71040 - Disney Castle

jaisonline

25 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

That's a solid point.  If you can save yourself $70 in eBay/Paypal fees and $20-$25 in shipping cost, you've certainly got a lot more profit potential. Maybe others have had luck, but I've never been able to move a $500 set through one of these platforms though.

Our version of CL is full of lowballers and dreamers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadfraggle said:

You mean you don't want to hustle to quick flip this beast for a $30 profit?

No, don't think it would be worth the energy spent when you compare a dollar to dollar ratio against other hot toys.  It's easier to make 30.00 on other sets or other products that wouldn't take up the space, or cost as much money.  I'm sure there will be some toy out there that cost 60 or 70.00 that will be scarce and in demand and will net you 30 after fees.  You could buy 4 to 5 of those, flip them and make 150 for ever 350 spent.   That's better than 30 on every 350 spent.  

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

No, don't think it would be worth the energy spent when you compare a dollar to dollar ratio against other hot toys.  It's easier to make 30.00 on other sets or other products that wouldn't take up the space, or cost as much money.  I'm sure there will be some toy out there that cost 60 or 70.00 that will be scarce and in demand and will net you 30 after fees.  You could buy 4 to 5 of those, flip them and make 150 for ever 350 spent.   That's better than 30 on every 350 spent.  

Just my opinion.

I think the key is to stand at the entrance of the park and part it out on the spot.

"You can now own a piece of the castle!"
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I'm not sure I see the logic that QFin this set will bring a lot of profit.  You're going to have to spend at minimum 350.00 to get this set.  Lets' say there is a shortage, even if it goes up to 500, that's little money after fees to call much of a victory.  Especially when you consider shipping a set like this.  So, I think some of you are way too optimistic. 

I agree that $500 doesn't net you much profit, but I do not think that $500 is unreasonable. Considering
 availability and target market. If it's only available at Disney Land/World, or a Lego store, but advertised well so that people know it exists, then there will be a great demand. The CMF line is proof of demand, I believe.

But not everyone has access to those outlets. I live in Florida, and the closest Lego Store is in Orlando in Disney Springs (VIP points, freebie and 10% Season Card holder discount would whittle down that $350 price tag some), 2 1/2 hours away. Imagine a scenario where Christmas comes and LEGO Shop at Home is sold out. Not hard to imagine. You can only get one in a Lego Store or at a Park. $500 piece a cake. Why? Target market. People who can pay $350 for a Lego set, can pay $500. A park ticket for one plus the set would easily hit $500. If you don't already have plans to go to the Park to get one of these, $500 is a deal. 

• Like 1

number crunching...
So if I could buy one at $315 at Disney Springs (VIP points almost cancels out the sales tax, for each additional purchase) and sell for $450 on BrickClassified, when it's running for $500 in eBay. Even if I paid for shipping, I think I can make more than $30. And get the Lego store Freebie, Santa Bionicle maybe?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, donbee said:

number crunching...
So if I could buy one at $315 at Disney Springs (VIP points almost cancels out the sales tax, for each additional purchase) and sell for $450 on BrickClassified, when it's running for $500 in eBay. Even if I paid for shipping, I think I can make more than $30. And get the Lego store Freebie, Santa Bionicle maybe?

Under those terms, it probably makes sense to do. Once again, we're always back to that buy in thing. For instance I could say I only have access to buy at LEGO Shop at Home or one of the Atlanta stores. I'm a simple guy and consider my buy in price RRP +8% tax, so let's call it $378. I suppose I could subtract the VIP points or the value of some promo I might earn with purchase, but I don't. Those techniques are fine, but I have a different strategy is all. Brickclassifieds is awesome, but we cant all quick flip through through there. If I sell on Amazon or Ebay, then I could be out another $80 to $90 in fees and shipping.

I think everyone should pick up a couple just in case. I'm not convinced going real deep is a smart play at a $350 buy-in. Afterall, LEGO may meet production demand for this set at Christmas. Take the technic Porsche set for example, despite all the initial hype, and my online order back-date, I've seen stacks of these things at 4 LEGO stores in 3 states.

*Full disclosure here, I'm deploying this fall for a year, so I wont be selling any sets in the short or mid term timeline.

1 hour ago, Deadfraggle said:

Under those terms, it probably makes sense to do. Once again, we're always back to that buy in thing. For instance I could say I only have access to buy at LEGO Shop at Home or one of the Atlanta stores. I'm a simple guy and consider my buy in price RRP +8% tax, so let's call it $378. I suppose I could subtract the VIP points or the value of some promo I might earn with purchase, but I don't. Those techniques are fine, but I have a different strategy is all. Brickclassifieds is awesome, but we cant all quick flip through through there. If I sell on Amazon or Ebay, then I could be out another $80 to $90 in fees and shipping.

