71040 - Disney Castle

jaisonline

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Manse1001 said:

I think 1 per person for this set is guaranteed!

Your being a little optimistic, more like 1 per household.... for now!

It's likely to be around for many years and I'll not be ordering mine for a very long time yet unless there's the chance of a Xmas shortage. We all know that LEGO can get the production lines going at full pelt within seconds and this is too large a set to take up space for many years to come. Xmas 2016 may have a shortage but, the shops will be bursting with them after that.

This set has generated huge interest so that tells me it'll likely outlive the Death Star.

12 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Your being a little optimistic, more like 1 per household.... for now!

It's likely to be around for many years and I'll not be ordering mine for a very long time yet unless there's the chance of a Xmas shortage. We all know that LEGO can get the production lines going at full pelt within seconds and this is too large a set to take up space for many years to come. Xmas 2016 may have a shortage but, the shops will be bursting with them after that.

This set has generated huge interest so that tells me it'll likely outlive the Death Star.

I agree and I would want a healthy discount too before I bite. This set references many timeless classics so will not be dated within 2 or 3 years like Minecraft Village or some others.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't see myself ever making any money on this set. It'll be around for many years. I think an xmas shortage is unlikely as we're so far out, and Lego should be able to gauge demand and adjust production in time, I would think. Unless the demand outweighs their production capacity for the required parts or something.

22 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Yeah, I don't see myself ever making any money on this set. It'll be around for many years. I think an xmas shortage is unlikely as we're so far out, and Lego should be able to gauge demand and adjust production in time, I would think. Unless the demand outweighs their production capacity for the required parts or something.

I think it’s increasingly likely that we’ll be saying that about the new large exclusive releases going forward.  For me 10253: Big Ben falls into that category as well, I expect to be retired before it is.    

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

We have seen from the Porsche that day 1 shortage combined with production issues is a way to make more money quick flipping than waiting 3 or 4 years for it to retire. Is it worth the risk, though?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

We have seen from the Porsche that day 1 shortage combined with production issues is a way to make more money quick flipping than waiting 3 or 4 years for it to retire. Is it worth the risk, though?

Not for me anyway, not at €350 a pop plus the risk of returns.

Yep was going to say the same thing, there was a lot of hype around the Porsche and I decided not to bite and miss out on the chance to flip 1 or 2 for a quick profit during the VIP 2 week window, anything after that was due to packaging issues. However, have Lego learnt to make more sets for which inevitably will be a hugely demanded set on day one of release? Yes you could buy one or two under different accounts but if production isn't an issue then you are stuck with a £290 set that won't be retiring for years! For me, I want to build it, so I'll buy one, if I can flip within the first few weeks for a quick profit then maybe I'll be tempted, if not I'll be building it as originally planned!!
  • Like 1

For Uk, The only reason the porsche was able to be qf was that most lego stores received the item on 1st June, whereas online release was one month after, however the online release was delayed hence anyone who managed to get from on store could easily have sold for £100-150+ rrp up until start of July.  

Now you are lucky to sell the porsche for £300-335, after fees not really worth it.

This set (from what I have read) will be available from 15th August to VIPS and general release on 1st September. So you only have a 2 week window to qfll on ebay to people who do not have lego vip. 

Lego VIP maybe free to sign up but judging by previous sets that have been sold on ebay pre general release there is  a potential to make a qfll.

I think you guus are under estimating the jelous feelings of disneyland fans and their many social clubs.  Fans will demand and get snow white castle within 2 years which will push this set out of production.  Then the shanghai castle could be next not to mention all the rides and attractions. I do not think this will last 5 years by any means the disney line has too much potential and lego needs some real investment winners to keep afols interested in these huge expensive sets. 

Jmo 

• Like 1

So ehm... who else doesn't really like the overall design of it?

I mean I love the minifigs, especially mickey and tinker bell.

I love the clocks with that just before midnight timing (or before high noon ^^ ).

I love some of the interior details, especially the fantasia reference and of course the once upon a time book ;-)

I just feel like this should have been bigger/more detailed with a more sophisticated technique for the towers. This way it looks like the trade-off it really is.

Then again normal people probably can't afford anything much more expensive and most people will already struggle to buy this one.

33 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

So ehm... who else doesn't really like the overall design of it?

I mean I love the minifigs, especially mickey and tinker bell.

I love the clocks with that just before midnight timing (or before high noon ^^ ).

I love some of the interior details, especially the fantasia reference and of course the once upon a time book ;-)

I just feel like this should have been bigger/more detailed with a more sophisticated technique for the towers. This way it looks like the trade-off it really is.

Then again normal people probably can't afford anything much more expensive and most people will already struggle to buy this one.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but my guess is you're in a hypercritical minority here.

Are there details about this set that could use improvement? - sure - there are no perfect sets after all. But, in the end, I have to think that viewed in total, the positives, surely outweigh the negatives.

Im not sure why you think it's a trade off though? Every time a new set gets released, we go though the same routine. People want to scrutinize every aspect of the design looking for inaccuracies compared to the source material. I'm fairly confident everyone will look at this model when built and know exactly what it represents.

