What did you do today?

2 hours ago, gmpirate said:

We converted the garage to a gym during Covid although it took forever for all the equipment to come in.  It was already built-out (drywalled/recessed lights) so just needed matts.  Went to Tractor Trailer and bought horse matts.  Tape the seams with black gorilla tape and it works great without the big cost of "gym" matts.  All "Rogued Out" now!  Not sure I could jump rope either since I'm 6'3" 🙃

Please excuse the mess as I'm building out a new network cabinet . . .

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpeg

IMG_9857.jpeg

DAMN, Nice setup! Did you get the Rogue lat pull down attachment? I wanted that but supposedly it is so long you have to use it from your knees. What do you use for cable crossovers if anything? I use the Rogue power bands. Those are the 2 machines that I miss from the gym. 
Pics from when I was setting mine up. 

2B482A3E-D1F4-43C4-B19E-3C5090E515B8.jpeg

0322D79B-DE8A-44CD-9984-55BE26E610A4.jpeg

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

but they are also girlie men. 

Favorite thing I read today. We have been using the garage as a gym since covid. I'm up at 0430-45 working out. I'm excited to be able to blast tunes without waking up the family. The deer are going to be a little confused. Also, who knew so many of us had home gyms? 

Nice job with the gym, would be nice to have that space but i make do with what i have. I have a c2 which I have to fold and keep after every session, couple of kettlebells, a pair of rings and a pull up bar. Simple but its more than enough to keep me in shape. 

It does look sharp and saves space if space is a premium. However, the cost it adds to an electrical job is astronomical.  
The quote for wiring my basement went from $4500 down to $283 without recessed lighting. 

For recessed cans? That’s ridiculous. Even in fully sheet rocked ceilings an electrician should be able to snake cable and install wafer lights with ease for a few hundred dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

DAMN, Nice setup! Did you get the Rogue lat pull down attachment? I wanted that but supposedly it is so long you have to use it from your knees. What do you use for cable crossovers if anything? I use the Rogue power bands. Those are the 2 machines that I miss from the gym. 
Pics from when I was setting mine up. 

Attachment?  You mean the cage attachment?  I forget why, but I bought the stand alone lat pulldown (with seated row).  Some of the equipment was too tall -- hence no cable crossovers.  I wanted to order the power bands but couldn't find the product page when I looked last.

They have new equipment out since I made my initial purchases that I wish I had room for.  If I were starting now I would probably get the Monster Cave and Cable Crossover's (if my ceiling was high enough).  I would never have bought the leg press if I had realized I couldn't do calves on it -- plus I'm more into squats and dead lifts now.  That's actually my biggest regret.  It was expensive, takes up a ton of room and I only use it to warm up on now.  Imo, it was just not well designed.  The weights hit against the machine as you raise and lower it and the plate pegs make no sense at all.  Once you load the 45's on a set of  storage pins there is only room for dimes on the other pegs?!?!

Not sure how I feel about the Donkey yet.  I need to take the time to really learn the machine.  Thinking of getting landmines next with the platform.  All rock solid equipment!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

For recessed cans? That’s ridiculous. Even in fully sheet rocked ceilings an electrician should be able to snake cable and install wafer lights with ease for a few hundred dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He could be talking California dollars.  I know so many guys that just throw ridiculous numbers out because there is a big shortage of man power.  I just overpaid for a job by several thousand dollars just because I "needed it done".  

57 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

He could be talking California dollars.  I know so many guys that just throw ridiculous numbers out because there is a big shortage of man power.  I just overpaid for a job by several thousand dollars just because I "needed it done".  

It ain't just California.  We got quoted $18,000 for painting the inside of a 2600sf house.  Ended up getting someone to do it for $3500. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, gmpirate said:

Attachment?  You mean the cage attachment?  I forget why, but I bought the stand alone lat pulldown (with seated row).  Some of the equipment was too tall -- hence no cable crossovers.  I wanted to order the power bands but couldn't find the product page when I looked last.

They have new equipment out since I made my initial purchases that I wish I had room for.  If I were starting now I would probably get the Monster Cave and Cable Crossover's (if my ceiling was high enough).  I would never have bought the leg press if I had realized I couldn't do calves on it -- plus I'm more into squats and dead lifts now.  That's actually my biggest regret.  It was expensive, takes up a ton of room and I only use it to warm up on now.  Imo, it was just not well designed.  The weights hit against the machine as you raise and lower it and the plate pegs make no sense at all.  Once you load the 45's on a set of  storage pins there is only room for dimes on the other pegs?!?!

Not sure how I feel about the Donkey yet.  I need to take the time to really learn the machine.  Thinking of getting landmines next with the platform.  All rock solid equipment!

I was referring to the cage attachment:

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-monster-slinger

and then you get Accesories like the lat pulldown bar, and triceps attachment, but didn’t know you had the $3.5K stand alone, wow!

I still pay $75/month for a gym membership because I swim indoors throughout the year so that isn’t happening, but I have the bike, treadmill and water rower, which is brutal wish I went with the Concept 2, at home. 

