What did you do today?

1 hour ago, TANV said:

Yeah, I agree. The job was at first exciting for me then it turned into a slog. I was subject to constant criticism, overloaded work, and despite efforts made to improve, it was never good enough. Also, I realized that I started suffering from depression, anxiety, and dread during the last two months at the job. I was losing weight, lack of sleep, and my nerves were frayed a lot at home. At one point, I somehow cried myself to sleep one night. So, I determined it was necessary to get out.

I'd never really undergone depression before in my life until this job. Everyone has bad days and some days are blah but months of dread, anxiety, and weeks of not wanting to go to work because you hate your job? Yeah, that was a new one.

I reached out to the firm that had offered me a job and it ended up working out in the end. No regrets.

We spend a lot of time at work, life is too short to be constantly miserable. Bills have to be paid but health (physical and mental) matters too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TANV said:

Yeah, I agree. The job was at first exciting for me then it turned into a slog. I was subject to constant criticism, overloaded work, and despite efforts made to improve, it was never good enough. Also, I realized that I started suffering from depression, anxiety, and dread during the last two months at the job. I was losing weight, lack of sleep, and my nerves were frayed a lot at home. At one point, I somehow cried myself to sleep one night. So, I determined it was necessary to get out.

I'd never really undergone depression before in my life until this job. Everyone has bad days and some days are blah but months of dread, anxiety, and weeks of not wanting to go to work because you hate your job? Yeah, that was a new one.

I reached out to the firm that had offered me a job and it ended up working out in the end. No regrets.

Losing weight? I need to take that job of they're looking to replace you ;)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

Over the weekend, I stumbled onto a free Lego craigslist ad that was listed five hours ago in my area. I figured I was too late but sent a nice email anyway with my number. Got a text 15 mins later saying it was mine. It was actually two bags of Lego and I felt so lucky to have been able to snag it. I just ordered the instruction manuals for the 42100 Liebherr for $10 on bricklink. Woohoo!

IMG_7331.jpg

IMG_7340.jpg

IMG_7342.jpg

IMG_7344.jpg

This is the Steal of the Month!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

do they always have that much?

My perception is that LEGO stocks at Costco are 2-3x 'normal' levels this year, and a wider variety of sets offered.  A bit strange. 

edit: Or maybe I misunderstood the question?  LEGO is usually only seasonal. But still, this year's offerings are bigger than I remember.

Edited by SpaceFan9
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SpaceFan9 said:

My perception is that LEGO stocks at Costco are 2-3x 'normal' levels this year, and a wider variety of sets offered.  A bit strange. 

edit: Or maybe I misunderstood the question?  LEGO is usually only seasonal. But still, this year's offerings are bigger than I remember.

It was a planned increase in variety throughout the year..  I was told that was why they did not clearance after Christmas.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 9:18 AM, oneknightr said:

Over the weekend, I stumbled onto a free Lego craigslist ad that was listed five hours ago in my area. I figured I was too late but sent a nice email anyway with my number. Got a text 15 mins later saying it was mine. It was actually two bags of Lego and I felt so lucky to have been able to snag it. I just ordered the instruction manuals for the 42100 Liebherr for $10 on bricklink. Woohoo!

Crazy.  We just assume everyone knows about Lego.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gmpirate said:

Crazy.  We just assume everyone knows about Lego.

My wife is constantly giving away stuff for free just to “get it out of the garage”.  If I have the time, I’ll intervene and sale it for a fair price on Craigslist. If I’m swamped and/or it’s not worth the opportunity cost, I’ll just her do her thing. Happy wife…

I’ve come to learn that used stuff is basically worthless in the view of some people.  I would expect no different for LEGO. 

5 hours ago, TheBrickClique said:

My wife is constantly giving away stuff for free just to “get it out of the garage”.  If I have the time, I’ll intervene and sale it for a fair price on Craigslist. If I’m swamped and/or it’s not worth the opportunity cost, I’ll just her do her thing. Happy wife…

I’ve come to learn that used stuff is basically worthless in the view of some people.  I would expect no different for LEGO. 

I get that.  My wife actually just went through her closet and was telling me she was going to sell the stuff since she sees me doing it.  I told her it actually was not worth her time.  Normally that's what I tell most people who think they see dollar signs.  By the time they figure out what and how  to do things their labor factor blows it all out of the water.  Go get a minimum wage job and they will be way ahead.

