42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS

TheOrcKing

Just now, Phil B said:

Does anyone else have issues with the "Reveal hidden contents" section? For me (FF on Linux) it doesn't expand but just takes me to the top of the page everytime I click.

Same issue in a few browsers for me as well.  When I refresh the screen, the comments are revealed for a split second at which time I could quickly copy and paste to be read.

Doesn't work for me either... I don't think we need the spoiler tags.

• wobbly rear hubs (normal as it is a known issue with the part.
  • Poor turning circle and hard to access steering wheel.
  • Fiddly sequential gearbox with no wat of telliing what gear is engaged.
  • 4 revers gears!
  • Problem turning engine in lower gears due to friction.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Phil B said:

It's not just with yours - I have this with other posts using Spoilers as well - I think there might be a forum bug ....

Try shift-F5 refreshing the current page... I did that and now the spoiler tag works. Definitely wasn't opening for me earlier.

Either way.. I don' t honestly see how those complaints will affect sales of the set. People who buy it only to display (which I think will be the majority here) won't care... real Technic aficionados will just fix it themselves and likely a dozen people will have posted their fix before 99% of the June 1st buyers even build theirs.

53 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Try shift-F5 refreshing the current page... I did that and now the spoiler tag works. Definitely wasn't opening for me earlier.

Either way.. I don' t honestly see how those complaints will affect sales of the set. People who buy it only to display (which I think will be the majority here) won't care... real Technic aficionados will just fix it themselves and likely a dozen people will have posted their fix before 99% of the June 1st buyers even build theirs.

Most things can be fixed or changed and I am sure the great MOC'ers out there will make this an even greater set!

D1 buy still.

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

Gregg, if it were a sub 200 euro set, I´d agree but for this amount of money one rightly expects not to have these type of flaws. Now it is clear why Lego themselves mentioned that the car was not perfect in their press release.

As we have seen with Hoth and a number of other sets, price and choice of name do make a difference to peoples´ expectations. In the real world, I´d expect a rattly dahsboard and trim on my Fiat but not on a Bentley and certaily not have to fix it myself.

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Gregg, if it were a sub 200 euro set, I´d agree but for this amount of money one rightly expects not to have these type of flaws. Now it is clear why Lego themselves mentioned that the car was not perfect in their press release.

As we have seen with Hoth and a number of other sets, price and choice of name do make a difference to peoples´ expectations. In the real world, I´d expect a rattly dahsboard and trim on my Fiat but not on a Bentley and certaily not have to fix it myself.

One of these is a toy.  I don't think TLG has ever made a PERFECT set.

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

I completely agree that it should not have the flaws - my claim is that it will not stop anyone from buying it. Unlike the piece of dung AoH, this is a wonderful looking set and a very good attempt by LEGO to make something better.

10 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It doesn't matter how you look at it.  Lego has to make and market stuff that is prime for retail.  They can't exactly make the perfect set without it costing hundreds more.  Every single Lego set that has been released has its flaws that people find and complain about.  It is a toy with pieces that are all supposed to be interchangeable with one another.

And like @lego rulesmentioned, one is a toy, not a high performance/luxury car.  You are talking about a $300 toy, versus a car that can run over $100,000.  If you want perfection, MOC what you want, don't buy a Lego set.

I never expect perfection from a retail Lego set, although I do expect better quality than some of the sets that have been released.

4 hours ago, gregpj said:

Doesn't work for me either... I don't think we need the spoiler tags.

• wobbly rear hubs (normal as it is a known issue with the part.
  • Poor turning circle and hard to access steering wheel.
  • Fiddly sequential gearbox with no wat of telliing what gear is engaged.
  • 4 revers gears!
  • Problem turning engine in lower gears due to friction.

All of this so far is speculation. There have not been any official reviews published yet (correct me if I am wrong). Lots of it is angry churning over at Eurobricks.

As for the colour, it is close to the official colour Porsche has often had their track-ready (or at least more hardcore) road 911 cars. Some shade of orange has usually been the release and motorshow colour, as well. Goes with the car's personality - seeing a bright orange hissing and screaming GT3RS run about during a track day it makes sense.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Battrax said:

All of this so far is speculation. There have not been any official reviews published yet (correct me if I am wrong). Lots of it is angry churning over at Eurobricks.

As for the colour, it is close to the official colour Porsche has often had their track-ready (or at least more hardcore) road 911 cars. Some shade of orange has usually been the release and motorshow colour, as well. Goes with the car's personality - seeing a bright orange hissing and screaming GT3RS run about during a track day it makes sense.

