71040 - Disney Castle

jaisonline

21 minutes ago, BrickStanley74 said:

I just don't get the beige...

Why? The Disney World Cinderella castle is off-white so unless LEGO pre-yellows some white blocks, it's the closest color they have. Disney Anaheim and Disney Paris. Here's the best comparison picture I could find.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ux0jcjQldjo/UOp6QqjFp5I/AAAAAAAAFj4/x9CuHAe0fRE/s1600/Year%2Bof%2Bthe%2BMouse%2B2013.jpg

Nicely done! I am going to need a monthly purchasing plan on rotating exclusives very soon! Oh wait, this set will most likely be out much longer than other exclusives so Lego and Disney can milk this cow. Not to mention, Disney will probably have a boat load to sell in its parks well after its retirement.

Edited by tacsniper

3 hours ago, gregpj said:

Why? The Disney World Cinderella castle is off-white so unless LEGO pre-yellows some white blocks, it's the closest color they have. Disney Anaheim and Disney Paris. Here's the best comparison picture I could find.

I actually think that pink (222) or a light blue (212) would look better than beige. Going off this chart...

latest?cb=20100306082653

From the Death Star thread. 

Pretty easy sequence to predict here people. Both for Cindy and Death Star.

1. Image leaks.

2. "Meh, not impressed, where has Lego's creativity gone?"

3. "Guaranteed investment winner" - Ed Mack

Right on track so far people! I don't get the hate on this one. Would love the experts on here to build an example of what you want the towers to look like? LOL. The box art is spectacular. They knocked it out of the park on this one. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

From the Death Star thread. 

Pretty easy sequence to predict here people. Both for Cindy and Death Star.

1. Image leaks.

2. "Meh, not impressed, where has Lego's creativity gone?"

3. "Guaranteed investment winner" - Ed Mack

Right on track so far people! I don't get the hate on this one. Would love the experts on here to build an example of what you want the towers to look like? LOL. The box art is spectacular. They knocked it out of the park on this one. 

Color issues aside (I would have done a different color scheme, but it is still okay), there are lots of ways to make better looking towers. This is Lego after all. Here are two examples:

1257105220m_SPLASH.jpg22522065890_a65c242517_o.jpg

And if that would be too many pieces then try this since it looks like the towers are about eight to ten studs across.

47974.jpg

And you can adjust the width of a tower using these pieces if it is ten studs across:

• 48092.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JosephMali said:

Color issues aside (I would have done a different color scheme, but it is still okay), there are lots of ways to make better looking towers. This is Lego after all. Here are two examples:

And that method would blow up the piece count by like 2000 for the whole set. This is obviously a stylised model which should not be compared with the landmark series. Many other things are off, but it serves its purpose. Looks great and plays great, I regard it as well designed with the right compromises made. 

6 minutes ago, inversion said:

And that method would blow up the piece count by like 2000 for the whole set. This is obviously a stylised model which should not be compared with the landmark series. Many other things are off, but it serves its purpose. Looks great and plays great, I regard it as well designed with the right compromises made. 

Using this piece it would take about 90 pieces to build three half towers of this size. That is slightly less than your projections.

48092.jpg

I am glad you like it and many others here, but I think the towers are very poorly done. Like I said in an earlier post, many of the details inside the castle look great and I don't have issues with the way the rest of the castle has been constructed, but the three front towers are easy to make look a lot better without adding much to the piece count.

I'm a bit disappointed in the number of large pieces used for the towers, as well, but looking back on the previous Disney releases they do seem to be the norm. Both Ariel's Undersea Palace and Cinderella's Romantic Castle use larger pieces in place of more advanced building techniques. I can see why they would do so for the sets geared toward younger ages, so I'm curious as to why they've also done it on a set rated 16+. Maybe they wanted to shy away from repetitive wall-building that could be boring to younger kids who want to help their parents build? 

A couple of things...

The tan is as close as they can get to the light beige/tan color of the real castle, so I have no issue with it.  The towers are fine and the long slopes give them a meatier appearance.  Even though there were other ways to improve them, it is not a major focal point or negative IMO.  Minifigures are OK.  They could have been exclusive to this set.  Cinderella would have been a nice addition.  

Otherwise...

The Ultimate Disney Dollhouse.  Great looking box.  Great looking set.  One of LEGO's all time best IMO.  Will be a must have this XMAS.  Great flipper potential.  Long term potential will be dependent on whether this set remains in Disney retail stores long after it disappearing from traditional sources.  If it retires normally, a big time winner, regardless of hoarding.

• Like 4