71040 - Disney Castle

jaisonline

1 minute ago, fossilrock said:

I think they will retire, and they'll move on to series 2 next year.  Doesn't mean Walt Disney World might not have an order for 100,000 cases coming to them on september which could happen, but I think this series is retired by years end...  If that doesn't happen then the minifigure line has taken on a whole new dimension, and it could single the death of the line to collectors, if they were to do that.  I know if I can get them at anytime in the near future, there would be little incentive for completist minifigure fanatics to rush out and complete a set when you first see them.

I think this series 1 is more than likely the beginning of what will be a yearly occurrence for a long time.  

This is uncharted territory with both the Disney minifigures and Cinderella's Castle IMO.  They probably both will retire sooner than later and all will be right in the LEGO reselling world, but what if LEGO and Disney works a deal to keep these exclusive for Disney stores?  Both are extremely collectible and popular, making them excellent souvenirs.  They could disappear from regular retail outlets, yet still be available in Disney stores.  To me, it's something to consider.

13 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I think they will retire, and they'll move on to series 2 next year.  Doesn't mean Walt Disney World might not have an order for 100,000 cases coming to them on september which could happen, but I think this series is retired by years end...  If that doesn't happen then the minifigure line has taken on a whole new dimension, and it could single the death of the line to collectors, if they were to do that.  I know if I can get them at anytime in the near future, there would be little incentive for completist minifigure fanatics to rush out and complete a set when you first see them.

I think this series 1 is more than likely the beginning of what will be a yearly occurrence for a long time.  

I agree. And it explains the choice to include the mice and the ducks in the castle. Those ones are the most iconic and they may want to make them available permanently, because they may not want to issue a new variant for them in each series. 

However, they probably recognised that the trove of characters Disney has is a gold mine waiting to be exploited. Sticking to a single series is just plainly stupid. Especially considering that the castle is waiting to be filled up with princess minifigs we don't have yet.

Edited by inversion

17 minutes ago, inversion said:

If you really think about it, non- SW sets both were increasing in price and piece count overall compared to previous years. So when the DS was $400 everything else was much cheaper. If we extrapolate this info then SW could also increase accordingly in price and size, so I don't think a $400+ Death Star can be ruled out. After all, if a Ghostbusters set can cost $350, then what is the ceiling for the flagship SW ?

The new Death Star will probably be a $400.00 set, but I hope it's less.  Heck, the 10179 started at $499.99, but it sold poorly at that price.  LEGO might not want to do that again.

4 hours ago, Will 4 said:

Anybody else see the hidden comment up top?

Yeah, sorry about that.  Looks like the post was both hidden and stickied by the mods.  I guess if you sticky it, it overrides the hiding.  It may have been me that fat fingered a sticky (instead of hiding) since @jaisonline hid it.

Ooops!  It should be hidden now.

8 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

The new Death Star will probably be a $400.00 set, but I hope it's less.  Heck, the 10179 started at $499.99, but it sold poorly at that price.  LEGO might not want to do that again.

10179 is different. It might have sold poorly even at $400. It is a collector's model, 0 play functions, only few and not really exclusive figs. DS is a play set with truckload of figs and play functions.

I think on this site we might be overestimating the retail demand for sets like 10179. They can be more collectable, but the issue might be that mostly hardcore collectors are interested in it who are in minority.

DS like sets on the other hand are catering for a much broader audience, where rich parents should be a key part. Would I buy a MF for my (future) 8 year old kid for Christmas? No. DS for $4-500? Yes.

Therefore I don't think the two sets and their pricing are really comparable.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Now are different times. Investors will soak-up the new DS. Just like any other new exclusive nowadays. Well... maybe except the Hoth Echo Base.

14 minutes ago, inversion said:

10179 is different. It might have sold poorly even at $400. It is a collector's model, 0 play functions, only few and not really exclusive figs. DS is a play set with truckload of figs and play functions.

I think on this site we might be overestimating the retail demand for sets like 10179. They can be more collectable, but the issue might be that mostly hardcore collectors are interested in it who are in minority.

DS like sets on the other hand are catering for a much broader audience, where rich parents should be a key part. Would I buy a MF for my (future) 8 year old kid for Christmas? No. DS for $4-500? Yes.

Therefore I don't think the two sets and their pricing are really comparable.

