10227 - UCS B-Wing Starfighter

MaximusLegous

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously a lot of us are buying this set either as an investment or for a quick flip. TRU sold 167 B-wings on Ebay this morning. There's no way of knowing, but I'd guess they probably sold around that many on their website as well. Assuming Lego sold around 200 at that price, your up to about 600 sets being sold so far. My store has 32 in stock. Multiply that by the 90+ Lego stores nationwide and now you're talking about over 3,000 sets being sold (and that's conservative). I think Ebay's sales total for B-wings for the last 3 months was 24 sets, and that included several selling for $174.

So here's my question: How much is the price going to plummet on this mediocre set? Will flippers even be able to make much of a profit? I could see it going for as little as $130 for awhile. For me, even at $150, I'd be taking a loss, But I hope I'm wrong.

Sell for $150

paid -$108

ebay fees -$ 17

shipping -$ 28

----------------

- $3 loss

The only advantage will be if this set goes back up to $199 retail and stays there.

I'm not sure why you're calling this a mediocre set. They have one built and on display at my local Lego store, and it's a much cooler set than The Obi-Wan starfighter or the Imperial shuttle that were the last UCS sets to go EOL. In my opinion it's also cooler looking and more fun to build than the super star destroyer would be. I don't think it's a mediocre set and I think it's going to be a good seller in a few years.

BTW TRU sales was a fake.....dont count on it....everybody getting refund....u can buy 10227 @shop.lego.com now. Price on 10227 will be back to normal in couple a month. I am optimist )))

My TRU eBay order was refunded but not the toysrus.com one yet. Not sure what is going on there....

I got 15 B-wings I have them all boxed up and put away for a few years, like I said why flip 5 for a $80-100 profit on 5 of them, and then you take the $100 you made and blow it on something else. Hold on to them and you should make at least $500 or more profit in a few years.

Hi, I emailed Lego UK customer service to ask why May the 4th deals are not the same in US and EU, and in particular why we couldn't have a 50% off B-Wing in UK etc etc. In a long and detailed email back from them, part of the reply was (to quote); "...certain sets or ranges have different levels of popularity in different markets, and also different production release and exit dates. Our B-Wing Starfighter set 10227 has ceased production in the US (which has its own dedicated manufacturing facility) and is no longer available in that market. This is why this set was significantly reduced in price until stock ran out." so if this is true, I would grab a set in USA lego shops while you can... and if you could send me one at 50% off price too, that would be great :)

It may or may not be retired, but these different people don't know what they're talking about. It's probably supposed to make you feel better that we will no longer be able to get the set but you still can (whether or not it's true is a different story). Since TLG doesn't announce production info, it wouldn't make sense that some random person in customer service just tells everyone such information.

Hold on to them and you should make at least $500 or more profit in a few years.

Maybe I am not as optimistic as you, emazers, but how long in your opinion, do you think it will take to get to the $500 mark? I am just not exactly sure what "a few years" is defined as. Thanks! :cheese:

I agree but this won't get as high as most UCS due to the fact investors loaded up on it with the ridiculous sales today. It will take awhile to make a decent profit.

At least that is what I'm telling myself for not buying any. I think the Han figure is where its at.

The fact that the set was discounted by 50% doesn't mean much in a year or two to investors. Remember, the Rogue Shadow was at the same discount to $25 and it's now at $120-150 range. Sure, it's not a UCS series, but the B-wing could actually be a more desirable set due to the size of it.

It will all come down to supply and demand. And patience on the part of sellers. Right after retirement the price will probably move to $220-230 and slowly rise from there. If Lego sells 20,000 of them now at the discounted rate, perhaps over half will be opened within 3-6 months. Another percentage will be sold as soon as a seller can make $50 out of it after fees. And another percentage won't be sold for another 5-10 years.

You just won't be seeing 100+ listings for this set for a constant year after retirement. There will be a large amount, then it will steadily dwindle down from there. And no one will care what the seller paid for the set in the first place.