Without having published his review, Anio confirmed several of those points. He's known to be very harsh in his reviews, we'll see what all the reviewers have to say in the next hours (the embargo is 12 GMT)

Just now, Pomodoro said:

Without having published his review, Anio confirmed several of those points. He's known to be very harsh in his reviews, we'll see what all the reviewers have to say in the next hours (the embargo is 12 GMT)

I know that Anio grumbled about the gearbox. Not to devolve this in to the crapfest it became on Eurobricks, even the MOC that have no real limitation of time, commercial suitability and parts used have gearbox binding issues. It doesn't matter much though what a tiny community of cranky Technic enthusiast thinks (many of them don't even ever buy and/or build official sets). The thing will deservedly sell like hotcakes to a wide public and hopefully lead to follow-up vehicles.

1 minute ago, Battrax said:

I know that Anio grumbled about the gearbox. Not to devolve this in to the crapfest it became on Eurobricks, even the MOC that have no real limitation of time, commercial suitability and parts used have gearbox binding issues. It doesn't matter much though what a tiny community of cranky Technic enthusiast thinks (many of them don't even ever buy and/or build official sets). The thing will deservedly sell like hotcakes to a wide public and hopefully lead to follow-up vehicles.

I'm sure it will sell well, I've said it time and again in this very thread. I was just replying to "All of this so far is speculation" when it's direct feedback from people who've had the set for days if not weeks now.

1 hour ago, Battrax said:

The only people more anal about Lego than Technic AFOLS are Star Wars Afols because they have all the minute film details to be able to compare the sets to.

I have seen some official reviews and videos that were leaked ahead of time and all these points are apparent in them. Of course it will sell well and it looks mighty fine standing still but for 330 Dutch euros it´s a lot of money for a static model with no power functions and a thick book. I hope that other future models will be better executed.

18 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The only people more anal about Lego than Technic AFOLS are Star Wars Afols because they have all the minute film details to be able to compare the sets to.

I have seen some official reviews and videos that were leaked ahead of time and all these points are apparent in them. Of course it will sell well and it looks mighty fine standing still but for 330 Dutch euros it´s a lot of money for a static model with no power functions and a thick book. I hope that other future models will be better executed.

I think the crazy price on your side of the pond is driving some of that criticism. In Canada it's $349.99 CDN which is a relative bargain with today's exchange.

Using official currency exchange rates for today:

$350 CDN is equal to:

• 240 Euros  .. Retail is 300 Euros in France  (works out to $447 CDN, 330 Euros is $481 CDN)
  • 266 USD                     300 USD  (equal to $394 CDN)
  • 184 Pounds                250 Pounds (equal to $475 CDN)

When you consider how much "cheaper" I will be buying it (we are 12.5% cheaper than the US), I can accept a few more flaws. Power Functions would have been sweet, but not for the extra $75 CDN they add to the cost of a set (my approximation of cost).

I can't wait to see if TRU Canada gets it and puts it on sale for 20% off like the normally do with Technic sets.

1 minute ago, gregpj said:

I think the crazy price on your side of the pond is driving some of that criticism. In Canada it's $349.99 CDN which is a relative bargain with today's exchange.

Using official currency exchange rates for today:

$350 CDN is equal to:

• 240 Euros  .. Retail is 300 Euros in France  (works out to $447 CDN, 330 Euros is $481 CDN)
  • 266 USD                     300 USD  (equal to $394 CDN)
  • 184 Pounds                250 Pounds (equal to $475 CDN)

When you consider how much "cheaper" I will be buying it (we are 12.5% cheaper than the US), I can accept a few more flaws. Power Functions would have been sweet, but not for the extra $75 CDN they add to the cost of a set (my approximation of cost).

I can't wait to see if TRU Canada gets it and puts it on sale for 20% off like the normally do with Technic sets.

But prices in Canada don't include sales tax, do they? So the comparison with Europe is not 100% accurate. However, I assume that including tax, the price is still way below the premium price I have to pay here in Belgium: €330.

1 minute ago, BearCrash said:

But prices in Canada don't include sales tax, do they? So the comparison with Europe is not 100% accurate. However, I assume that including tax, the price is still way below the premium price I have to pay here in Belgium: €330.

Right, that doesn't include tax.. My tax rate is 13% so that lands $395.50 equal to 271 Euros.

I don't usually worry too much about the tax rate since that's beyond my control - some folks in the US pay tax, some don't. I just compare MSRP... but for my illustration above I should.

350 CDN + 13% tax (my rate) = $395.50 is equal to:

• 271 Euros  .. Retail is 300 Euros in France  (works out to $447 CDN, 330 Euros is $481 CDN)
  • 300 USD                     300 USD  (equal to $394 CDN)
  • 208 Pounds                250 Pounds (equal to $475 CDN)

Anyone paying tax in the US is paying more than me.

I tried to scour this thread for answer to my question - either I missed it or it was still confusion.

Were there any confirmation that the first batch (however many it is, or at least those make available through LEGO Shop at Home) contains set with serial no.?

The price is really prohibiting. I am still on the fence for this one. I will buy it eventually, but deliberating whether it should be a first day buy.