What did you do today?

Many things we can do to keep in shape.  The key is to just be consistent -- don't miss workouts.  There's always days I'm just not feeling it but I just tell myself I'll just warm up and stretch.  Inevitably I wind up doing more and many times it turns out to be a great workout.  But even if I only warm up and stretch, it keeps me on the wagon.

Big thing for me too is to get my workout done first thing in the morning before I get busy and/or tired later in the day.  Goal is to get my weights done in the morning and then some cardio later in the day/night.  To me at least, its easier to get myself to do a little cardio later in the day than focus on a weight workout.  And if I miss cardio its ok.  Still got a good workout in for the day 😀

• Like 4

My physical condition peak was at the age of 29. I bicycled across the country that year. Then when I turned 30, I threw my back out for the first time and it’s been downhill since.  Once you have kids, all of those “programs” go out to the garbage can with the diapers.  And throw a LEGO side hustle in with your day job (gotta pay for Junior’s college) and then you can daydream about those twenties when you were in peak health and didn’t get winded moving Taj Mahals and UCS Falcons around the storage unit.

Anyways, kudos to those who can stay in shape and run marathons — I’m genuinely envious. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheBrickClique said:

My physical condition peak was at the age of 29. I bicycled across the country that year. Then when I turned 30, I threw my back out for the first time and it’s been downhill since.  Once you have kids, all of those “programs” go out to the garbage can with the diapers.  And throw a LEGO side hustle in with your day job (gotta pay for Junior’s college) and then you can daydream about those twenties when you were in peak health and didn’t get winded moving Taj Mahals and UCS Falcons around the storage unit.

Anyways, kudos to those who can stay in shape and run marathons — I’m genuinely envious. 

Don’t give up hope. My peak was 26, I had been doing “two a days” for 4 years after college but then got married, had kids and got fat. I had never been fat as a child we had no HFCS and video games so activity and healthy eating was easy. In my late 30’s early 40’s I tried chasing that 26 year old body but it was not possible. As others have stated once you get over 40 it becomes harder to gain and maintain muscle mass do to decreases HGH and Testosterone levels, and once 60 everything must be near perfect diet, exercise, sleep, health no injuries and so on. But your body can still look great and do amazing things. 

One of the easiest things we can all do is only drink water, no empty calories from fluids especially alcohol.  Stop eating out at restaurants and in the vehicle is another and be active early in the morning after a good nights rest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spener90 said:

About to turn 33. I’ve experienced some unique changes over the last few years. I’ve never been a big drinker, but prior to 30 I quit altogether. Don’t like the taste, so don’t need it. Chips have always been a big weakness of mine, but last year I pretty much stopped buying them. Bloating was becoming too much. That’s relatively fixed now. Walking several miles a day also helps.

The thing I’ve started to experience is meeting people who have lived hard the last 10-15 years (partying and other poor decision making), and seeing peers that now look 10-15 years older than me. Genetics are somewhat important but I find to often become an excuse to not try being in better shape. It’s like people who don’t want to lift because what if they become too big and bulky. That is a highly unlikely bridge you will ever cross.

You're on the right track.  I was the same way with chips. The bloating you felt mostly has to do with the oils used in making them. Not all chips are created equal.  Its always fun to make your own at home. Fresh organic potatoes and ev olive oil can easily fill the void. And you can seasonal them to your liking.

It turns out in my case, it was mostly the crunchy sensation I enjoyed. Since cutting out chips, I have since found healthier options as substitutes that do the trick.

I agree with your sentiments regarding peers, alcohol & ciggarettes are a huge factor. Alcohol is scientifically classified as a poison for a reason.  The past five years I have benefited from life events that allowed me to cut this out entirely. The effects were immediately noticeable.  One example, I had an uncle growing up who always had a Marb red dangling in his lips and a tumbler of whiskey in hand. Im talking any family events, when he woke up, at breakfast, lunch and dinner and inbetween. 

He is now 72 and had his bladder removed in '22.  First thing he asked the Dr. was 'Can I still drink?'

This hit me so hard, its given me a life mission to stay active and elminate alcohol all together. 

6 hours ago, TheBrickClique said:

Running is VERY overated. Its actually a very complicated excercise that is made to look easy.  Shoes, surfaces, gait, sun exposure there are so many dangers involved that dont show their ugly head until its too late. 

