What did you do today?

2 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

I got married right before I turned 26 and still knew I wasn't ready. Our first year or so was pretty rocky because I was still in work-golf-drink beer mode and she was ready to be a family.

Edit:  We just celebrated 20 years, so it's worked out.  

Good for you man...this day and age stacking two decades is a real accomplishment.  The value many don't see is that have been in a stable relationship allows for household value to grow and mature...I bet you guys are pretty well off financially as well.  We got together at age 26 and we are a good decade ahead (in terms of finance) of our friends who got married much later. 

The risk is ofcourse being with the wrong person...looks like you chose the right mate ...but maybe a bit early...I think the single most important thing in staying together is having the same life goals...no matter how hard it gets...if both sides feel like their goals are being met than it's "worth it"...but again that's a big gamble when people, values, and goals can change.  waiting a bit and letting individuals grow and stabilize before committing to the long term is a "safer" bet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Good for you man...this day and age stacking two decades is a real accomplishment.  The value many don't see is that have been in a stable relationship allows for household value to grow and mature...I bet you guys are pretty well off financially as well.  We got together at age 26 and we are a good decade ahead (in terms of finance) of our friends who got married much later. 

The risk is ofcourse being with the wrong person...looks like you chose the right mate ...but maybe a bit early...I think the single most important thing in staying together is having the same life goals...no matter how hard it gets...if both sides feel like their goals are being met than it's "worth it"...but again that's a big gamble when people, values, and goals can change.  waiting a bit and letting individuals grow and stabilize before committing to the long term is a "safer" bet.

I knew she was the right one, but I also knew I wasn't ready to get married.  Essentially an ultimatum came that it was time to **** or get off the pot.  

22 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

I knew she was the right one, but I also knew I wasn't ready to get married.  Essentially an ultimatum came that it was time to **** or get off the pot.  

yeah...to be fair women are on a much tighter timeline than men (in general).  I'd like to get  a sense of folks opinion on the current headlines that basically say there's almost zero incentive for men to commit to marriage. The divorce system is basically set up to favor the woman in most states and then there's the using your kids as leverage thing and with divorce rates going well north of 65% and almost always initiated by women... it seems almost illogical for a man (especially with a good job and comfortable living circumstances...i.e., what most single women want) to commit to marriage. 

There is zero incentive for anyone, outside of security, to commit to marriage. You either believe you are marrying the right person, or you don't. Even if you are sure, you may not be right. If you're worried about assets, there are plenty of options to protect your pre-marital assets beforehand. The custody issue is based on justice's discretion, and many of them are as old as our congressmen. They live in a different time period and have biases based on that.

Most divorces are no fault, and most states split assets equally and alimony split the same way. Most divorces are initiated by women due to the "no fault" divorce laws. It was incredibly difficult in the past to prove abuse without marks on your body. Now you can get a divorce if you're being emotionally or mentally abused as well. That accounted for the huge spike in divorces decades ago. I believe that men in the same situation try to "man up" rather than leave and admit that their spouse is abusing them in any form. 

Divorce rate is much lower than that per the last census . It's even lower when it comes to first marriages, as there is a significantly higher rate of divorce for subsequent marriages.

A better question is why would anyone choose to have kids? An incredible wealth inequality , rapid climate change, the elimination of the stay at home parent even being an option for most,  and an increasingly hostile society. Had I been paying attention better, I would have thought a lot more before having kids.

Edited by brickvoyeur

14 hours ago, Thanos75 said:

I got married for the first time almost 4 years ago. Little did we know that I would have a stoke 6 months later. If her daughter would not have been home and her office close to the house I would have died. So its very easy for me to say it was the best decision of my life. ......and she never lets me forget it.

That's a pretty hard trump card to overcome. 

W: "So, honey, I'm thinking I want to buy a new Lexus." 

H: "Geez, you just bought one a year ago and we don't have the money." 

W: "Which one of us is still breathing because of the other?"