It would be great if that was true, but the restock date of May 16th is making me doubt the validity of the email.

Fair enough then. Just thought I would share just in case. I don't think it had a restock date when I looked earlier in the day, it just said out of stock, though clearly it does now.

Possibly production was cut short due to some reviewers complaints about the structural integrity of the set, or they wanted to make room for a new UCS (Ewoks...divisive in the SW universe, but I am a fan) and this was an opportune time to discontinue...or that Lego customer service rep knows about as much as most Lego employees. That being said, I'd be quite happy with an EOL UCS set so quickly. Turnover is great for investors! Now if they would only 50% off the Live Star and put it to rest...

I'm calling shenanigans. While it's possible that this set would be abruptly discontinued due to slow sales and poor design, the fact Lego is accepting back orders on their own site leads me to believe we're simply witnessing a massive demand for a 50% discount product that has hovered up all available inventory. Seems you can still go to Walmart or Target and pay retail all day for this set...

While I tend to doubt this myself, wasn't it just a week ago that people were saying 50% off was BS? A bit off topic, but I've always thought that there is a hidden market for that one. Any EVE players here? The B-Wing with minor modifications could look a lot like the Catalyst.

While I tend to doubt this myself, wasn't it just a week ago that people were saying 50% off was BS?

A bit off topic, but I've always thought that there is a hidden market for that one. Any EVE players here? The B-Wing with minor modifications could look a lot like the Catalyst.

From now on I'm only trusting you, then.

something is tugging at me about the B-Wing. I think it is going EOL earlier than most UCS sets due to poor sales. plus, the x-wing is out and will outsell the b-wing. hence, the b-wing will continue to be a slow mover once the 50% sale is done. i just don't see lego producing more 10227s now the x-wing is around. I also think lego is shipping more 10227s in mid-May to 1) honor orders made this weekend (in and out of stores), 2) avoid bad press if they FUBAR'd their SW May 4th activities, and 3) continue to clear inventory. i assume the next question is just how long 10227s will sit in warehouses once production has stopped due to poor demand

Forgive me for being daft, but I guess I'm not following your response????

Sorry, emes, I meant that your information is usually solid. Although I am confused. I might mean emazers, but I may have posted just based on your icon, which is the same. Now I'm confused.

something is tugging at me about the B-Wing.

I think it is going EOL earlier than most UCS sets due to poor sales. plus, the x-wing is out and will outsell the b-wing. hence, the b-wing will continue to be a slow mover once the 50% sale is done. i just don't see lego producing more 10227s now the x-wing is around.

I also think lego is shipping more 10227s in mid-May to 1) honor orders made this weekend (in and out of stores), 2) avoid bad press if they FUBAR'd their SW May 4th activities, and 3) continue to clear inventory.

i assume the next question is just how long 10227s will sit in warehouses once production has stopped due to poor demand

There is something weird about this whole situation. LEGO rarely discounts any set 50%, especially a UCS STAR WARS set that is relatively new. Sales must have been just awful and they want to clean house and pimp the new X-Wing or they are trying to drum up some sort of false interest in the set to stimulate sales like the Minecraft set. Plus a maximum of 5 sales is not typical in situations like this.

Yeah, it is very strange.....50% discounts are extremely rare when it comes to Lego. Getting the B wing this weekend for $100 is great, but TLG could ruin this all if they decide to discount this set this heavily again. Hopefully that doesn't happen, otherwise it will kill the aftermarket potential for us all. Sorry I don't mean to sound negative, this whole situation is just really weird in my opinion. On that note I'm going to go shop for Lego sets other than the B wing for once lol

Sorry, emes, I meant that your information is usually solid. Although I am confused. I might mean emazers, but I may have posted just based on your icon, which is the same. Now I'm confused.

Well it could be worse. At least neither of us is Canadian.