In my mind, the designers have accomplished their objective. We've got a highly displayable set, that also has some real cool interior play features. It's one of the most iconic structures on the planet. It's exclusive, but not unobtainable either. I can't really ask for much more.

• Like 4

Plus, the target audience for this set is clearly not just AFOLs who want it in a glass case in their dining room. Looks like they wanted a set that can be played with (so Parents will consider it as a set for their kids) which looks fairly accurate, without being tedious/difficult to assemble. I think they did a great job at that ... it looks like the real thing, it shows well, and it has tons of play opportunities inside. Sure there are things that could have been done differently, but you'd move the set out of the ideal intersection of playability, looks and ease-of-construction.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Phil B said:

" it looks like the real thing, it shows well, and it has tons of play opportunities inside. Sure there are things that could have been done differently, but you'd move the set out of the ideal intersection of playability, looks and ease-of-construction."

That's really what I was trying to say @Phil B. Its like the argument of 10188 Death Star play set style vs. 10143 Death Star II UCS style. Both sets have their target audience and intended purpose, but one isn't necessarily better than the other. 

• Like 1

One of the best things about this set is it can appeal to those who want to play or display unlike 10188 and 10143.  The front great to display like 10143 and the rear is like 10188.

22 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

That's really what I was trying to say @Phil B. Its like the argument of  10188 Death Star play set style vs. 10143 Death Star II UCS style. Both sets have their target audience and intended purpose, but one isn't necessarily better than the other. 

56 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Plus, the target audience for this set is clearly not just AFOLs who want it in a glass case in their dining room. Looks like they wanted a set that can be played with (so Parents will consider it as a set for their kids) which looks fairly accurate, without being tedious/difficult to assemble. I think they did a great job at that ... it looks like the real thing, it shows well, and it has tons of play opportunities inside. Sure there are things that could have been done differently, but you'd move the set out of the ideal intersection of playability, looks and ease-of-construction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaisonline said:

One of the best things about this set is it can appeal to those who want to play or display unlike 10188 and 10143.  The front great to display like 10143 and the rear is like 10188.

Excellent point. It's like a mullet, Business up front, party in the rear. :beerhat:

• Like 6

When Frozen was at its Hay day the costume dresses for Elsa, and then Ana were crazy. My wife had a friend who had to have an Elsa dress for her 3 year old daughter. So my wife enlisted me to contact some of my friends that work in Orlando and at Disney to try and locate one of these dresses. I could only located a couple larger dresses. All little kids dresses were sold out everywhere. She ended up paying like $75 over retail on eBay to get it for her little girl to go to a Disney themed birthday party.

Two lessons, 1: People are insane (particularly women concerning their children)
2: Disney could've ramped up the production of these made in China dresses, but they didn't.

Why not? These things take months to plan and initially produce. And no one knows for certain how great something will be. Look at Nexo Knights. Lego wanted a big hit, I'm certain they put a lot of money in to research before their launch, but who knows?

Disney is a lot more calculated. Cautious. They have more hits than any one else, and they have less duds too. They know what they're doing.

It's not that Lego or Disney are not concerned in resellers, but it's such a small part of their plan. A robust reseller market just means high demand for their product, and very little loss for them.

It's wiser to release cautiously and watch to see what happens. Then to flood the market and take a loss (Dimensions anyone?).

I would say they'll take it easy first. Build up demand and then flood the market. That's their MO. Once the initial production is complete, it's easy to build up more, and ensure maximum profit with minimal loss.

My wife and I were shopping in the Disney store in our mall, Less than 2 years after our friend bought her Ana dress. We found one for our daughter on the clearance rack at 85% off. I'm certain that part of the shortage on the dress was due to people who don't even have little girls in their family. They wanted to flip them. Some people got to flip theirs. Many did not (I'm looking at you chewie mask).

Quick flip this set. Sitting on this would be a mistake, unless there's some catastrophe that haults/limits production.

I'm not sure I see the logic that QFin this set will bring a lot of profit.  You're going to have to spend at minimum 350.00 to get this set.  Lets' say there is a shortage, even if it goes up to 500, that's little money after fees to call much of a victory.  Especially when you consider shipping a set like this.  So, I think some of you are way too optimistic. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I'm not sure I see the logic that QFin this set will bring a lot of profit.  You're going to have to spend at minimum 350.00 to get this set.  Lets' say there is a shortage, even if it goes up to 500, that's little money after fees to call much of a victory.  Especially when you consider shipping a set like this.  So, I think some of you are way too optimistic. 

You mean you don't want to hustle to quick flip this beast for a $30 profit?

9 minutes ago, TigerEyez said:

Probably the best way to QF this at Xmas is through CL, NextDoor, and SwipSwap when the inevitable shortage happens. Start about Thanxgv and increase price each week after. 

That's a solid point.  If you can save yourself $70 in eBay/Paypal fees and $20-$25 in shipping cost, you've certainly got a lot more profit potential. Maybe others have had luck, but I've never been able to move a $500 set through one of these platforms though.