KMart/Sears - Shop Your Way Rewards and points discussion

7 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

I got the same email.... $4 off of $35...

You must have been buying the "expensive" sets ... my last 7 purchases at KMart.com have all been baseplates and roadplates :)

11 hours ago, donbee said:

Does Kmart do anything for force Friday? I have a lot of bonus bucks saved up. Was going to spend them tonight, but maybe I should wait.

One word of advice: don't bank your SYW points. Spend them as fast as you get them. It's all men at the pumps but the water level keeps rising at Sears Inc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil B said:

You must have been buying the "expensive" sets ... my last 7 purchases at KMart.com have all been baseplates and roadplates :)

One word of advice: don't bank your SYW points. Spend them as fast as you get them. It's all men at the pumps but the water level keeps rising at Sears Inc.

I really hope sears holdings manages to get it together, i'm really enjoying SYW max so far. The biggest order I've placed was $18.00 lol... Hopefully will get something better next week.

I noticed that this time the surprise offer EXCLUDES clearance, anyone else get that? I've never had that happen before.

Edited by MinifigW

5 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

I really hope sears holdings manages to get it together, i'm really enjoying SYW max so far. The biggest order I've placed was $18.00 lol... Hopefully will get something better next week.

I noticed that this time the surprise offer EXCLUDES clearance, anyone else get that? I've never had that happen before.

Probably online clearance.  I've never had the point/coupon use be denied in-store.

14 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

I've just looked at my order history, and the smallest discount from RRP I've gotten from Sears/Kmart in the last year was ~25%, with my average discount being 40%. That includes shipping. So unless they get their stock at 25% of MSRP, they made a loss on every transaction with me. From what I read others do here, they make a loss on most of us SYW Rewards members. Of course, there's granny and tons of clueless customers who don't shop like us, but numbers show they are not enough to compete with other online retailers. Sears hasn't turned a profit in 5 years, and losses are huge. They might ditch the stores altogether and try to survive on SYW.com only, but to be frank, they would just be take-over bait (like Jet.com).

9 hours ago, Phil B said:

I've just looked at my order history, and the smallest discount from RRP I've gotten from Sears/Kmart in the last year was ~25%, with my average discount being 40%. That includes shipping. So unless they get their stock at 25% of MSRP, they made a loss on every transaction with me. From what I read others do here, they make a loss on most of us SYW Rewards members. Of course, there's granny and tons of clueless customers who don't shop like us, but numbers show they are not enough to compete with other online retailers. Sears hasn't turned a profit in 5 years, and losses are huge. They might ditch the stores altogether and try to survive on SYW.com only, but to be frank, they would just be take-over bait (like Jet.com).

I had the interesting opportunity recently to see Walmart's profit margins on sets sold in store (and therefor with a higher overhead cost than their online products). This occurred while a manager was explaining why he couldn't do further markdowns on items that he had sitting on clearance for months, and he showed me several examples of their costs on certain sized sets (evidenced by a percentage seen on their Iphone devices when scanned)

Carnage set RRP $12.99 MRKD $9.00 WMs profit: -0.5% ~ $9.25

Pegasus flying thing $39.99 MRKD $19.00 WMs profit -10ish % ~ $21

Some friends set $49.99 MRKD $26.00 WMs profit -13% WM buy in price ~ $30

i have several others, but that's enough for now.

As you can see by Walmart's numbers, they are getting the larger sets almost 40% off, with the smaller sets averaging at 30% off retail after all costs. If Kmart gets a similar discount when purchasing from Lego, they are doing better than most people assume. Sure WE are killing them with SYW rewards and coupons (I have averaged 50%-70% off), but especially in their more trafficked stores I'm sure they are making something. I really just hope that they can hold on to a eccommerce presence and a few retail stores, that would be ideal for them (survival / possible profitablility) and us (for cheap Lego).

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

I had the interesting opportunity recently to see Walmart's profit margins on sets sold in store (and therefor with a higher overhead cost than their online products). This occurred while a manager was explaining why he couldn't do further markdowns on items that he had sitting on clearance for months, and he showed me several examples of their costs on certain sized sets (evidenced by a percentage seen on their Iphone devices when scanned)

Carnage set RRP $12.99 MRKD $9.00 WMs profit: -0.5% ~ $9.25

Pegasus flying thing $39.99 MRKD $19.00 WMs profit -10ish % ~ $21

Some friends set $49.99 MRKD $26.00 WMs profit -13% WM buy in price ~ $30

i have several others, but that's enough for now.

As you can see by Walmart's numbers, they are getting the larger sets almost 40% off, with the smaller sets averaging at 30% off retail after all costs. If Kmart gets a similar discount when purchasing from Lego, they are doing better than most people assume. Sure WE are killing them with SYW rewards and coupons (I have averaged 50%-70% off), but especially in their more trafficked stores I'm sure they are making something. I really just hope that they can hold on to a eccommerce presence and a few retail stores, that would be ideal for them (survival / possible profitablility) and us (for cheap Lego).

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for sharing these numbers. The reason I said a lower buy-in price is because I factored in other fixed costs the store has. Yes they might make a few bucks here and there, but most of that is used to keep the lights on and pay their staff.

49 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Thanks for sharing these numbers. The reason I said a lower buy-in price is because I factored in other fixed costs the store has. Yes they might make a few bucks here and there, but most of that is used to keep the lights on and pay their staff.

That's all they are hoping for right now. I never got to see Kmart during it's height (waayyyy too young) but I appreciate the impact they have had on the American retail sector, (that and the fact that I'm getting sets at prices that for me usually take manager negotiations at Walmart) hence my more optimistic hopes for their survival. 

42 minutes ago, BrickMarket said:

Anyone else having trouble checking out at Kmart.com today? Tried paying with Paypal and a CC to no avail....

Just placed an order with PP 5 minutes ago with no problems.

Anyway, I have had a fantastic last few days. 7 orders from Kmart in the last two weeks.

Today I ordered:

1 garbage truck $14.39 -$6.00 in points -> $8.39

1 Jedi Interceptor $20.59 -$10.00 in points -> $10.59

= $20.40ish after tax (free SYW max shipping)

10,500 bonus points back! (spend $15, get $10 back SYW coupon)

Brings me to 6 Garbage trucks at an average buy in of $8.50!!! Whooo hoo!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kiltyoneal said:

Be sure to play the SYW Sweeps if you want a few extra bucks on those orders ...

$10 For 10,000
10-4-10000
BIGW1N4ME

$10,000 Basket Of Wow
10k-of-WOW
BIGW1N4ME

There's a Wild Win Wednesday (on Weds!) that pumps out some extra points too.

Thanks! I think I ended up with 10k points out of this.

• Like 1