I bought these bands as a kit on BF sale 2017 and they are great don’t have to worry about them breaking with body weight.  I never use the black one and can’t imagine using the silver one unless you are using them with plates.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-monster-bands

when you posted your pics I was going to ask which piece gets the least use.  I was thinking the donkey or the leg press  I remember reading reviews on another unrelated piece of equipment they sell and it had the same issue with the pegs not accommodating the plate diameter. 

I am looking at getting the “speal” bar because I have really been getting into pull-ups since this summer and used it when I did crossfit 2016 and it made a big difference, but that’s only around $150, your budget is insane but like you said their stuff lasts forever.

This mornings swim:

CD70DC97-7F96-41AE-9032-DA5FA8584662.jpeg

Edited by Pseudoty

It ain't just California.  We got quoted $18,000 for painting the inside of a 2600sf house.  Ended up getting someone to do it for $3500. 
My sister and brother in law own a home renovation contracting company and they are booked solid with jobs for the next 2 years out. They still go and do quotes for people but charge exorbitant prices to do the work because the subs they normally hire are already booked up so they would have to branch out to more expensive subs... that and if someone is actually willing to pay the super high prices then they will find a way to squeeze them in.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah, I've been meaning to post this and we've come right around to home improvement! I decided to tear out the drywall ceiling in a part of my circa 1930 house. I imagine it was installed in the late 70s. It's hard to explain exactly what this part of the house is, it WAS the back porch, but then made the sole access to the basement in the 50s. Then reworked again in the 70s. Anyhow, I tore the drywall down and found what everyone hopes to find: a fun new challenge!

IMG_20221003_130438_072.thumb.webp.8002693a9e54a1cbea0c26b13cf08639.webp

Anyways, that's a 2x8 or so that is 80% air thanks to a past termite infestation, and I know there is other damage to the floor in the fully finished (but probably shouldn't have been) porch there. It's wild how rock solid this floor still is. 
One thing I think is actually pretty cool is the way the termites ate only the spring wood, leaving the denser summer wood and leaving knots like this:

JNSYjh1ZX0Rsr47cmwPj0a9ItsZlHjtN-C4eA_ExlLSB8OIq_fllDFN0CuQpCooa2hldO5k_7vAwd9EEl5CEa_NjMkK8Q_hvunKgoApkgz35ujLqC8s8nx0WVLSP6WmWppO-EZrOX5eBbIJfwBjabF-Pi-8tHKjSUllaRd-sI0rgkrFpZPpcgk6f-TwvAzpd0KD_yt9zi1TjFtOXzgUI7_WL-1sNlhsz4jMsLgZQ2CQdIsCIFrwE5sTiVD225IgmMJcRylavynnXGyl9geSyA5wqvWcKoPfSFr8rOrldAzGXgvloKMSw0vSwCVf88e4eW774w5elT--a1c50qv2VSYtGmMQOeeU7R8DKgq-2dmNjD4ZfC_ezoJsPrulvEGucGhvZ4Wdx9Mbp63YavkFuwbCP4SKWvJvcUk_AwX1sboczOw2hCGeiRMKwkts9EfZwI4nXxzSYD8uM7oAZC8FEFyx6j5rPOzrs9NZvDTMq5Hr8MVyjeQOnFgCo9pSsds0bYaBkdArjWpYNSgATHGYtQISqO77lNifCQ_G7zUuJeyUyNA8ClUtbGhf4hBxIWGjvWF0OT4W1ng3WHA8FRtWbUZ_oqqtchq6VpZBTbVrj4RO1GIEZbQcHzaoHJ9jtU01FoFSD2sFFUsqgxmPIJYY9-INe6qMAeocZxTfTYSMi0KIpdX5SdnQvdevzNSAGvDy1z7paoGI4RLGG8TAtTCzcoCfS95vFMxXNqMIQSqzbn5zXTZ51ut1wOI-yfcL45_c-AejU-qwP48ylb6zhOmS9sMIpszOuMUGTXfv9v0UJP90nPrbjn_PHuKxOa3ff8vt6E-O9ebo5Qi2ZBHfGSoogPr755xFGE3OitTlKugKlGNxVrpTJiqu0cNspoiX-b4vR1iE7g-lXDo6xDzzuuVAcZWAFzwASM2SNS_K02ko=w615-h820-no?authuser=0

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, keymomachine said:

Ah, I've been meaning to post this and we've come right around to home improvement! I decided to tear out the drywall ceiling in a part of my circa 1930 house. I imagine it was installed in the late 70s. It's hard to explain exactly what this part of the house is, it WAS the back porch, but then made the sole access to the basement in the 50s. Then reworked again in the 70s. Anyhow, I tore the drywall down and found what everyone hopes to find: a fun new challenge!

