TRUTH Tactics : and now the end is here

Alpinemaps

the store that gave me crud about PM in the past is now out of business, good ridance. if i remember correctly 10off75 and 15off100 stacked with % coupons? this worked even on/during 20% off starwars sets. correct me if im wrong, however 5off25 did not stack then, so this one probably will not either. these are good for minifigs if you find 6 rare/sought after ones.

I left negative feedback for a TRU manager before(during one of their promos for the free polybag, the manager refused to proceed with our transaction.  I was not even using coupons or PM.  He just did not think that the poly should be free.). The areas General Manager called me and asked for more info and I got a few extra polybags for the inconvenience.

The opposite. You could give them a poor review for being unhelpful.

I don't think that this is the right approach of the poor feedback is solely based on the coupon issue . 

I think he said he can't even get a PM without being treated like a criminal or something to that effect...

I wouldn't say that my TRU is UNhelpful, it's just they they will not go out of their way to be helpful.(Maybe the same thing depending on how you look at it)  If there is a promotion, I have to be the one that brings it up or they will not do anything about it.  If I try to stack any coupons, or use coupons that are electronic, I am denied.  If I ask for a price match, it is done with disdain.  There are one helpful employee there, but it's just because he knows I'm an AFOL.  At the register, it's a different story.  I only go there if everyone else in town is out of stock or it's an exclusive.

Edited by Huskers1236

I'm in NYC for the weekend. Does anyone know if the Times Square TRU will take the coupons off your phone, in case I see something I get the urge to buy?  Thanks for any info.  I'm a shy coupon user, so don't like to even try if I'm likely to get turned down :)

I know this isn't really a TRUTH tactic since I wasn't there on a Thursday, but I thought I'd follow up on my situation.  I only had 20 minutes to run into the Times Square TRU Sunday morning before my train left.  I quickly saw that most of the LEGO was marked up, many were just the usual TRU website mark up, but sets like Pet Shop and Palace Cinema were $179.99! But I saw the Ferris Wheel, Fairground Mixer and Sand Crawler at least were all marked at normal retail price. They also had the Tumbler, Slave-1, Sea Cow, and Tie Fighter (and I think some other exclusives) behind the checkout counter, but I didn't really pay attention to how those were priced as I didn't see them until I was involved with checking out.

Anyway, I decided to go with the Ferris Wheel.  The girl at the counter looked long and hard at the coupon on my phone, and hesitated before scanning it.  It read the coupon but then she said it wasn't applying.  I was ready to quit trying at that point (yes, I give up easily), but she asked me to bring the coupon back up so she could read the exclusions on the bottom.  Then I realized  that it might not have applied because it is supposed to be used with the TRU credit card, so I told her that.  She called for assistance, they re-ran the transaction, this time hitting the button for using the TRU card, and it went through no problem.  This seems a good opportunity to pick up the few regularly priced exclusives for anyone who can get there on a Thursday (and soon Saturdays)

Edited by Jondog21

I know this isn't really a TRUTH tactic since I wasn't there on a Thursday, but I thought I'd follow up on my situation.  I only had 20 minutes to run into the Times Square TRU Sunday morning before my train left.  I quickly saw that most of the LEGO was marked up, many were just the usual TRU website mark up, but sets like Pet Shop and Palace Cinema were $179.99! But I saw the Ferris Wheel, Fairground Mixer and Sand Crawler at least were all marked at normal retail price. They also had the Tumbler, Slave-1, Sea Cow, and Tie Fighter (and I think some other exclusives) behind the checkout counter, but I didn't really pay attention to how those were priced as I didn't see them until I was involved with checking out.

Anyway, I decided to go with the Ferris Wheel.  The girl at the counter looked long and hard at the coupon on my phone, and hesitated before scanning it.  It read the coupon but then she said it wasn't applying.  I was ready to quit trying at that point (yes, I give up easily), but she asked me to bring the coupon back up so she could read the exclusions on the bottom.  Then I realized  that it might not have applied because it is supposed to be used with the TRU credit card, so I told her that.  She called for assistance, they re-ran the transaction, this time hitting the button for using the TRU card, and it went through no problem.  This seems a good opportunity to pick up the few regularly priced exclusives for anyone who can get there on a Thursday (and soon Saturdays)

How is parking down there?

that I can't answer. I took the train.  But it's Manhattan, so I doubt there is anything cheap.  I guess that would eat up the savings pretty quickly unless you are able to load up on sets while there.  There are various places to check out on the different floors, so I could see it being fairly easy to pull off multiple coupon uses on a single visit.  

A multiple floor TRU......hahaha. Only in NY!

It's 4 floors and has a ferris wheel in it. The good stuff is on floor 2. It's rumored to be closing at the end of 2015 because of a 10x increase in the cost of leasing the space. From the outside it's one of the most unattractive store fronts in Times Square.

You're nuts if you drive down there... and sadly, there is no TRU parking lot for flipping your hot cakes!

• Like 2

Local hoarders have it made, real local.  I've never been to NYC.  Someday...

Our taxi went past a very large complex in Queens that had a Costco, TRU, and about 6 other large stores. The parking lot was massive... You could flip hot cakes and hire teenagers smoking in the parking lot all day long.

NYC isn't for people who don't like busy, but it's hella fun when you're from a city 1/30th the size of the New York metropolitan area.

• Like 1

Our taxi went past a very large complex in Queens that had a Costco, TRU, and about 6 other large stores. The parking lot was massive... You could flip hot cakes and hire teenagers smoking in the parking lot all day long.

NYC isn't for people who don't like busy, but it's hella fun when you're from a city 1/30th the size of the New York metropolitan area.

You're describing just about every shopping center in SoCal.

20% off ferris wheel can easily offset the weekend parking over there. maybe i should make a trip there for it

Is the Ferris Wheel orderable in store? Can you do a TRUTH and coupon stacking if they order it for you at CS?

Alpine,

Based on my experience, you maybe able to do it...however, the issue is the online process to order in the store.

When the store creates the order (from their computer system), they are unable to scan the barcoded coupons and apply the TRUTH. So what they have to do is... calculate the percentage off by hand/calculator, then generate a promo code in their system that takes off that exact dollar amount on the order, and then apply it to the order. You then have to print out the order and pay in store at the front register.

This all takes time and work and takes away from other customers. However, the biggest issue is that the order can be a "red flag"...as corporate TRU questions the reason for the promo code that was generated by an employee. There is no track record of a coupon being used, since there is no physical barcoded coupon that was scanned. (Their computer system does not allow this). This makes corporate TRU think that something is shady or that an employee is hooking up a friend with a deal, etc. This can cause issues for the store, the managers and the employees. I believe most try to avoid the headache, and understandably so.

Just my experience...

• Like 2