What did you do today?

Saw Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves today with my family (amazon prime early preview).  We liked it. Jokes were funny, dialogue was decent (some of it was excellent,) characters were good.  There was a cool "cameo" for fans of the D&D cartoon from the late 1980s.  It felt like they kept pretty true to the D&D world.

I'm not saying it was perfect but it was fun.  My high school age daughter, who plays D&D with friends, said it is her favorite movie.  She liked it way more than Free Guy.  It's not Lord of the Rings, but it is a fun, light-hearted, fantasy genre movie with decent action.

BTW: There is a short mid-credit scene after the movie that is worth the wait.

• Like 3

Replaced the baking element of my oven range the other day.  It was pretty straightforward once I found the right Youtube video to learn from.  It took about 1 hour the week prior to troubleshoot the problem (it would not heat up properly).  Then 3 days for the part to arrive.  Then 1/2 hour to replace the element.

Youtube saved me about $80-$100 on technician fees :thumbsu:  

• Like 7

13 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Saw Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves today with my family (amazon prime early preview).  We liked it. Jokes were funny, dialogue was decent (some of it was excellent,) characters were good.  There was a cool "cameo" for fans of the D&D cartoon from the late 1980s.  It felt like they kept pretty true to the D&D world.

I'm not saying it was perfect but it was fun.  My high school age daughter, who plays D&D with friends, said it is her favorite movie.  She liked it way more than Free Guy.  It's not Lord of the Rings, but it is a fun, light-hearted, fantasy genre movie with decent action.

I havent searched much about this movie, but is it the same kind of vibe as the 2 most recent Jumanji movies? Regular people stuck in "Actors" bodies retaining their "real-life" movie characteristics?

13 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I've been looking forward to this for a while but remain skeptical, so your review gives me hope.  This is the kind of movie that could be awesome but they generally screw it up bad.  Still going in with guarded expectations and hoping it over-delivers.

2 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

I havent searched much about this movie, but is it the same kind of vibe as the 2 most recent Jumanji movies? Regular people stuck in "Actors" bodies retaining their "real-life" movie characteristics?

Not avatars like Jumanji.  These characters are living in the D&D world and have consequences in that world.

2 hours ago, Honus said:

I've been looking forward to this for a while but remain skeptical, so your review gives me hope.  This is the kind of movie that could be awesome but they generally screw it up bad.  Still going in with guarded expectations and hoping it over-delivers.

I heard a bunch of negative  stuff about this movie and had the same skeptical attitude.  I admit, that probably made me like it more.  My feeling is stronger than "this didn't suck."  Our family actually enjoyed the movie.  The biggest complaint I had heard was this was woke with the women owning the guys.  However, that assessments is not entirely accurate.  I cannot say more without giving away plot points.

I really felt like the entire team worked as a unit without any favoritism to any one character.  Think of a D&D campaign and how each member brings something to the campaign.  That is how the movie portrays the group.  At the risk of giving something away, I think my favorite character is the Paladin.  Always lawful, good, and will never be involved in anything nefarious.  I love how they portrayed him in the movie.  My wife thought his scenes were good but when I explained the Paladin character, those scenes made even more sense to her, including him walking a straight line. 

I give my wife credit for going as she has never been a D&D fan but knows that our daughter is and I have been.  Even she enjoyed the movie.  I think that says a lot!

Admittedly, if the tkts hadn't been 30% off, I don't know if I would have paid full price.  At this point, I'm willing to see it a second time.  Seeing the cartoon characters cameo (but you have to know what you're looking for) in this live-action movie made me realize there are probably a lot more Easter eggs I missed.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Kind of weird seeing it full of newer sets.  Where are the sets that retired 2 years ago but linger since they are 150% overpriced / TRU MSRP? :P

Did you see any Skylanders / Disney toys to life anywhere in that store ?

I didn’t, it’s also still weird to me to see the whole video game section gone.

Dial of Destiny got me into an Indiana Jones mood so I watched Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for the first time since it was released (2nd viewing total).
Some awkward moments aside for the first 45 mins I was like, "This isn't too bad, why did I hate it so much?" - And then the rest of the movie happened.
How the **** are they going to retcon this travesty?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

My GF always wanted to run the Boston Marathon course so we did that on Saturday. I was looking for some things to do yesterday

So I always wanted to be an astronaut so I flew to the space station this weekend. Thanks, Elon!

I expect you guys run multiple marathons a year since you probably didn’t just decide to do the marathon on a whim :)  and if you had, you probably would have found lying in bed all day the perfect activity to fill the next day. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Art of the Brick was back

That reminded me when we went to a museum with a section with LEGO art several years ago.  It had Warhols's Marilyn Monroe and Vader framed pictures made of LEGO.  Never thought people could buy those directly from LEGO and make those themselves.  Smaller than what were hanged in the museum, but close enough.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheBrickClique said:

So I always wanted to be an astronaut so I flew to the space station this weekend. Thanks, Elon!