IMG_20221003_130438_072.thumb.webp.8002693a9e54a1cbea0c26b13cf08639.webp

Anyways, that's a 2x8 or so that is 80% air thanks to a past termite infestation, and I know there is other damage to the floor in the fully finished (but probably shouldn't have been) porch there. It's wild how rock solid this floor still is. 
One thing I think is actually pretty cool is the way the termites ate only the spring wood, leaving the denser summer wood and leaving knots like this:

JNSYjh1ZX0Rsr47cmwPj0a9ItsZlHjtN-C4eA_ExlLSB8OIq_fllDFN0CuQpCooa2hldO5k_7vAwd9EEl5CEa_NjMkK8Q_hvunKgoApkgz35ujLqC8s8nx0WVLSP6WmWppO-EZrOX5eBbIJfwBjabF-Pi-8tHKjSUllaRd-sI0rgkrFpZPpcgk6f-TwvAzpd0KD_yt9zi1TjFtOXzgUI7_WL-1sNlhsz4jMsLgZQ2CQdIsCIFrwE5sTiVD225IgmMJcRylavynnXGyl9geSyA5wqvWcKoPfSFr8rOrldAzGXgvloKMSw0vSwCVf88e4eW774w5elT--a1c50qv2VSYtGmMQOeeU7R8DKgq-2dmNjD4ZfC_ezoJsPrulvEGucGhvZ4Wdx9Mbp63YavkFuwbCP4SKWvJvcUk_AwX1sboczOw2hCGeiRMKwkts9EfZwI4nXxzSYD8uM7oAZC8FEFyx6j5rPOzrs9NZvDTMq5Hr8MVyjeQOnFgCo9pSsds0bYaBkdArjWpYNSgATHGYtQISqO77lNifCQ_G7zUuJeyUyNA8ClUtbGhf4hBxIWGjvWF0OT4W1ng3WHA8FRtWbUZ_oqqtchq6VpZBTbVrj4RO1GIEZbQcHzaoHJ9jtU01FoFSD2sFFUsqgxmPIJYY9-INe6qMAeocZxTfTYSMi0KIpdX5SdnQvdevzNSAGvDy1z7paoGI4RLGG8TAtTCzcoCfS95vFMxXNqMIQSqzbn5zXTZ51ut1wOI-yfcL45_c-AejU-qwP48ylb6zhOmS9sMIpszOuMUGTXfv9v0UJP90nPrbjn_PHuKxOa3ff8vt6E-O9ebo5Qi2ZBHfGSoogPr755xFGE3OitTlKugKlGNxVrpTJiqu0cNspoiX-b4vR1iE7g-lXDo6xDzzuuVAcZWAFzwASM2SNS_K02ko=w615-h820-no?authuser=0

That's going to be a costly pain! Is the wood damp? The boards above look like they were water damaged at one point and carpenter ants often like to nest in damp wood. 

Got into car accident on Sunday, airbag deployed and everything.  The other driver decided to cross the road without noticing me coming in from his left.  We walked out of the cars fine, seatbelts FTW.

Weird how I did not feel the body aches until 2-3 days later.  The biggest headache (ha!) is going to be finding a new car or even a used car to replace my CRV 

image_2022-10-08_131722250.png

• Sad 8

2 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Got into car accident on Sunday, airbag deployed and everything.  The other driver decided to cross the road without noticing me coming in from his left.  We walked out of the cars fine, seatbelts FTW.

Weird how I did not feel the body aches until 2-3 days later.  The biggest headache (ha!) is going to be finding a new car or even a used car to replace my CRV 

That stinks, glad you are ok.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

OMG. I'm glad you are ok. 

Market is not that bad. In the sense MSRP.

I wouldn't touch a used car at this point.

Picked up a crosstrek limited last month at MSRP. No mark up.

3 hours ago, vasp said:

OMG. I'm glad you are ok. 

Market is not that bad. In the sense MSRP.

I wouldn't touch a used car at this point.

Picked up a crosstrek limited last month at MSRP. No mark up.

I looked at some dealership websites and saw the used ones were about the same price as the new ones.  Mostly, there was wait time for getting new ones.

On 10/8/2022 at 11:15 AM, Mark Twain said:

That's going to be a costly pain! Is the wood damp? The boards above look like they were water damaged at one point and carpenter ants often like to nest in damp wood. 

Nope, it's all dry as a bone, I believe it was built as exterior space so built to those standards maybe treated with some cancer causing agents :P. It's definitely going to be costly and take a while, but it was poorly modified in the 50s thru 70s anyways and I've already put together plans to reconfigure it with stairs that go straight and maybe even lose the additional porch room in favor of a deck.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Sorry to hear about the wreck, glad you're ok! I feel similar about finding a new car being the worst part, good luck! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I looked at some dealership websites and saw the used ones were about the same price as the new ones.  Mostly, there was wait time for getting new ones.

Glad you are ok.

You might try calling rental car places.  They are always selling old stock.  I realize it might not be the most desirable but it might be a better price.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TANV said:

Took a sick day today since wife is at work today. 15 month old daughter was diagnosed with RSV Monday evening. She had started coughing since Friday. The virus is pretty nasty piece of work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hope she gets better quick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TANV said:

Took a sick day today since wife is at work today. 15 month old daughter was diagnosed with RSV Monday evening. She had started coughing since Friday. The virus is pretty nasty piece of work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Sucks to hear. Plenty of fluids really helps. Hopefully there is no shortage of amoxicillin in your area.