42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS

TheOrcKing

28 minutes ago, Raveie said:

I hoped that it is possible to get one on release day :-)

Wait and see what happens. There are going to be some pretty critical reviews of its technical flaws coming out on Wednesday. It might make sense to hold off and see how TLG react.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Wait and see what happens. There are going to be some pretty critical reviews of its technical flaws coming out on Wednesday. It might make sense to hold off and see how TLG react.

The hype train is going way too fast, Anio's review will not even dent the popularity of the set, and I'm pretty sure he's the only one who will post a mostly negative review. I'm also convinced that most people will buy this set and put it on a shelf, they won't care it doesn't roll properly in lower gears. The way the set is marketed makes me think Lego wants to sell this to people who lost interest in Lego/Lego Technic and hook them up again, especially in the US where the Technic line is not faring as well as in mainland Europe. 

Edited by Pomodoro

12 hours ago, Val-E said:

Thanks for the advice :-)

This new Lego Porsche GT3, 42056, you think it will make a good investment, because I think the market is going to be flooded with them soon; and it doesn't look like that Lego is limiting the amount of sets you want to buy.

But then again, having the sets individual numbered, doesn't look like they will make an unlimited number of them either ?...

I'm hoping to get at least two of these when they hit the market in two days from now, here in the US.  Porsches are a big deal here in south California, and all over the world I think...

I wouldn expect Lego to limit the amount of units an individual can buy . The set will initially be available online only before hitting the stores in August . If it sells out quick , there is a window to flip it but I would expect investors to fill their mama's basement with this thing ( provided the release is not limited ), so it will be a long hold . 

16 minutes ago, Wimmer said:

This new Lego Porsche GT3, 42056, you think it will make a good investment, because I think the market is going to be flooded with them soon; and it doesn't look like that Lego is limiting the amount of sets you want to buy.

But then again, having the sets individual numbered, doesn't look like they will make an unlimited number of them either ?...

I'm hoping to get at least two of these when they hit the market in two days from now, here in the US.  Porsches are a big deal here in south California, and all over the world I think...

•  

The number is a random code so there is no limit. For me, this was a set to flip on pre order to ebay fruitcakes or wait for a healthy discount later on in life.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pomodoro said:

The hype train is going way too fast, Anio's review will not even dent the popularity of the set, and I'm pretty sure he's the only one who will post a mostly negative review. I'm also convinced that most people will buy this set and put it on a shelf, they won't care it doesn't roll properly in lower gears. The way the set is marketed makes me think Lego wants to sell this to people who lost interest in Lego/Lego Technic and hook them up again, especially in the US where the Technic line is not faring as well as in mainland Europe. 

I'm not trying to be mean here; but I'm a Dutchman living in California for the last 20 years now, and the amount of Technic sets getting sold at my local Lego store is astonishing to me.  I myself bought three 42009 when they came out the first day, and there were at least another 5 or 6 'dads' doing exactly the same thing.

I don't know where the statement comes from that Technic doesn't do well here, but I think it might depend on where in the US you are.  Most of these sets are expensive, and not everyone here can afford an extra $200.00 or more a month to buy a toy.  I'm fortunate enough that I can, but a lot of people here need all the money they can find for just basic living...

But I do think that Technic is more popular in Europe than it is here, just like Formula 1 racing is,... Which I love since I was 8 years old...

59 minutes ago, Wimmer said:

I'm not trying to be mean here; but I'm a Dutchman living in California for the last 20 years now, and the amount of Technic sets getting sold at my local Lego store is astonishing to me.  I myself bought three 42009 when they came out the first day, and there were at least another 5 or 6 'dads' doing exactly the same thing.

I don't know where the statement comes from that Technic doesn't do well here, but I think it might depend on where in the US you are.  Most of these sets are expensive, and not everyone here can afford an extra $200.00 or more a month to buy a toy.  I'm fortunate enough that I can, but a lot of people here need all the money they can find for just basic living...

But I do think that Technic is more popular in Europe than it is here, just like Formula 1 racing is,... Which I love since I was 8 years old...

