71040 - Disney Castle

jaisonline

4 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

I thought about listing the one I picked up last night for a QFLL oppurtunity until I saw that. Too big, too expensive, too much risk to take to make $25-$30.

My wife and I like Disney so we were planning on building this. I'll probably pick up one and list it for $500-$550 to see if any one wants it.  If it does sell in a few weeks I'll just build it. 

• Like 2

Some clown sold one this morning for $410.....shipped. I'm trying to make the math work. Someone smarter help me out here:

1. Purchase price: Let's say he bought it at LEGOLAND with the 10% discount, That makes the price $315. I suppose he could have a tax-exempt certificate and that's the OTD price. If not, let's add another $25 back in tax. I'm not sure if you can even roll-up to LEGOLAND with a tax-exempt status certificate and that is okay with them? So either $315 or $340 purchase price, but It could be as high as $380 if purchased at a LEGO retail store however.

2. Selling price: He sold the set for $400 USD + $10 USD shipping. Total revenue here is at $410 USD.

3. Ebay/Paypal fees: Let's assume he's a TRS. Isn't that still like 9% Ebay fee + 3% Paypal? If so, that's $53 USD in fees. If he's not a TRS, then it could equal $57 in fees.

4. Shipping: He charged $10 economy shipping. Admittedly I'm no discount shipping expert, but I do know this is a big A** heavy box. It's a two-hand carry. Probably close to DS size. I would have to think shipping is going to run around $20, probably more if insured. I'll go on the low-end here though, and only use what he charged for my calculation, which was $10 USD.

Best case estimate: $410 sales price - $315 inventory - $53 fees - $10 shipping  = $32 profit

Average estimate: $410 sales price - $340 inventory - $53 fees - $10 shipping  = $7 profit

Worst case estimate: $410 sales price - $340 inventory - $57 fees - $20 shipping  = $-7 loss

What am I missing here? Guys like this totally screw it for anyone else trying to make a reasonable sale in these scenarios.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Some clown sold one this morning for $410.....shipped. I'm trying to make the math work. Someone smarter help me out here:

1. Purchase price: Let's say he bought it at LEGOLAND with the 10% discount, That makes the price $315. I suppose he could have a tax-exempt certificate and that's the OTD price. If not, let's add another $25 back in tax. I'm not sure if you can even roll-up to LEGOLAND with a tax-exempt status certificate and that is okay with them? So either $315 or $340 purchase price, but It could be as high as $380 if purchased at a LEGO retail store however.

2. Selling price: He sold the set for $400 USD + $10 USD shipping. Total revenue here is at $410 USD.

3. Ebay/Paypal fees: Let's assume he's a TRS. Isn't that still like 9% Ebay fee + 3% Paypal? If so, that's $53 USD in fees. If he's not a TRS, then it could equal $57 in fees.

4. Shipping: He charged $10 economy shipping. Admittedly I'm now discount shipping expert. But I do know this is big A** heavy box. It's a two-hand carry. Probably close to DS size. I would have to think shipping is going to run around $20, probably more if insured. I'll go on the low-end here though, and only use what he charged for my calculation, which was $10 USD.

Best case estimate: $410 sales price - $315 inventory - $53 fees - $10 shipping  = $32 profit

Average estimate: $410 sales price - $340 inventory - $53 fees - $10 shipping  = $7 profit

Worst case estimate: $410 sales price - $340 inventory - $57 fees - $20 shipping  = $-7 loss

What am I missing here? Guys like this totally screw it for anyone else trying to make a reasonable sale in these scenarios.

Yup.  And this is why I am amazed why some folks seem to just waste their time doing this for a few dollars here and there.  It's better than nothing, I guess, but my time is worth something. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

4. Shipping: He charged $10 economy shipping. Admittedly I'm now discount shipping expert. But I do know this is big A** heavy box. It's a two-hand carry. Probably close to DS size. I would have to think shipping is going to run around $20, probably more if insured. I'll go on the low-end here though, and only use what he charged for my calculation, which was $10 USD.

Dude...I just needed 7 bucks to get some Camel lights, ok? :)

• Like 2

for some resellers, quick flipping even for next to nothing is like an addiction. 

3 minutes ago, supergman said:

Yup.  And this is why I am amazed why some folks seem to just waste their time doing this for a few dollars here and there.  It's better than nothing, I guess, but my time is worth something. 

2 minutes ago, BrickStanley74 said:

Dude...I just needed 7 bucks to get some Camel lights, ok? :)

zRHSux6z.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

They've changed their user ID 4 times in 2 years and have a feedback of 1. I think they just stole $410.

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Edgarama said:

purchased w VIP points,

Definite possibility. But what's the rush to undercut everyone else with listings by $30-$40? I understand the QFLL mentality, I just don't understand the quick flip race to price cut all the competitors. You're really only hurting yourself.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

3. Ebay /Paypal fees: Let's assume he's a TRS. Isn't that still like 9% Ebay fee + 3% Paypal? If so, that's $53 USD in fees. If he's not a TRS, then it could equal $57 in fees.

4. Shipping: He charged $10 economy shipping. Admittedly I'm no discount shipping expert, but I do know this is a big A** heavy box. It's a two-hand carry. Probably close to DS size. I would have to think shipping is going to run around $20, probably more if insured. I'll go on the low-end here though, and only use what he charged for my calculation, which was $10 USD.

14 minutes ago, Edgarama said:

, purchased w VIP points,

LEGOLAND employees get a higher discount (30%, I think).  Not sure what discount level LEGO Store employees get. 

$350 purchase price, $245 discounted price, $265 after tax.  $410 - $265 - $53 fees - $10 shipping = $82 profit

That assumes he fulfills and actually ships the product.

• Like 1