• Like 1

At 7 a.m. I had a zoom call with a new reseller from the Netherlands.  It was a good call and I'm certain he'll be successful in the near future.  I then decided to go to Starbucks and order a grande black light roast coffee.  Most people don't know that the light roast coffees have the most caffeine.  Darker roasts burn off a lot of moisture and caffeine the longer it's in the roaster.  I then walked to a nearby cemetery and headed to a headstone that I frequent.  I drank my coffee and read a book by Henry Rollins, Eye Scream.  I'm a bit surprised that Rollins hasn't maintained the same presence in pop culture that he had 15 years ago.  After an hour or so I started to hear children giggling near me but I saw no children.  Even though I didn't sense any bad feelings I figured it was time to go.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

At 7 a.m. I had a zoom call with a new reseller from the Netherlands.  It was a good call and I'm certain he'll be successful in the near future.  I then decided to go to Starbucks and order a grande black light roast coffee.  Most people don't know that the light roast coffees have the most caffeine.  Darker roasts burn off a lot of moisture and caffeine the longer it's in the roaster.  I then walked to a nearby cemetery and headed to a headstone that I frequent.  I drank my coffee and read a book by Henry Rollins, Eye Scream.  I'm a bit surprised that Rollins hasn't maintained the same presence in pop culture that he had 15 years ago.  After an hour or so I started to hear children giggling near me but I saw no children.  Even though I didn't sense any bad feelings I figured it was time to go.

I think you should write a book, @LegoSteve. There's a gift in your describing what some might find otherwise uneventful. ;) I will buy a copy, but I want it signed.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

I guess the only thing I can really say about 40 is I know enough to understand how little I know about anything. 

Happy half life😉 (give or take)

I enjoy the old Confucius  quote, 'We have two lives and the second begins when we realize we only have one." 

And glad to hear you are safe. ✌️

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Jbad87 said:

I finished my gym today. We moved to a property that had a 40' x 20' outbuilding that the previous owners let go to disrepair. I started the project in April.20221006_145212.thumb.jpg.c6ff56b76b86e921c58e80ee7703eedd.jpg20221006_145258.thumb.jpg.dfc455348f4b167daa1ee8e89c1fa47f.jpg20220608_154808.thumb.jpg.8f2691a4d12794165137e391d4bcc9d9.jpg

Nice Job! I have a very similar setup, I payed to have half of my garage converted to a gym around 15 years ago. Some issues I did not anticipate was the flooring, I am on my 3 set of interlocking mats, if you decide to get them get the thicker ones and use a plywood platform for squats and deadlifts. My sub floor decreased the room height so overhead presses and pull-ups are tight and I am short. I wish I went with recessed lighting like you did. Lastly, putting 45s on the one end of the bar is tight so be careful but don’t let it deter you from using them. Not sure what your routine is but I would swap the cage with the rower, but if you have a wife that probably isn’t happening. 

18 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

It does look sharp and saves space if space is a premium. However, the cost it adds to an electrical job is astronomical.  

The quote for wiring my basement went from $4500 down to $283 without recessed lighting. 

When I jump rope it hits the nice low-profile florescent lighting so I have to go into the kitchen. But for $4K in savings I will go outside.

The thing that is so much better about his gym is that if and when he goes to sell that room can be anything. Where as with mine most people say they would rather have the garage space, but they are also girlie men. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

Nice Job! I have a very similar setup, I payed to have half of my garage converted to a gym around 15 years ago. Some issues I did not anticipate was the flooring, I am on my 3 set of interlocking mats, if you decide to get them get the thicker ones and use a plywood platform for squats and deadlifts. My sub floor decreased the room height so overhead presses and pull-ups are tight and I am short. I wish I went with recessed lighting like you did. Lastly, putting 45s on the one end of the bar is tight so be careful but don’t let it deter you from using them. Not sure what your routine is but I would swap the cage with the rower, but if you have a wife that probably isn’t happening. 

We converted the garage to a gym during Covid although it took forever for all the equipment to come in.  It was already built-out (drywalled/recessed lights) so just needed matts.  Went to Tractor Trailer and bought horse matts.  Tape the seams with black gorilla tape and it works great without the big cost of "gym" matts.  All "Rogued Out" now!  Not sure I could jump rope either since I'm 6'3" 🙃

Please excuse the mess as I'm building out a new network cabinet . . .

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpeg

IMG_9857.jpeg

• Like 2