I didn't say it wasn't popular at all, I'm just saying it's way more popular in Europe, TLG might want to up their game in the US. 

Just a few observations to back up what I'm saying:

In all online communities you'll see a prevalence of Europeans in the Technic-dedidated sections, there are very few (if any?) American designers in the Technic team, you see more Technic stuff in European conventions, the top Technic MOCers are mostly European, etc. 

I'm not saying Europe is a uniform market, there are variations between countries of course, but it's a well-known fact that the Technic market is weaker in the US than in Europe. Just look at this section of the forums*, it's among the least updated ones. Some first-page threads have not received any replies since 2014. If not for the Porsche, this section would barely have gotten any attention at all in the last 6 months.

*I don't have stats, but Brickpicker users seem to be mostly North-American.

Edited by Pomodoro

1 minute ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

The trend for a while now has been little to no discounts on exclusives......why would this set be any different?

I haven´t paid full RRP for an exclusive since I started out in this (except for the FB/TH find of Jan 2015) and I don´t intend to start now!

There are always shops that will include "exclusive" sets in general Lego promos, in Europe at least.

14 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

The trend for a while now has been little to no discounts on exclusives......why would this set be any different?

We've seen at least 20% off all the large Technic sets from retailers other than LEGO... if this set stays exclusive to LEGO, it likely won't see a discount but if they let TRU and Amazon sell it, it will likely be discounted.

We've seen at least 20% off all the large Technic sets from retailers other than LEGO... if this set stays exclusive to LEGO, it likely won't see a discount but if they let TRU and Amazon sell it, it will likely be discounted.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some at toysrus.com. I know I bought several 41999 at 20% off during one of the TRU.com FUBAR events.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see some at toysrus.com. I know I bought several 41999 at 20% off during one of the TRU.com FUBAR events.

Your friendly local Porsche showroom should no doubt be able to hook you up with one next time you take the runabout in for a service too!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Me neither... I suspect TRU will carry them a few months after the official release date. The question is whether they'll discount them. TRU in Canada has been stingy with the sales on Technic sets lately...

4 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Your friendly local Porsche showroom should no doubt be able to hook you up with one next time you take the runabout in for a service too!

Yeah, but they'll charge you a service fee to even look at it.

My guess is it will be mainly an online ony order or you have to ask in store  to order you one. Not many places will want to carry such an expensive niche set. That won´t stop it getting reduced but it will be interesting to monitor demand at SAH this week. I´m betting it will sell out 1st day and be back ordered through till July. Anything else is bad news after alll the publicity it has had.

Speedbuild video

Speaki

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

On April 27, 2016 at 11:39 PM, ZULU said:

The porsche looked really nice in zebra style. Personally i think it's ridiculous to make an orange standard version. Nobody drives an orange 911. 

The design is nice, but not excellent. So i'm not convinced. 

I think I read earlier somewhere, that the first prototype of this Porsche was built in the factory workers n the orange body color.  Lego just adopted that color because they thought it to be a nice color and because of the first prototype.

Besides that; if you want to show this car off, and I know I would want to, you want it to be a catchy color so that it gets someone's attention.  A yellow is too obvious, and red the same thing.  Those are not special colors anymore...

5 minutes ago, Wimmer said:

I guess I will have to stay up until midnight on the 31st of May, to make sure my order gets rewarded, and not shut down with a 'temporary out of stock' return...

I really, really want at least one set when this opens up...

If the site doesn't shut down on u first :) 

So the main negative issues with this model would appear to be:

Spoiler

wobbly rear hubs (normal as it is a known issue with the part.

Poor turning circle and hard to access steering wheel.

Fiddly sequential gearbox with no wat of telliing what gear is engaged.

4 revers gears!

Problem turning engine in lower gears due to friction.

Edited by Val-E

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

So the main negative issues with this model would appear to be:

Reveal hidden contents

Does anyone else have issues with the "Reveal hidden contents" section? For me (FF on Linux) it doesn't expand but just takes me to the top of the page everytime I click.

• Like 1