What did you do today?

Thanks for the replies guys. It's looking pretty expensive ($40 or more for each figure) to find all the parts or buy completes.

And now I realized if I'm going to do it I should probably get a proper blue figure since I was going to just use Benny.

Don't really feel like spending around $150 to get black, purple, grey & maybe blue.

I'll keep checking bricklink.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:36 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

A little off topic, keto diet was one the reason I became very skeptical of the news media.  Early in the "fad", most articles in Health section of Google News had the headline of "Danger of low carb high fat diet".

Once the weight loss programs (Slim4Life,etc) came up with their own variety of keto products, the headlines on magazines at grocery stores' check out lanes said "Keto is the best thing ever".

:D :D 

Just to clarify 1 thing, upon re-reading this post 1 week later.  The Keto diet is legit.  It helped thousands of people not only to lose weight but also to live healthier.  Moreover, there are tons of anecdotal examples of how symptoms of prolonged illness have been reduced by simply following the Keto protocol.

My disgust was directed at the so called news media that tried to discredit the Keto diet when it started to gain momentum.  They were literally grasping at any straw to show the danger of high fat low card diet even though it has been used for years to control seizures on people with epilepsy.  A couple of years later when the diet companies were ready to release their keto products, the magazines "just happened" to conveniently push it as healthy lifestyle.  (And to think I was this close to choosing a Marketing major back in the day :P )

In any case, if any of you is interested in changing your (unhealthy) diet, first I commend you.  Second, please do your own research and do not get swept away by headlines.  Most importantly, consult with your doctor who understand your particular and unique situations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mplsabdullah said:

Thanks for the replies guys. It's looking pretty expensive ($40 or more for each figure) to find all the parts or buy completes.

And now I realized if I'm going to do it I should probably get a proper blue figure since I was going to just use Benny.

Don't really feel like spending around $150 to get black, purple, grey & maybe blue.

I'll keep checking bricklink.

I completed mine a few months ago, and at that time the Black and L(B)G ones were already hard to find complete or in parts. Got my L(B)G one for slightly under $20 after shipping & taxes, and my black one for $28 shipped.

Purple requires the investment in a Chinese New Year set - I had the torso already from the CMF series.

8 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Just to clarify 1 thing, upon re-reading this post 1 week later.  The Keto diet is legit.  It helped thousands of people not only to lose weight but also to live healthier.  Moreover, there are tons of anecdotal examples of how symptoms of prolonged illness have been reduced by simply following the Keto protocol.

My disgust was directed at the so called news media that tried to discredit the Keto diet when it started to gain momentum.  They were literally grasping at any straw to show the danger of high fat low card diet even though it has been used for years to control seizures on people with epilepsy.  A couple of years later when the diet companies were ready to release their keto products, the magazines "just happened" to conveniently push it as healthy lifestyle.  (And to think I was this close to choosing a Marketing major back in the day :P )

In any case, if any of you is interested in changing your (unhealthy) diet, first I commend you.  Second, please do your own research and do not get swept away by headlines.  Most importantly, consult with your doctor who understand your particular and unique situations.

Top 30 Corn Dog GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I completed mine a few months ago, and at that time the Black and L(B)G ones were already hard to find complete or in parts. Got my L(B)G one for slightly under $20 after shipping & taxes, and my black one for $28 shipped.

Purple requires the investment in a Chinese New Year set - I had the torso already from the CMF series.

Did not realize black was that rare.  I had 6952 Solar Power Transporter (the only one with blue jetpack) and thought black spaceman was just part of the catalog.

ETA: Black should have worn the jetpack.  That set was passed on to younger siblings and cousins, so the space symbols worn out over the years.  Except for white since he was wearing the jetpack :P

Edited by Darth_Raichu

19 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I agree, 'headlines' or corporate America, preys (profit) upon any undiciplined indivual at every phase of thier life. Wether it be impulse buying, unhealthy eating, education, entertainment, healthcare, etc. The ugly, for profit troll has embeded itself in our lives and also glorified. Being an educated consumer means more now than ever before. Your physical and mental well being is literally and physically at stake. 

When addressing your personal health and diet, its also important to recognize not only what you consume, but also your eating habbits.  Breakfast is called such, because you are breaking fast after sleeping.  This is time to consume natural, fresh foods that replenish your physical state such as water, fruit, nuts, juice, veggies. It will set the tone for the rest of your day and life.  I saw this really profound graphic back in '19 that may help others with clarity on this front.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6609ca761cbfd17bffd993d6a238efd.jpeg

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

This is time to consume natural, fresh foods that replenish your physical state such as water, fruit, nuts, juice, veggies.

Juice isn't really healthy. It should be freshly squeezed, if that, or not at all. It looses basically all of its natural nutrients when it's bottled. Further, the fructose (sugar) that remains (even in the "sugar free" varieties) becomes a burden on your liver (like alcohol) and turns into fat when there's too much to be processed.

I'll assume you know that; I'm just leaving that note there for others (such as myself just last week) that didn't know that & thought it was healthy.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

I'll assume you know that; I'm just leaving that note there for others (such as myself just last week) that didn't know that & thought it was healthy.

These days, its never safe to assume what a person knows lol so I appreciate the clarification. Yes, juice to me is either a smoothie of fresh fruits or fresh from a press. We love our orange press.  You can basically consume as much fruit as you want, your liver will be just fine. Its the added or processed sugars to be concerned with. I try to live by the motto, if you dont buy it you cant drink it.