I expect you guys run multiple marathons a year since you probably didn’t just decide to do the marathon on a whim :)  and if you had, you probably would have found lying in bed all day the perfect activity to fill the next day. 

She is an elite runner from outside of the USA so this and everything she does is well planned out down to what watch band I should wear. I am more of a 5K/10K/Tri guy so I did a 6 week training plan. My biggest issue was sun/wind burn on my face even after putting on 2 layers of protective serum. 

My time was just under 5 hours so no records were broken on that day it was more for the enjoyment of the experience. We had plenty of time in bed after for active recovery and to eat. I still lost weight and I look shredded AF. The exhibit was less than an hour and after we went to Newberry street and it pains me to say this as an all Philly sports fan and native but Boston is a much nicer place at least all the areas I saw. 

Not all BPers are fattys living in their mother’s basements, just the Moderators ;)  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

She is an elite runner from outside of the USA so this and everything she does is well planned out down to what watch band I should wear. I am more of a 5K/10K/Tri guy so I did a 6 week training plan. My biggest issue was sun/wind burn on my face even after putting on 2 layers of protective serum. 

My time was just under 5 hours so no records were broken on that day it was more for the enjoyment of the experience. We had plenty of time in bed after for active recovery and to eat. I still lost weight and I look shredded AF. The exhibit was less than an hour and after we went to Newberry street and it pains me to say this as an all Philly sports fan and native but Boston is a much nicer place at least all the areas I saw. 

Not all BPers are fattys living in their mother’s basements, just the Moderators ;)  

There are many ways to stay in shape.
Top 30 Churning Butter GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Was rudely awoken around 1 am by a ton of noise from the alley - what sounded like chainsaws and lots of banging. I got up and looked out the window to see firemen battling a blaze in a garage across the alley.
image.thumb.jpeg.a063ac2dd84d4a12543b538f4e3ee7aa.jpeg

Seemed like they had it under control, so no need to bother them, but checked the nest camera I have that points that direction and noticed something strange as I scanned through the footage, a bike was there and then not there. Looked and found a dude rolled up about 12:30, went between the two garages for about one minute and then returned to his bike and left. Smoke starts coming from the garage a couple minutes later. There wasn't a car in there at least, I think the landlord was just storing crap inside. Why didn't the firebug just burn down the vacant eyesore on my block? Obviously I went out and shared the video with the police.

image.png.2b05a1a7505e13003449fc30d491a793.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

Was rudely awoken around 1 am by a ton of noise from the alley - what sounded like chainsaws and lots of banging. I got up and looked out the window to see firemen battling a blaze in a garage across the alley.
image.thumb.jpeg.a063ac2dd84d4a12543b538f4e3ee7aa.jpeg

Seemed like they had it under control, so no need to bother them, but checked the nest camera I have that points that direction and noticed something strange as I scanned through the footage, a bike was there and then not there. Looked and found a dude rolled up about 12:30, went between the two garages for about one minute and then returned to his bike and left. Smoke starts coming from the garage a couple minutes later. There wasn't a car in there at least, I think the landlord was just storing crap inside. Why didn't the firebug just burn down the vacant eyesore on my block? Obviously I went out and shared the video with the police.

image.png.2b05a1a7505e13003449fc30d491a793.png

Wow, I hate that, but glad you were able to share some footage.

8 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Dadbod AF…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

it's also an age thing...no one should get any credit for looking fit in their 20s...or 30s...for those saying age is just a number...yeah...i bet your under the age of 45...

it gets exponentially harder to stay fit after the age of 40 with every 3 years or so.  

It takes work staying in shape at any age really. Sedentary lifestyles and overeating are as much a problem at 20 as they are at 40. 

4 hours ago, Mathew said:

It takes work staying in shape at any age really. Sedentary lifestyles and overeating are as much a problem at 20 as they are at 40. 

Many factors at play. Genetics and high metabolism make it easier for some than others. 32 was the age I had to start really watching what I ate and drank. 

This is how I envision you waking up everyday.

image.gif.592ca0a8acdf3125b513fe70035d9dd3.gif

34 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Many factors at play. Genetics and high metabolism make it easier for some than others. 32 was the age I had to start really watching what I ate and drank. 

This is how I envision you waking up everyday.

image.gif.592ca0a8acdf3125b513fe70035d9dd3.gif

About to turn 33. I’ve experienced some unique changes over the last few years. I’ve never been a big drinker, but prior to 30 I quit altogether. Don’t like the taste, so don’t need it. Chips have always been a big weakness of mine, but last year I pretty much stopped buying them. Bloating was becoming too much. That’s relatively fixed now. Walking several miles a day also helps.

The thing I’ve started to experience is meeting people who have lived hard the last 10-15 years (partying and other poor decision making), and seeing peers that now look 10-15 years older than me. Genetics are somewhat important but I find to often become an excuse to not try being in better shape. It’s like people who don’t want to lift because what if they become too big and bulky. That is a highly unlikely bridge you will ever cross.

• Like 3