My point was simply that there are other places other than eBay to sell.
Because originally I said this should be a quick flip set, not a long hold. If it's a long hold set, then standard rules apply. You wait until near the end of EOL or if you find it at deep discount. But my argument was that if you are one of the fortunate few to get one of these early, flip it quick. In fact, why would anyone want to buy it immediately if they weren't going to quick flip it. If everyone is convinced that this is not a limited run, and there will be wide access to it. There is no brickinvesting reason why you should buy this at first release, except a good deal like double VIP or more. 

Your response was QFing made no sense and immediately quoted numbers from eBay. I will grant that I used eBay in my example of the Ana dress. So I will clarify now: when I say flip it quickly, I mean, flip it for your maximum profit at minimum hold time. Not simply minimum hold time, and certainly not only on eBay. I only sell 10% of my Lego on eBay. I may be wrong, but I do not assume QFers want to move product immediately and are willing to take a loss in profit in order to move something fast.  I consider QFing as pretty much anything sold before Retirement. And I think that is fairly accurate in the forum of a website dedicated to "investing". Investing implies, though is not contingent upon, a certain length of time.

So if I buy a Disney Castle with the intention of long term investment, but then 12+ months down the road realize that my money would've been better off if I applied it to some where else because it does not look like it will retire any time soon, I will "quickly flip" it to try to maximum my profit in a minimum amount of time.  The term is still accurate, despite my original intention and despite if I make a profit or not. But if I sold it for a loss after retirement. Then I would say I made a bad investment because I sold it at a loss. But that would be semantics. Quick is a relative term. And since we keep using it in the discussion. I thought I'd try to set some sort of standard for the term QF.

Edited by donbee
  • Like 1

My point was simply that there are other places other than eBay to sell.

Because originally I said this should be a quick flip set, not a long hold. If it's a long hold set, then standard rules apply. You wait until near the end of EOL or if you find it at deep discount. But my argument was that if you are one of the fortunate few to get one of these early, flip it quick. In fact, why would anyone want to buy it immediately if they weren't going to quick flip it. If everyone is convinced that this is not a limited run, and there will be wide access to it. There is no brickinvesting reason why you should buy this at first release, except a good deal like double VIP or more. 

Your response was QFing made no sense and immediately quoted numbers from eBay. I will grant that I used eBay in my example of the Ana dress. So I will clarify now: when I say flip it quickly, I mean, flip it for your maximum profit at minimum hold time. Not simply minimum hold time, and certainly not only on eBay. I only sell 10% of my Lego on eBay. I may be wrong, but I do not assume QFers want to move product immediately and are willing to take a loss in profit in order to move something fast.  I consider QFing as pretty much anything sold before Retirement. And I think that is fairly accurate in the forum of a website dedicated to "investing". Investing implies, though is not contingent upon, a certain length of time.

So if I buy a Disney Castle with the intention of long term investment, but then 12+ months down the road realize that my money would've been better off if I applied it to some where else because it does not look like it will retire any time soon, I will "quickly flip" it to try to maximum my profit in a minimum amount of time.  The term is still accurate, despite my original intention and despite if I make a profit or not. But if I sold it for a loss after retirement. Then I would say I made a bad investment because I sold it at a loss. But that would be semantics. Quick is a relative term. And since we keep using it in the discussion. I thought I'd try to set some sort of standard for the term QF.

QF around here has generally meant buying a product with the intention to sell in the short term... Minutes, days, weeks.

Those who take pictures and post it to eBay before even getting in their car are more often referred to as QFLLs (sometimes we will cut them some slack, but it has to be posted that evening).

What you are talking about by dumping items that haven't seen a hoped-for shortage (to offer the QF opportunity) or missed a predicted retirement is entirely different.

Quickly Flip once you've made a decision to sell is not the same as the Quick Flip.

• Like 2

QF around here has generally meant buying a product with the intention to sell in the short term... Minutes, days, weeks.

Those who take pictures and post it to eBay before even getting in their car are more often referred to as QFLLs (sometimes we will cut them some slack, but it has to be posted that evening).

What you are talking about by dumping items that haven't seen a hoped-for shortage (to offer the QF opportunity) or missed a predicted retirement is entirely different.

Quickly Flip once you've made a decision to sell is not the same as the Quick Flip.

I see. Though I certainly acknowledge that, and have posted stuff while waiting in the check out line, I think it is not fair to assume that a quick flipper will sell something at any price as long as it is for more than they paid for.

Granted there are QF newbs. I've been there. Offered free shipping on a Heartlake shopping mall on eBay. Fail. But the QF veteran should be able to do quite well with this set.

And by quickly flipping, I mean selling it for maximum profit in shortest amount of time. Which would be before the second line of production comes out.

What does QFLL mean?
Quick flipping low life?

