42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS

TheOrcKing

I'm also very amazed about how the LEGO Porsche's color is NOT "Lava orange". All the other flaws aside, who in the company thought (and why did Porsche not intervene?) that using "regular LEGO orange" was a good idea for making a $300 set authentic? They spent very much effort on the box, the rims, the transmission and many more things - but the most obvious point (getting the color right) was simply ignored... I don't get it.

10 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

I'm also very amazed about how the LEGO Porsche's color is NOT "Lava orange". All the other flaws aside, who in the company thought (and why did Porsche not intervene?) that using "regular LEGO orange" was a good idea for making a $300 set authentic? They spent very much effort on the box, the rims, the transmission and many more things - but the most obvious point (getting the color right) was simply ignored... I don't get it.

Making new parts is one thing - and I'll bet they go through a very rigorous process to see if the part can be used/useful in other sets - but a new color just for one set? And in that many different parts? Not a chance that was ever going to happen. What other sets could LEGO have used Lava Orange?

7 minutes ago, Nawoo said:

I was at the London Lego store at 930pm last night, and the salesgirl seemed very confident when she told me that the set would be available in the morning.

Could so much have changed since then?

Yes, if TLG stuck to their own embargo of not viewing external reviews before June 1st.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gregpj said:

Making new parts is one thing - and I'll bet they go through a very rigorous process to see if the part can be used/useful in other sets - but a new color just for one set? And in that many different parts? Not a chance that was ever going to happen. What other sets could LEGO have used Lava Orange?

If they can't get the color right, then maybe they shouldn't make this Porsche in the first place.

- TLG licensing department in a parallel universe: "Hey, we got the licencse deal for the Batman Tumbler done, but don't have any black Creator pieces - what now?"
- TLG development team in a parallel universe: "Doesn't matter, we'll just take brown. Most people don't know the difference between black and brown and the Dark Knight mostly drives at night, so you won't notice it's not black anyway. So put a $200 tag on it and get the next license. We'll do the rest."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

If they can't get the color right, then maybe they shouldn't make this Porsche in the first place.

- TLG licensing department in a parallel universe: "Hey, we got the licencse deal for the Batman Tumbler done, but don't have any black Creator pieces - what now?"
- TLG development team in a parallel universe: "Doesn't matter, we'll just take brown. Most people don't know the difference between black and brown and the Dark Knight mostly drives at night, so you won't notice it's not black anyway. So put a $200 tag on it and get the next license. We'll do the rest."

Most people will just say "close enough" and those that would have liked it to have been true Lava Orange will probably say "oh well, it's a freakin' Porsche made out of LEGO." Consumers... a funny bunch aren't they? ;)

5 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Kylo Ren´s ship, anyone?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

In that case though they were working from concept art weren't they.  With the Porsche they were stood next to the real thing. 

Well, it would have been the previous one as this is the 2016 model year. However, seeing as very little resembles the actual car in terms of the chassis, it´s clear that a lot of artistic licence has been used.

After reading 5 different reviews, the results seem to be the same.If you want a Lego display model and an nice box, this is for you. If you expect a fully functioning technic gadget then expect disappointment and look to the Actros or BWE instead.

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Well, it would have been the previous one as this is the 2016 model year. However, seeing as very little resembles the actual car in terms of the chassis, it´s clear that a lot of artistic licence has been used.

After reading 5 different reviews, the results seem to be the same.If you want a Lego display model and an nice box, this is for you. If you expect a fully functioning technic gadget then expect disappointment and look to the Actros or BWE instead.

I'm looking for a display model and I suspect the majority are as well. If I wanted a fully functioning RC car I would get something like this..

http://hpiracing.world/fr/kit/115126

That's my view as well. I was sitting on the fence on this for a first day buy. But a non fully functioning Technic art this price looks to me missing the essence of a real machine. So, I'll wait till when there's discount.

2 hours ago, c_rpg said:

Does anyone know: let's say I order one now and they ship it on july 1st. Do I still get the fountain?

There's a trick you can use to ensure the fountain promo. If you order the Porsche, and also order something small like 1 minifig for €3, then Lego will send you the promo + minifig already right away, while your order for the Porsche will be sent separately when available.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Val-E said:

So Porsche would have been better off with a Creator model à la Tumbler instead of Technic (at a lower price, too).

Edited by Frank Brickowski