Jurassic World 2015

Spacewalker95

Just grabbed 10 Raptor Escapes from local Walmart - I was debating whether to grab 10 REs, or 5 REs and 5 RR to sell as a bundle. I figured the REs were rarer given the WM exclusivity so I opted for these.   I can always buy the RR as it's currently in stock just about everywhere except S@H.

• Like 1

Does anybody think that Lego paid 5 million dollars or more for the JW License and retire the sets in a few months,  even the Lone Ranger sets were out for about 8 months. and that 5 million is most likely on the light side, for these sets not being around for Christmas will be a shock to me and many others.    Ed

Usually I start reading an emazers post and think "Here we go again". What he wrote here really is common sense. How much LEGO pays for a license I don't know but I'm sure it's a pretty penny and they are probably bidding against others such as mega bloks etc. to obtain the rights. If the old movies were hits, the new movie is a hit and the Dino theme did well, why would TLG do such a limited run? Anything is possible I suppose, I just don't see them turning their backs on something that is the equivalent to printing money. If these don't come back on shelves in full force in the near future, I'd be very surprised.
  • Like 1

Universal (right studio) could have asked a fortune for rights long term so Lego opted for a short term and less money. They sold out, that's the goal right? Makes sense to do short runs for movies on release and rinse repeat for next big thing (see star wars).

They have SW to plan, civil war, whatever bat v superman, as well as all the new creator ninja etc. It might be done

• Like 1

I have no idea if JW is retiring, but people should not make assumptions that a theme or set has to run from movie to movie or to Holidays even. As we already saw, the Haunted House never made it to Halloween and R2-D2 didn't make it the new STAR WARS movie. Rumors have it that the new JW movies have hybrid human-dinosaurs in it, so these current sets have no bearing on that movie. As we have seen with other sets that have short runs, there could be production problems. Maybe there is a problem producing the dinosaur maxifigures. Maybe it is too costly. Maybe that's why there are only 6 real sets and a few polynags. The JW theme can come back strong and sell for another year, but I can also see a theme finished early because LEGO underestimated demand, yet figures it is too costly to have another production run.

both sets were at least out for at least 2 years.

whatever happens with JW :) i think i have plenty of these ;) but one can never have enough raptors crawling around. so will be acquiring more with every chance i get.

Does anybody think that Lego paid 5 million dollars or more for the JW License and retire the sets in a few months,  even the Lone Ranger sets were out for about 8 months. and that 5 million is most likely on the light side, for these sets not being around for Christmas will be a shock to me and many others.    Ed

I don't think they would pay 5 million dollars for the license. I believe they might pay a reasonable license fee & then royalties on sold product...

both sets were at least out for at least 2 years.

whatever happens with JW :) i think i have plenty of these ;) but one can never have enough raptors crawling around. so will be acquiring more with every chance i get.

My point was not length of time it was on the market but the timing of when they retired. Some members were like, "LEGO will never retire R2 before the new movie hits the screen or that the HH would not retire before Halloween." Well they did. These sets have nothing to do with the rumored sequel, which could be years away.

I suspect that the situation with these sets is akin to Hulkbuster Smash and demand wiped out the initial production run and TLG hasn't had time to replenish yet. As Emazers pointed out, it wouldn't make a lick of sense for TLG to pay whatever they paid for the license and only have the sets available for less than a year.

Are these drying up in B&M stores around Europe?

I''d be amazed if this theme went so early.

I do not know personally. I haven't done any fieldwork lately. But what I've heared they are still available in shops. In Europe people are on vacation now. People do not buy so many Lego. They buy swimming pools and other outdoor stuff. Maybe in September the run on these sets will start. Cause I cannot imagine they are not popular with kids.  

• Like 2

All the smaller sets including up to the T-Rex has been smashed from the Australian retailers. I've only heard fabled urban legends about sightings of the larger set. I just used all my VIP points to nab 2ea of the Raptor sets from LEGO Shop at Home ($200 of VIP). Worse case is I'll make a profit.

I think this theme is a winner regardless of a new production run or not. The most recent Dino theme, which also had 7or 8 sets did very well. It will be a short run either way and the only money that I will lose buying now is potential savings from discounting if they do restock. But just in case they don't restock...well, these will appreciate very, very well.

• Like 1

I hadn't been following this theme since I thought I had some time to pick up the sets on sale. Then last night I saw all the activity in this thread and went and bought 4 x of the T. rex and 4 x of the I Rex breakouts from Entertainment Earth. I think I poofed their IR sets. Had to pay retail, but no tax at least. I didn't want to get caught without any of these. I only had 2 sets total from the prior Lego Dino theme and I always regretted not having more. I feel like the last Dino theme wasn't around forever either, but I haven't gone and checked retirement dates. 

Anyway, lots of speculation in this thread, but that retailer screen shot that states no more sets coming in to stores is pretty compelling.  Something odd is going on here, and I don't want to be caught without any sets from the theme. 

Well, I stated before that the Battle of the Five Armies set were not heavily released.  You couldn't find them on the shelves, and it seemed like they were mostly an online/warehouse event.  While you can still pick up all of them (battle of the five armies set is getting harder to locate, but the other 3 are still found), it wasn't a massively released wave.  Just over the last few months, we had lego release movie sets for Battle of the Five Armies, Ant Man, Avengers, Jurassic World, and they have The Force Awakes, Civil War, and Batman vs Superman coming up next.  There will be a lot more Star Wars and Superhero lines too in the near future, and I think they have angry birds coming up too (could be another short release burst).   Lego has become a big time powerhouse for creating sets for flagship blockbuster films, and so i'm sure it's like a rotating door for them.  

The avengers sets don't' seem heavily released either.  It's just that the demand wasn't the same.  Some of the sets have sat at my walmarts for a long time, not needing a restock.  While others like Hulk buster flew out the door at first, but then demand for it caught up.  But, the thing with the superheroes line is that they are an ongoing theme, and we've already seen iron man in iron man 3 films, and have seen the rest of the characters numerous times.  With Jurassic World, this was the first time they were released.  I think they mostly definitely could come back, but I think it will be in limited bursts, and only found at lego and lego shop at home.  

Here is the latest look at the EU inventory for Jurassic World.  The numbers in yellow show the amount sold yesterday and the percentage of inventory sold.

eu_jw_inventory.thumb.jpg.7af64d5a16a817

That's some great info from someone that's reputable! Instead of whole lot of speculation. I'm may be eating my words from my last post but time will tell.

Looks like 75919 IRB, 75917 RR, 75918 TRT, and 75920 RE are still out of stock.  75919 went OOS at many places yesterday.  I knew of 4 locations one could still get them, but now those options are gone.  75918 and 75920 also are OOS at rrp at the usual retail suspects.  Interestingly, prices on amazon jumped much higher today.  RE is now in the mid 70's, up from the low 60's.  IR shot up into the mid 170's, and trex tracker is now close to 100.  The amount of resellers has also dropped by a few.  

All good signs ..

• Like 2

I just did Wal-Mart scan on there app and went through close to 35 walmarts and found 3 red neck Wal-Mart's in Middle of nowhere and secured 7 more. They are going fast. I'm am officially broke now till payday. I am upset I passed on at least 6 IRex sets for 99$ last week. Hope they stay around. 

• Like 1

Strange but its not going up in price on eBay for weeks...

it (JE 75920) finally is - just broke the $65 BIN Free Shipping barrier.  Next stop $75.  easily $100 with nice customer feedback because they are soooo  happy you sold them one by xmas if it really is done.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2