I ran the Boston marathon and countless halves 10K's hundreds of 5k's in my twenty's.  Now the only time I run is when my cat is about to throw up on the carpet😁  All joking aside, I think some mentioned it earlier, but low impact cardio is the best thing for you.  Swimming, rowing, biking, and my favorite, Elipticals can all elicit very good aerobic excersise.  And as @gmpirate mentioned, the benefits of simiply stretching astronomical to your overall health.  

• Like 1

I do not really exercise,  but I can tell my body regenerates / heals slower as I get older.  Forget the 20s and 30s, even my mid 40s body is much slower than early 40s. :P

As far as weight control, I find intermittent fasting to be helpful (and simple).  I just stop eating after dinner (around 7pm) until lunch (about 1pm) the next day to rest my digestive system.  Nothing to consume in that time except water, plain tea, or plain coffee.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

As far as weight control, I find intermittent fasting to be helpful (and simple).  I just stop eating after dinner (around 7pm) until lunch (about 1pm) the next day to rest my digestive system.  Nothing to consume in that time except water, plain tea, or plain coffee.  

I’m considering fasting. I want to also give up alcohol again. I lost five pounds just for dry January but started drinking again in February. How fast do you find the weight comes off with your fasting regimen ?

3 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

Running is VERY overated. Its actually a very complicated excercise that is made to look easy.  Shoes, surfaces, gait, sun exposure there are so many dangers involved that dont show their ugly head until its too late. 

I ran the Boston marathon and countless halves 10K's hundreds of 5k's in my twenty's.  Now the only time I run is when my cat is about to throw up on the carpet😁  All joking aside, I think some mentioned it earlier, but low impact cardio is the best thing for you.  Swimming, rowing, biking, and my favorite, Elipticals can all elicit very good aerobic excersise.  And as @gmpirate mentioned, the benefits of simiply stretching astronomical to your overall health.  

Great stuff here!

I normally only run once a week a 5K on Sunday mornings to clear my mind it is very therapeutic.  I swim 3 days a week and lift the other 3. My routine rarely allows for a day off as 1 day leads to 2 and 2 to a sedentary life style. The knowledge deficit so many people have about nutrition is key issue as well people actually think they are eating healthy but have no clue. Another big help can be to get, use and understand all of the features of an Apple Watch or Garmin. 

CACF67CD-2F5B-4D81-969E-0E84CEAACCC9.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I’m considering fasting. I want to also give up alcohol again. I lost five pounds just for dry January but started drinking again in February. How fast do you find the weight comes off with your fasting regimen ?

To be honest I do not keep track of my weight.  I just know some pants get tighter the longer I don't put control around my appetite.  Also, I figured out over the years that focusing on weight was not really compatible with my personality type. :D I'd rather focus on getting healthy and leave weight reduction as its results.

I do know with most diets, I lose a lot of water weight in the beginning then the weight loss kind of plateau for some time as my body adjusts to the new habit / routine.  I have read that this was normal but could be overwhelming especially after all of the hard work that was put into the new routine.  One of the reasons I shifted my focus to getting and staying healthy.  Once I understand (and feel) the benefits of the routine, it is harder to get off the wagon and easier to jump back in should I fall. :)

• Like 4

For me, I have found that switching to a low carb diet and an active lifestyle really helps with the weight control (I'm in my 50s.) 

For weight loss, in my late 40s I did a full on Keto lifestyle change with high activity and saw very fast weight loss results.  So fast, that I lost just over 100 pounds in six months.  

I was doing full Keto, lots of walking/light jogging every morning and light weight lifting about three times per week.  Basically, ensuring I was hitting about 15K steps EVERY day.  Of course, adding muscle aids in the fat burn.

I slept so much better, had lots of energy, had much better mental clarity (many people on Keto say this) and just felt great.  I was using my phone to track my steps and the app "my fitness pal" to track my food intake. 

After about two months and getting into a routine, the need to track everything went away as your body stopped craving all the bad stuff (high carbs) and you just kind of know what to eat.  

I did intermittent fasting (i.e. didn't eat after 7 and skipped breakfast the next morning) 1-2 times per week as well.

I know it sounds crazy, but when you are in full Ketosis (basically your body burns fat for energy instead of glucose/carbs) you can almost feel the fat burning.  

No doubt your mileage may vary but that is what has worked for me.