H: "So, which model are you thinking?"

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I don’t understand all the fuss, I thought the new Indiana Jones was a great time and pretty excellent.

We live in an age of rampant complaining. I’m seeing it tomorrow, so I will form an opinion soon.

To lightly expand on this. I read a book called “Rules for Radicals” a few years back, which was formed as a more left leaning strategy. The premise when battling an institution, is that when they are declared “bad” or “evil”, anything and everything they do is now in the wrong in an absolute way. There is no possibility that someone or something you disagree with can do something good or create something you enjoy. This way of thinking is now pervasive throughout all of society.

9 minutes ago, spener90 said:

We live in an age of rampant complaining. I’m seeing it tomorrow, so I will form an opinion soon.

To lightly expand on this. I read a book called “Rules for Radicals” a few years back, which was formed as a more left leaning strategy. The premise when battling an institution, is that when they are declared “bad” or “evil”, anything and everything they do is now in the wrong in an absolute way. There is no possibility that someone or something you disagree with can do something good or create something you enjoy. This way of thinking is now pervasive throughout all of society.

I'll just say it cost 300 million to make and you can see it on the screen. The set pieces and CGI are excellent.

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

I'll just say it cost 300 million to make and you can see it on the screen. The set pieces and CGI are excellent.

Hmm. I doubt the $300 million is all there on the screen. The film had numerous reshoots and delays. Raiders cost $20 million which is only about $70 million in today’s dollars. 

1 hour ago, spener90 said:

This is unfortunately by design. Divide and conquer. In regards to modern cinema there is definitely an agenda that is put before telling a good story. I have my expectations set low for Indy 5 so I’m hoping to be pleasantly entertained when I see it with my family on Monday. 

9 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Hmm. I doubt the $300 million is all there on the screen. The film had numerous reshoots and delays. Raiders cost $20 million which is only about $70 million in today’s dollars. 

I’m curious to hear what you think when you see it. 

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Totally worth the hot humid weather, the threat of thunderstorms, and the massive lines with 60,000 people in attendance.8411395bb0e3b918a7060ff182eb7783.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Did you pay the ridiculous prices? I live about 10 minutes from the stadium, and it’s been ridiculous. We probably could have rented our house for 5 figures for the weekend.

Did you pay the ridiculous prices? I live about 10 minutes from the stadium, and it’s been ridiculous. We probably could have rented our house for 5 figures for the weekend.

I could have made well over $15k selling my 6 tickets. Thanks to years of Brickpicker training, I was able to get tickets as soon as they went live, while others struggled through the F-up the entire experience. 10:02am the tickets were in my wallet, front row in the 203 section. Great view and good for old geezers like me who dont want to stand all the time.

Parking was a mess downtown, saw $85+ for a spot close to the stadium. We parked at NKU and took the $3 TANK shuttle to the stadium. Great experience.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

My daughter was there (in stadium) last night. My wife and I drove down from columbus Friday night and experienced the madness from outside the stadium. We rode our bikes in from a couple miles out along the river. Easy in and easy out.  It was fantastic. So much fun and joy. I recommend this to anyone that is even remotely a swift fan. 

Edited by Gonkalin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

I could have made well over $15k selling my 6 tickets. Thanks to years of Brickpicker training, I was able to get tickets as soon as they went live, while others struggled through the F-up the entire experience. 10:02am the tickets were in my wallet, front row in the 203 section. Great view and good for old geezers like me who dont want to stand all the time.

Parking was a mess downtown, saw $85+ for a spot close to the stadium. We parked at NKU and took the $3 TANK shuttle to the stadium. Great experience.

I'm so jealous and that is ridiculous how much you could've gotten for your six tickets. I couldn't get past the f*ckery that was Ticketmaster the day tickets were released. I was so pissed. I really wanted to go with my 15yo daughter, but such is life. We're enjoying the clips on TikTok and Insta. haha