71040 - Disney Castle

jaisonline

On July 16, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Deadfraggle said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but my guess is you're in a hypercritical minority here.

Are there details about this set that could use improvement? - sure - there are no perfect sets after all. But, in the end, I have to think that viewed in total, the positives, surely outweigh the negatives.

Im not sure why you think it's a trade off though? Every time a new set gets released, we go though the same routine. People want to scrutinize every aspect of the design looking for inaccuracies compared to the source material. I'm fairly confident everyone will look at this model when built and know exactly what it represents.

In my mind, the designers have accomplished their objective. We've got a highly displayable set, that also has some real cool interior play features. It's one of the most iconic structures on the planet. It's exclusive, but not unobtainable either. I can't really ask for much more.

I happen to live near the happiest place on earth and have seen what people from all over the globe drag out the shops on Mainstreet in Magic Kingdom and a $300 Lego seems to be attainable by the average visitor. Heck a $1000 for this set won't be a problem very soon after it retires

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Brick said:

I happen to live near the happiest place on earth and have seen what people from all over the globe drag out the shops on Mainstreet in Magic Kingdom and a $300 Lego seems to be attainable by the average visitor. Heck a $1000 for this set won't be a problem very soon after it retires

This set will be out longer than any other set in Lego history, so long as Lego keeps a Disney license this set will not retire. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dr. Brick said:

A family of four is going to drop a grand pretty easily for a multi-day visit. I agree with this. The problem (as stated already) will be length of time available. If you're Lego, no reason you can't make this for 10+ years right?

I guess i don't "get" Disney. Happy to be shot down in flames, but...to me this is too expensive. Probably my own ignorance of the subject more than anything "i don't like it, so nobody will"

By the way, my original post a couple of pages back was a start to a new thread that has been moved to this one, so i wasn't just randomly cutting into your discussion and dissing the set

On 7/30/2016 at 8:31 PM, Deadfraggle said:

Out of curiosity, do you scoff at £300 Star Wars or Super Hero sets? I'm willing to wager there are more Disney fans out there than there are Star Wars, DC Comics, or Marvel fans. I think this set is aimed at the 1 bazillion Disney Fans on planet. Count me in for 2....

Quantity of fans isn't the issue. Quantity of fans willing to spend this much is the real issue. A much smaller number. IMHO i think the issue i have with it from a personal perspective is that it's not very "male". You don't get £300 Friends sets, although different because not licenced, i guess

I guess i don't "get" Disney. Happy to be shot down in flames, but...to me this is too expensive. Probably my own ignorance of the subject more than anything "i don't like it, so nobody will"

By the way, my original post a couple of pages back was a start to a new thread that has been moved to this one, so i wasn't just randomly cutting into your discussion and dissing the set

Disney Fans are easily frightened by Star Wars fans but will return in greater numbers.
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, nolanfan34 said:

A family of four is going to drop a grand pretty easily for a multi-day visit. I agree with this. The problem (as stated already) will be length of time available. If you're Lego, no reason you can't make this for 10+ years right?

And no reason they couldn't have made any of the large sets that retired <2 years, for 10+ years

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:27 AM, Deadfraggle said:

15th or the 17th? LEGO Shop at Home calendar is showing the 17th.

Oh ok, 17th looks more realistic then ?!  We don't seem to get any calender's in the UK, well not in my local store anyway or online from what I can see!! I just remember reading in most places that it was the 15th when the pics first became available but appreciate there was lots of speculation at time.  I'll call my local store at lunch and report back ! 

• Like 1

Ok, so I called my local Lego store in the UK and she confirmed that the VIP event is indeed the 17th ! I also asked if they had any of the Disney Minifigs back in stock and her exact words were "I'm afraid they have now been discontinued, they may be releasing a new series but the current one has now been discontinued and therefore we will not be getting any new stock" !! Take that as you wish, I'm merely reporting back what she told me guys but kinda makes sense as these disappeared from SAH UK a few weeks back ! I'll also re-post in the appropriate threads.

Edited by Manse1001
  • Like 1