I see. Though I certainly acknowledge that, and have posted stuff while waiting in the check out line, I think it is not fair to assume that a quick flipper will sell something at any price as long as it is for more than they paid for.

Granted there are QF newbs. I've been there. Offered free shipping on a Heartlake shopping mall on eBay. Fail. But the QF veteran should be able to do quite well with this set.

And by quickly flipping, I mean selling it for maximum profit in shortest amount of time. Which would be before the second line of production comes out.

What does QFLL mean?
Quick flipping low life?

Yes, and they might even sell for less than what they paid.

For the Porsches I was flipping them for about a $60 profit each.  When you throw the free fountain on top of that I was making about $75 per transaction. My Lego store allowed me to make two separate transactions so I was able to get 2 fountains every trip.  For less than an hours worth of work I made $150. Plus the points  start stacking up when you use a credit card.  On release date I'll be listing mine for $550 - $600.   If this ends up being anything like the Porsche it will be sold out online within a couple hours. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Seal Cutter said:

Just spotted this on SAH while looking for something else

Who is going to spend nearly £300 on this??!!

Seriously, who is this aimed at? Thoughts?

Out of curiosity, do you scoff at £300 Star Wars or Super Hero sets? I'm willing to wager there are more Disney fans out there than there are Star Wars, DC Comics, or Marvel fans. I think this set is aimed at the 1 bazillion Disney Fans on planet. Count me in for 2....

• Like 2

Who is this aimed at, are you kidding!?! Have you heard of a little place called Disney Land, and the millions of people it let's through their gates every year!!!! Personally I think this will be the next 10188, an iconic Lego model! Investment wise, forget it after the initial flip window and potentially Xmas depending on stock levels as this will be around for years, but for me this is a day one purchase, I'm personally really excited and can't wait to build this set!

19 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

Who is this aimed at, are you kidding!?! Have you heard of a little place called Disney Land, and the millions of people it let's through their gates every year!!!! Personally I think this will be the next 10188, an iconic Lego model! Investment wise, forget it after the initial flip window and potentially Xmas depending on stock levels as this will be around for years, but for me this is a day one purchase, I'm personally really excited and can't wait to build this set!

Well actually, this is the Disney World castle to be fair. That's Disney Land on the left.

castles.jpg

Edited by Stud-Flipper

I'm not going to get into technicalities regards the name on a Saturday night guys, I'm pretty sure we all know what it is and who the target market is. The question in hand was 'who is this aimed at' the answer 'is the billions of Disney and Lego fans on the planet'!!

• Like 1

Disney fans tend to be hard core. This will sell well. I'll be buying one for my personal collection. I have to. I dated Cinderella. HAHA. Seriously though. I really dated Cinderella in college. I worked at WDW while in college as a toy solider in the Electric Light Parade. Dated Cinderella for a year and a half. My wife hates this story.

But the set is beautiful and will sell great even at the high price point in my opinion. If you can afford to take a family of 4 on a Disney vacation for 3-4 days you can afford this set. It's a single day's admission for a small family for one day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gonkalin said:

Disney fans tend to be hard core. This will sell well. I'll be buying one for my personal collection. I have to. I dated Cinderella. HAHA. Seriously though. I really dated Cinderella in college. I worked at WDW while in college as a toy solider in the Electric Light Parade. Dated Cinderella for a year and a half. My wife hates this story.

But the set is beautiful and will sell great even at the high price point in my opinion. If you can afford to take a family of 4 on a Disney vacation for 3-4 days you can afford this set. It's a single day's admission for a small family for one day.

And you're not even mentioning the scores of people who pay the cost of a small car to lock themselves up on a Disney Cruise ship for a week once a year with nothing but cartoon characters around them ..... (PS: I have a number of friends and acquaintances who do this and I'm totally fine with it - just not my way of spending a fun vacation ....).

Interesting notes on this set is it is not classified as an exclusive.   Good news is you'll be able to get 10-30% off depending on amount of damage vs the 1000 points.  So a 20-30 would gain you more than the points and be instant.  A minor damage 10% would gain you less.   Bad news is it can be sold absolutely everywhere so there may be a ton.  I know the website says exclusives but it is not on the new list and all the new sets all the way to adventures sets holiday train and ds are on there.  They could change it but as of now it is not.  Would be a new change for a set of that caliber to start out that way.  Similar to them taking off sets like old ecto, Temple of arijitzu and winter toy shop a few months ago where they are no longer counted as exclusives.

• Like 1

On July 15, 2016 at 7:41 AM, tractorboy said:

Yeah, I don't see myself ever making any money on this set. It'll be around for many years. I think an xmas shortage is unlikely as we're so far out, and Lego should be able to gauge demand and adjust production in time, I would think. Unless the demand outweighs their production capacity for the required parts or something.

Lego should but Lego won't

• Like 2