Happy to share more for those interested.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Honus said:

I know it sounds crazy, but when you are in full Ketosis (basically your body burns fat for energy instead of glucose/carbs) you can almost feel the fat burning. 

This! You can definitely “feel” the difference, no fasting even needed just a calorie deficit which as you said is easier with the more muscle mass you have. Just eat lean and clean for health as well. I used to do cheat day then down to cheat meal then just ice cream once a week but once you get in the zone you will no longer desire junk and that full/stuffed feeling actually makes you feel sick 

Wow 100 lbs is amazing the only time I lost 100 lbs is when I got divoriced 🤣

Speaking from experience your body is also hardwired to store excess calories as fat after fasting and you gain it back much faster than you loose it. This happened to me in 2018 when I had to have surgery and could not lift for 2 months. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2023 at 5:38 AM, Pseudoty said:

Not all BPers are fattys living in their mother’s basements, just the Moderators

On 4/11/2023 at 7:38 AM, exciter1 said:

There are many ways to stay in shape.
Top 30 Churning Butter GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Everyday I'm churnin', Everyday I'm churnin'.... :bling:

2 hours ago, Honus said:

For weight loss, in my late 40s I did a full on Keto lifestyle change with high activity and saw very fast weight loss results.  So fast, that I lost just over 100 pounds in six months. 

Well done! On the subject, the Ketogenic diet is one of the few "fad" diets that has good results from what I have read and a long history as treatment for epilepsy in children.

1 hour ago, TheOrcKing said:

Well done! On the subject, the Ketogenic diet is one of the few "fad" diets that has good results from what I have read and a long history as treatment for epilepsy in children.

A little off topic, keto diet was one the reason I became very skeptical of the news media.  Early in the "fad", most articles in Health section of Google News had the headline of "Danger of low carb high fat diet".

Once the weight loss programs (Slim4Life,etc) came up with their own variety of keto products, the headlines on magazines at grocery stores' check out lanes said "Keto is the best thing ever".

:D :D 

Edited by Darth_Raichu
added high fat, does not make sense otherwise

15 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

SpaceX Starship Flight Test in 30 minutes. This could be a fireball!

Me: I'm horrified at the sugesstion of a catastrophoc failure resultig in massive loss of time, money, and resources.

Also me: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4709ch9tptmcjae033vi

Edited by MrToes16
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Youtube won. I saw the thumbnail and had to see the video. :P  Miraculously, driver only suffered minor injuries...

"Some reports the party was trying to flee the scene".  Ummm... I'm sure the driver of the truck was thinking, "She's pulling a little to the left, but I don't think anyone will notice if we high-tail it outta here!"

I want to know the make of that tire.  I'm always looking for a tire with a decent "compact car ejection" rating, but oddly the manufacturers don't readily disclose them.  That tire had it and "second-round kick in the arse" capabilities as well!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBrickClique said:

"Some reports the party was trying to flee the scene".  Ummm... I'm sure the driver of the truck was thinking, "She's pulling a little to the left, but I don't think anyone will notice if we high-tail it outta here!"

I want to know the make of that tire.  I'm always looking for a tire with a decent "compact car ejection" rating, but oddly the manufacturers don't readily disclose them.  That tire had it and "second-round kick in the arse" capabilities as well!

The truck was veering right with 3 tires.  Kind of crazy it did not hit anything else as it changed lanes.  I thought it would have spun in place but I guess the inertia of the 3 tires were enough to push it away from the Kia.

The tire has the same property as the green turtle shell from Mariokart.  😛

Would you mind sharing the best (least expensive) way to get the black & grey spacemen.

I have the purple alien so I'd also appreciate the best route to get the pieces for that as well.

2 hours ago, mplsabdullah said:

Would you mind sharing the best (least expensive) way to get the black & grey spacemen.

I have the purple alien so I'd also appreciate the best route to get the pieces for that as well.

The grey torso is from the space boy CMF from series 17.  Then you need to either source one of the newer motorcycle helmets in LBG, or one of the old Grey space helmets if you're a purist in that they need to look like the OG space figures.  The space tanks will have to be old grey as they have not made that part in new bluish grey. I have made the same setup as pictured above, and created a 2nd LBG spaceman if you're interested.  Purple helmet was in a Chinese New Year set for some reason, unless you want new style helmet, where you need to go look at Knights Kingdom 2 figure Danju with purple helmet.