71040 - Disney Castle

jaisonline

22 hours ago, citymorgue said:

I'm a little shocked to see that the pricing rumor wasn't right.  As long as I can remember, most sets that have been leaked, have been correct on pricing.  It's a nice surprise at $350, but still a bit odd.

Yep Brickset had it listed at $399.99 for the longest time. I am wondering if they axed some minfigs from the original design and decided to bring back the Disney CMF line instead. They are doing another large run of those September and it would not surprise me if they keep them going for a long time. That is alot of rooms to fill with minifigs that don't come with the set, and the minidolls are not going to work. Personally I would have preferred the $400 price point with alot more minifigs but it will sell alot more copies at $350. Then you have the obligatory trip to your local LBR to go smooshing for your figs to fill it out. Sounds like a solid plan.

@inversion said: From that $50 they could have added the remaining towers so we could have the classic Disney Castle silhouette. I would not mind paying that much extra.

Agreed. It is 4080 pieces for $350 so 5000 pieces for $400 would have been nice to have the remaining towers and still stay at the same PPP, but like @Ed Mack said they must know their price point. I am sure they designed the complete set and we will have some nice MOCs.  

Edited by Pseudoty

2 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Agreed. It is 4080 pieces for $350 so 5000 pieces for $400 would have been nice to have the remaining towers and still stay at the same PPP, but like @Ed Mack said they must know their price point. I am sure they designed the complete set and we will have some nice MOCs.  

So if $350.00 seems to be the new max MSRP or "sweet spot" for large sets.  Does that mean the new Death Star be priced accordingly?  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, asharerin said:

Yep Brickset had it listed at $399.99 for the longest time. I am wondering if they axed some minfigs from the original design and decided to bring back the Disney CMF line instead. They are doing another large run of those September and it would not surprise me if they keep them going for a long time. That is alot of rooms to fill with minifigs that don't come with the set, and the minidolls are not going to work. Personally I would have preferred the $400 price point with alot more minifigs but it will sell alot more copies at $350. Then you have the obligatory trip to your local LBR to go smooshing for your figs to fill it out. Sounds like a solid plan.

Shops in uk are reporting series 16 minifigures in September, are you saying disney minifigures run is being extended?

20160625_185952.jpg.9a782765b36292db82c036b4ec6bf7d5.jpg

37 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I don't see how it could possibly be "bigger and better" then, as reported...

Oh well, I guess if they lose a bunch of minifigs. That might do it. Sigh...

Who really knows, but the trend is more, but smaller pieces...basically giving the impression of larger and more valuable sets.  The new Death Star could end up being 4000 pieces at $349.99 and still be smaller than the 10188.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Who really knows, but the trend is more, but smaller pieces...basically giving the impression of larger and more valuable sets.  The new Death Star could end up being 4000 pieces at $349.99 and still be smaller than the 10188.  

Do you think a remake would be technic or brick based?

Looks okay, but I am not a fan of the construction of the towers on the front wall. There are several ways to make rounder looking towers but it would probably take a few more pieces. The rest of the castle looks good and the inside looks like it is full of great details.

Guest TabbyBoy
40 minutes ago, JosephMali said:

Looks okay, but I am not a fan of the construction of the towers on the front wall. There are several ways to make rounder looking towers but it would probably take a few more pieces. The rest of the castle looks good and the inside looks like it is full of great details.

Nor me, the towers look dreadful and is one corner cut too many IMHO. I'm sure this will be MOC'd to improve the looks of the towers which spoil the entire set for me and I'm quite disappointed - sorry. However, rich parents will pay through the nose in the run up to Xmas as LEGO are bound to run out. I'm going to be a QFLL for the very first time! 

I've still not had a reply from any of you regarding something that really bugs me...

WHY OH WHY OH WHY... Do you lot judge a set's value by $/€/£ per piece rather than total weight of plastic? Per piece is VERY misleading IMHO.

10 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Nor me, the towers look dreadful and is one corner cut too many IMHO. I'm sure this will be MOC'd to improve the looks of the towers which spoil the entire set for me and I'm quite disappointed - sorry. However, rich parents will pay through the nose in the run up to Xmas as LEGO are bound to run out. I'm going to be a QFLL for the very first time! 

I've still not had a reply from any of you regarding something that really bugs me...

WHY OH WHY OH WHY... Do you lot judge a set's value by $/€/£ per piece rather than total weight of plastic? Per piece is VERY misleading IMHO.

Right...Weight of the set is one of the most important factors I consider.

I suspect they will routinely do what they usually do with minifigures -  release a huge batch to retailers right before they move onto the next line.  That's how it usually works, and I expect the same for the disney minifigs.  SO, that is nothing out of the ordinary.  The only thing out of the ordinary was the first round of disney figures sold out rather quickly compared to let's say simpsons2, s12, 13, 15, etc.

Regardless, a complete set of Disney Minifigs has pretty much had the bottom drop out to where you will make 0 in profit if you didn't buy below RRP.  I also will suspect Lego will make enough of cindy's castle to where it's around by christmas.  Doubt very much Lego is going to go light on either.

2 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I suspect they will routinely do what they usually do with minifigures -  release a huge batch to retailers right before they move onto the next line.  That's how it usually works, and I expect the same for the disney minifigs.  SO, that is nothing out of the ordinary.  The only thing out of the ordinary was the first round of disney figures sold out rather quickly compared to let's say simpsons2, s12, 13, 15, etc.

Regardless, a complete set of Disney Minifigs has pretty much had the bottom drop out to where you will make 0 in profit if you didn't buy below RRP.  I also will suspect Lego will make enough of cindy's castle to where it's around by christmas.  Doubt very much Lego is going to go light on either.

Disney minifigures might be around for the long haul as well.  Disney can easily mark those suckers up in their stores throughout their parks. 

26 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Agree on the QFLL opportunity. Probably will be limit 1 per household from LEGO Shop at Home in the USA. So may be similar to tumbler release. 

As I always say look at PPG not PPP, but since all we have is a piece count so far of 4080 it is not possible to calculate the PPG. There are some larger elements used so it will be nice to see a comparison between this, Big Ben and GBHQ. 

Edited by Pseudoty

3 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

So if $350.00 seems to be the new max MSRP or "sweet spot" for large sets.  Does that mean the new Death Star be priced accordingly?  

If you really think about it, non-SW sets both were increasing in price and piece count overall compared to previous years. So when the DS was $400 everything else was much cheaper. If we extrapolate this info then SW could also increase accordingly in price and size, so I don't think a $400+ Death Star can be ruled out. After all, if a Ghostbusters set can cost $350, then what is the ceiling for the flagship SW?

Edited by inversion

4 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Disney minifigures might be around for the long haul as well.  Disney can easily mark those suckers up in their stores throughout their parks. 

I think they will retire, and they'll move on to series 2 next year.  Doesn't mean Walt Disney World might not have an order for 100,000 cases coming to them on september which could happen, but I think this series is retired by years end...  If that doesn't happen then the minifigure line has taken on a whole new dimension, and it could single the death of the line to collectors, if they were to do that.  I know if I can get them at anytime in the near future, there would be little incentive for completist minifigure fanatics to rush out and complete a set when you first see them.

I think this series 1 is more than likely the beginning of what will be a yearly occurrence for a long time.