10227 - UCS B-Wing Starfighter

MaximusLegous

Guest AnnexBrett

There is something weird about this whole situation. LEGO rarely discounts any set 50%, especially a UCS STAR WARS set that is relatively new. Sales must have been just awful and they want to clean house and pimp the new X-Wing or they are trying to drum up some sort of false interest in the set to stimulate sales like the Minecraft set. Plus a maximum of 5 sales is not typical in situations like this.

I think max 5 limitations are not about "let have everybody have a slice of the cake" or "we dont want XYZ to own 10-15-20 B-wing". Its more about the shipping and logistics of the orders...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough then. Just thought I would share just in case. I don't think it had a restock date when I looked earlier in the day, it just said out of stock, though clearly it does now.

Now the status has changed from ship on May 16th to "out of stock, will ship in 30 days". The "add to bag" button is also still there to allow more orders to be placed. I'm guessing the ship date may shift further out by the time this sale is over end of day Sunday, and Lego will be busy cranking out more b-wings in the month of May than the entire 7 months since its release. If I run Lego productions, no way I would EOL it now.

Well it could be worse. At least neither of us is Canadian.

It is quite common up here in the Great White North to confuse various forum members, but this was exceptionally bad on my part. So you're not secretly emazers with a second account. Maybe I can't believe anything anymore. Hello nihilism!

Fair enough then. Just thought I would share just in case. I don't think it had a restock date when I looked earlier in the day, it just said out of stock, though clearly it does now.

Now the status has changed from ship on May 16th to "out of stock, will ship in 30 days". The "add to bag" button is also still there to allow more orders to be placed. I'm guessing the ship date may shift further out by the time this sale is over end of day Sunday, and Lego will be busy cranking out more b-wings in the month of May than the entire 7 months since its release. If I run Lego productions, no way I would EOL it now.

I wouldn't make too many extras, though. Who is going to be buying B-Wings from S&**** when there will sets available under MSRP on other third party sites? I'd make enough to meet the huge demand this sale created and a small surplus. If they end up with a ton on inventory that won't move, we'll be seeing this set as a Black Friday discount.

Update: I replied back to the email from Lego UK (after Ed's initial comment) and queried why it says it's being restocked if they said it is EOL. This is the reply I got; "I apologize for the confusion caused by the information on our U.S. ShopAtHome site. My colleague was correct in saying that the item is out of stock in the U.S.. It will be coming back later this month for orders placed previously but not for new orders. I just attempted to place an order and this item can no longer be ordered in the U.S. It is possible, but very unlikely, that the item will be carried again in the U.S. this year, but that is currently not in the forecast." Take from that what you will...

"I apologize for the confusion caused by the information on our U.S. ShopAtHome site. My colleague was correct in saying that the item is out of stock in the U.S.. It will be coming back later this month for orders placed previously but not for new orders. I just attempted to place an order and this item can no longer be ordered in the U.S.

It is possible, but very unlikely, that the item will be carried again in the U.S. this year, but that is currently not in the forecast."

That email reply is as confusing or informative as lawyer talk; a whole lot of jargon that doesn't really answer a thing. I tried asking their customer service about a couple of things before and got the same kind of run around. I could have just asked what my bedroom wall thought and got a better response, seriously. :-S

Obviously a lot of us are buying this set either as an investment or for a quick flip. TRU sold 167 B-wings on Ebay this morning. There's no way of knowing, but I'd guess they probably sold around that many on their website as well. Assuming Lego sold around 200 at that price, your up to about 600 sets being sold so far. My store has 32 in stock. Multiply that by the 90+ Lego stores nationwide and now you're talking about over 3,000 sets being sold (and that's conservative). I think Ebay's sales total for B-wings for the last 3 months was 24 sets, and that included several selling for $174.

So here's my question: How much is the price going to plummet on this mediocre set? Will flippers even be able to make much of a profit? I could see it going for as little as $130 for awhile. For me, even at $150, I'd be taking a loss, But I hope I'm wrong.

Sell for $150

paid -$108

ebay fees -$ 17

shipping -$ 28

----------------

- $3 loss

The only advantage will be if this set goes back up to $199 retail and stays there.

Your math is spot on there. I would say it's going to be a while before a profit will be yielded. Maybe by Christmas you could yield a slight profit if this sets sells out until it is retired.

Your math is spot on there. I would say it's going to be a while before a profit will be yielded. Maybe by Christmas you could yield a slight profit if this sets sells out until it is retired.

Rumor is it is going to be retired in the U.S. Which is something I see as a legitimate possibility. If the set sold poorly, then you never know what'll happen. I am willing to hold it for a little while, so it works out.

The Twilight was from the Clone Wars cartoon so it didn't have much of an adult following. The B-Wing is a classic Star Wars Ship and most adult collectors like it (for the most part). Also, the B-Wing doesn't have a "team Edward or team Jacob" bumper sticker on it. :P

The Twilight was a minifigure-scale Clone Wars set; the 10227 is an Ultimate Collector's Edition original trilogy set that retailed at twice the MSRP and had a much shorter production run (if the B-Wing is really EOLing now). Yes, they were both clearanced out, but there isn't much similarity between them from an investor's perspective.

Lego.com is no longer showing a restocking date and not allowing sets to be added to carts. Did we just hit EOL on this set? or they just need a chance to catch up on the out of stock sales they made over the last two days?

Lego.com is no longer showing a restocking date and not allowing sets to be added to carts.

Did we just hit EOL on this set? or they just need a chance to catch up on the out of stock sales they made over the last two days?

Just checked and Lego S@H shows B-Wing "Sold Out". Usually, you see this when it's EOL. Anyone know if a set has been shown as "Sold Out" and then released again? I personally can't think of any.

Anyone know if a set has been shown as "Sold Out" and then released again? I personally can't think of any.

About a month or so ago, Series 9 of the Minifigures was shown as "Sold Out" on Shop-at-Home with the "Retiring Soon" tag on them, and then roughly one to two weeks later they were back in stock saying "Available Now". That's the only time that sticks out I can recall.

I really don't understand why people think the price to sell these won't be close to retail. I get that there will be some people who sell fast to make a little but most of us won't sell for $150. Why would I want to do that? You can't get it anywhere now for less than retail other than eBay and most of the sites will charge tax and shipping. Keep In mind most people know nothing of all of this and just want to buy one for themselves or their kids to build. I figure at worst a BIN on eBay around the holidays for $190 will be a no brainer.