I think the economy and marketplace has changed.  While there always might be an outlier like a $400-$500 STAR WARS set, I am beginning to question the continued explosive growth of The LEGO Group's profits.  We will see this year when they release their financials, but I have seen interviews with LEGO bigwigs and they are nervous about Brexit and are putting a lot of faith in the Asian markets.  There are also other subtle changes occurring.  Discounts on exclusives?  They are starting to pop up.  Bans?  Have you seen any recently? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I think the economy and marketplace has changed.  While there always might be an outlier like a $400-$500 STAR WARS set, I am beginning to question the continued explosive growth of The LEGO Group's profits.  We will see this year when they release their financials, but I have seen interviews with LEGO bigwigs and they are nervous about Brexit and are putting a lot of faith in the Asian markets.  There are also other subtle changes occurring.  Discounts on exclusives?  They are starting to pop up.  Bans?  Have you seen any recently? 

It is reasonable to believe that they might not be able to sustain the growth forever. Growing is nice for sure, but if you already captured a large majority of your prospective buyers then you either have to explore new markets or be content with your market share and sustain your sales. Also personally I attribute the policy changes to their recent capacity expansions. 

And Brexit... it hurts Britain, hurts Europe, but my worry is the elephant in the room called Southern European financial markets. If that ticking bomb finally goes off Brexit will be the least of Europe's problems.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

This is uncharted territory with both the Disney minifigures and Cinderella's Castle IMO.  They probably both will retire sooner than later and all will be right in the LEGO reselling world, but what if LEGO and Disney works a deal to keep these exclusive for Disney stores?  Both are extremely collectible and popular, making them excellent souvenirs.  They could disappear from regular retail outlets, yet still be available in Disney stores.  To me, it's something to consider.

There's a whole bunch they can do with this line.  They could in theory make more UCS type playsets or structures based off disney characters.  While I would suspect this set to be out for 5 to 6 years easily, it will eventually retire, as well.  But, I think this, along with the Disney minifigures series are the first in a long long line of these things.  They'll tap this market to death, just like they did and are doing with Star Wars, and Marvel.  

Personally, i'm not so sold on the disney minifigures being as big of an investment as people are chirping on here.  Maybe initially, but over time it wont be, after the 50th mickey mouse is released in a set, or the 20th alice in wonderland playset is released with yet another alice.  Just watch.  Those sets are coming, and it's obvious.

Now if they will just release a star wars minifigures series so we can finally add Zuckuss, and 4Lom to the collection, i'd be a happy cat.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 2

There's a whole bunch they can do with this line.  They could in theory make more UCS type playsets or structures based off disney characters.  While I would suspect this set to be out for 5 to 6 years easily, it will eventually retire, as well.  But, I think this, along with the Disney minifigures series are the first in a long long line of these things.  They'll tap this market to death, just like they did and are doing with Star Wars, and Marvel.  

Personally, i'm not so sold on the disney minifigures being as big of an investment as people are chirping on here.  Maybe initially, but over time it wont be, after the 50th mickey mouse is released in a set, or the 20th alice in wonderland playset is released with yet another alice.  Just watch.  Those sets are coming, and it's obvious.

Now if they will just release a star wars minifigures series so we can finally add Zuckuss, and 4Lom to the collection, i'd be a happy cat.

Of course they will. I thought that was clear when they announced Disney...

The front of the castle looks great... but where's the back?  Maybe the HH spoiled me, but I expected a building on all sides.  This is more like AA and TOO than it is Modulars and GFH.  Should have immersed one into the Magic Kingdom, but instead evokes a Potemkin Village.  DS remake likely to be a dome.

5 minutes ago, snot said:

The front of the castle looks great... but where's the back?  Maybe the HH spoiled me, but I expected a building on all sides.  This is more like AA and TOO than it is Modulars and GFH.  Should have immersed one into the Magic Kingdom, but instead evokes a Potemkin Village.  DS remake likely to be a dome.

Just returned from my Lego store and an employee told me the leaked pics may not be entirely accurate. He said the set should have just over 4200 pieces and have a back that closes. He believed the $350 price was accurate.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, snot said:

I've not seen a back on any LEGO buildings apart from the modulars and those similar. That even annoyed me as a kid, nothing has changed.