekend. Have 1 for myself already, but nothing else ><

75920 is an important set in order to complete all 4 raptors (Blue, Charlie, Delta, Echo). If Lego don't produce more, this set should do very well. But then given how well this series is doing, I don't see why TLG will not produce more, unless their capacity is at the max as they pump inventory out for Sept/Oct for shipping in order to make it on shelves for the holiday season.

Edited by tacsniper