Today, I just tried a delicious new 'mocktail' for the first time. Blackberry, Mint & honey, it was divine. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

I agree, 'headlines' or corporate America, preys (profit) upon any undiciplined indivual at every phase of thier life. Wether it be impulse buying, unhealthy eating, education, entertainment, healthcare, etc. The ugly, for profit troll has embeded itself in our lives and also glorified. Being an educated consumer means more now than ever before. Your physical and mental well being is literally and physically at stake. 

When addressing your personal health and diet, its also important to recognize not only what you consume, but also your eating habbits.  Breakfast is called such, because you are breaking fast after sleeping.  This is time to consume natural, fresh foods that replenish your physical state such as water, fruit, nuts, juice, veggies. It will set the tone for the rest of your day and life.  I saw this really profound graphic back in '19 that may help others with clarity on this front.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6609ca761cbfd17bffd993d6a238efd.jpeg

Where does cannabis fit in?

Edited by Mathew

On 4/18/2023 at 1:10 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

I recall some of the diet trends growing up in the 90's from Slim Fast to Atkins. Most of the results with losing weight came about more from forming some discipline through a routine than the product or food selection itself. The meal replacement drinks made a whole lot of no sense. Ingredients listed were little more than sugar water mixed with milk powder and some soy protein. Essentially starving oneself by drinking that instead of having a proper meal just to end up overeating later in the day because hunger is a spiteful woman.

I never have put much stock into what a news outlet on its own says. Rather show me the data to shift through the allegedly credible sources. They misinterpret the data, reword the numbers (or inflate them) to sound worse (a result of "2% more likely" suddenly becomes "chance at risk doubles!" or "400% increase!"), or misquote the researchers.

Corporations will virtue signal when the profits become potential enough. Browse through Amazon and a number of products have tags for Keto, Paleo, Organic, Natural, etcetera. Obnoxious as the pandering may be, in the end the virtue signaling ends up benefiting everyone availability of options considering. I only wish the prices for some of these "healthy alternatives" weren't so dang high. (A bag of Allulose costs almost four times as much as the same size in regular granulated sugar. Thank goodness I have never been big on using much sugar in anything.) Also, I think some of the tags were slapped on the item there willy-nilly.

As you mentioned, do the research using multiple sources. One person could praise the benefits of caffeine while another condemning the poisons of it. Additionally listen to thy own body. I for one cannot drink anything with caffeine anymore otherwise I get an overactive bladder.

I used to enjoy Ocean Spray cranberry juice but even the "100% juice" ended up not sitting right with my body nor quenching my thirst. Squeezing lemons is a bit of a chore compared to just buying a bottle of the stuff but due to the pasteurization process they use to kill any potential bacteria also removes the healthful benefits from drinking lemon juice to begin with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaybinx73 said:

but then it blew up

My personal analysis: It all went nominally (lost 3 engines, then 5, but that didn't seem to stop them) until they reached 40km, 2,000km/h speeds and got ready for stage separation. I think that didn't go as planned and the second stage didn't start up ... it should have separated before the flip, but instead the whole thing started flipping, couldn't recover, and ultimately mission control nuked the rocket. Still a massive success as the statement was "anything beyond clearing the pad is bonus".

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Phil B said:

My personal analysis: It all went nominally (lost 3 engines, then 5, but that didn't seem to stop them) until they reached 40km, 2,000km/h speeds and got ready for stage separation. I think that didn't go as planned and the second stage didn't start up ... it should have separated before the flip, but instead the whole thing started flipping, couldn't recover, and ultimately mission control nuked the rocket. Still a massive success as the statement was "anything beyond clearing the pad is bonus".

They are going to have lots of great data to analyze from this launch. I was giddy when it separated from the launch pad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

Seems backwards to consider a rocket blowing up a success. Musk RDF in full effect. 
A35BF069-0126-413E-8DA3-448C5D645AA5.thumb.jpeg.f04c8a295507a53bf8d1c75316c2176f.jpeg

2 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

‘To learn to succeed, you must learn to fail’ - Michael Jordan

We sent man to the moon over fifty years ago with less computing power than an iPhone yet this launch is a success?  I love how this being spinned. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

In before the; "But did we crowd" appears ;)

Considering how we’re having to seemingly start from scratch 50 years later I question it myself. Just remember this is our tax payer money. Money that could be going to better schools, roads, infrastructure here on earth. 

Edited by Mathew
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Seems backwards to consider a rocket blowing up a success. Musk RDF in full effect. 
A35BF069-0126-413E-8DA3-448C5D645AA5.thumb.jpeg.f04c8a295507a53bf8d1c75316c2176f.jpeg

Every space program goes through the same growing pains. Apollo 1 never launched and killed all 3 crew members on the pad.  It's become pretty standard for SpaceX to have several launch anomalies with new rockets.  They appear to keep printing more money anyway, send it overseas and we'll just add to the debt.

1 minute ago, exciter1 said:

Every space program goes through the same growing pains. Apollo 1 never launched and killed all 3 crew members on the pad.  It's become pretty standard for SpaceX to have several launch anomalies with new rockets.

Two different approaches: A Public program like Apollo or SLS would have a lot of political backlash if they just blew stuff up and kept trying. A Private program like SpaceX or Elektron or Virgin Galactic (whelp) can take a faster but riskier approach, as long as they keep their shareholders happy with the progress and the promise of riches. Falcon 9 took a while to get to reliable launches (and even longer to reliable landings), but now they are being launched at a rate of several per week and nobody even bats an eye, nor do you hear of failures. So this is proven territory. Give it a few more launches and SpaceX can focus on the Starship HLS program, and on massive StarLink deployments using this infrastructure.

• Like 2