What did you do today?

On 8/15/2020 at 11:09 AM, exracer327 said:

Yeah, the Krag is the predecessor to the Springfield 30-06 (1906) which became the standard for the US WWII rifle the M1 Garand.  Here is a reference to read the serial number: https://gun-data.com/krag_rifles_carbines.html

The ammo for my Mosin Nagat is also expensive.  There are very few weapons which use the same rounds (7.62x54R).  AK-47 uses 7.62x39 and are much less expensive.  And depending on the manufacturer, the casings might be steal (Russian surplus) instead of brass (USA mfg).

The serial number on mine starts with 235.  So is that an 1899 or 1900?

19 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

The serial number on mine starts with 235.  So is that an 1899 or 1900?

The chart says the beginning serial number and how many of that model were made.  So if your serial number is a six-digit number and begins with 235 then it was produced in 1899 and it is a Model 1898.

• 5 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

At Grand Teton National Park,  I hiked 17 miles round trip through Cascade Canyon to Lake Solitude. It's at 9035 feet elevation and the water is melted glaciers. So I jumped in and swam to the island. In the picture, my wet footprints are on the rocks - nobody nearby to take a photo of me. 

That's beautiful and awesome.  Minus the 17 mile hike anyway 😐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rpaulson7 said:

At Grand Teton National Park,  I hiked 17 miles round trip through Cascade Canyon to Lake Solitude. It's at 9035 feet elevation and the water is melted glaciers. So I jumped in and swam to the island. In the picture, my wet footprints are on the rocks - nobody nearby to take a photo of me. 20200916_113221.thumb.jpg.9beb732966415b79466e0b76dfa31f46.jpg

To me, Grand Teton is better than Yellowstone by a long shot if you actually get off the road and into the backcountry.

14 minutes ago, Brystheguy said:

To me, Grand Teton is better than Yellowstone by a long shot if you actually get off the road and into the backcountry.

Dude, I'm on a solo road trip for 8 nights (shoutout to the wife staying home with the kids).  I was going to do 5 nights in Yellowstone, but people on TripAdvisor convinced  me to get to Grand Teton for a few nights. After a lot of research, I ended up going with 2 nights YNP and 3 nights GTNP.

You are SPOT ON. I thought Yellowstone was pretty cool last summer, but Grand Teton is so much better for a hiker.  I did Delta Lake yesterday - amazing. Lake Solitude today - even better. Tomorrow is Holly Lake and I'll get over 10,000 feet - and another swim. 

For a flatlander from Minnesota, this is amazing.  

Edited by rpaulson7
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KvHulk said:

Ok, not today.... yesterday.... But I watched the sorcerer's stone & chamber of secrets for the first time...

Is it wrong my favorite people are that myrtle bathroom girl and alan rickman?

Funny enough, my girlfriend and I watched these over the weekend for a fall "lazy" few days.

And the thing that really brings the movies/books together is that they have a really strong supporting set of characters.

Argued with Airbnb about cancelling a reservation because hurricane Sally hit the region of Florida we had our reservation.

My position: here’s documentation from FEMA, an executive order from the governor declaring a state of emergency, and evacuation orders from the county emergency management office that shows when the hurricane hit in the area.

Their response: hi, our internal weather report shows no hurricane in the area at the time of your reservation therefore we cannot offer you a refund.

5 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Argued with Airbnb about cancelling a reservation because hurricane Sally hit the region of Florida we had our reservation.

My position: here’s documentation from FEMA, an executive order from the governor declaring a state of emergency, and evacuation orders from the county emergency management office that shows when the hurricane hit in the area.

Their response: hi, our internal weather report shows no hurricane in the area at the time of your reservation therefore we cannot offer you a refund.

Airbnb used to have a great service department...but now that it's just one live person and some bots...not so good.

5 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

*facepalm*

• Confused 1

Speaking of Airbnb, we're spending the rest of the week and weekend in Mariposa, a town near Yosemite. We don't want to fly anywhere so this is our "vacation". We'll be spending the day at Yosemite on Saturday. I haven't been there in 20+ years and our kids have never been there. Can't wait.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

Speaking of Airbnb, we're spending the rest of the week and weekend in Mariposa, a town near Yosemite. We don't want to fly anywhere so this is our "vacation". We'll be spending the day at Yosemite on Saturday. I haven't been there in 20+ years and our kids have never been there. Can't wait.

Yosemite is our favorite place in CA. Wife and I did all the major hikes when we were in our 30s....during SIP we got a last minute Park reservation and got to experience Vernal falls without hardly anyone else around (unheard of outside of winter)

FYI, purple air is showing unhealthy air quality currently in the greater Yosemite area...should have  a plan B for inside activities in the area.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Mild progress in the claim with Airbnb. They are finally acknowledging that a hurricane did in fact hit the area, but now saying since we cancelled BEFORE it hit INSTEAD of going to the area and waiting for it to ARRIVE they cannot offer us a refund.

giphy.gif

• Confused 1

Mild progress in the claim with Airbnb. They are finally acknowledging that a hurricane did in fact hit the area, but now saying since we cancelled BEFORE it hit INSTEAD of going to the area and waiting for it to ARRIVE they cannot offer us a refund.
 giphy.gif

What f*ckers

Did those evac orders go out before or after you cancelled?

Sally was a weird storm. It slowed down after it crossed the tip of Florida and sort of stalled in the gulf for nearly two days. We canceled on the 12th and the emergency order was issued on the 14th.

It sucks. $1200 bucks down the drain but a lesson learned about never booking without trip insurance and trusting a corporation.

FYI, to all those that use Airbnb, they’re phasing our most trip protections because of Covid, hurricanes, and wildfires. New policy goes into effect 1/2021 but I get the feeling they’re using it now.

https://www.phocuswire.com/airbnb-new-cancellation-policy-january-2021

29 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Sally was a weird storm. It slowed down after it crossed the tip of Florida and sort of stalled in the gulf for nearly two days. We canceled on the 12th and the emergency order was issued on the 14th.

It sucks. $1200 bucks down the drain but a lesson learned about never booking without trip insurance and trusting a corporation.

FYI, to all those that use Airbnb, they’re phasing our most trip protections because of Covid, hurricanes, and wildfires. New policy goes into effect 1/2021 but I get the feeling they’re using it now.

https://www.phocuswire.com/airbnb-new-cancellation-policy-january-2021

the next option is to chargeback through your credit card company.  I would totally do this.  AirBNB does not have a reasonable defense...and most CC are looking out for their members.  If you want to give Airbnb 1 more chance.. you can first threaten Airbnb with a credit card chargeback of which they know they will likely lose and take a hit against their merchant services...you can negotiate a credit (for a future trip) so Airbnb does not lose the money nor have to use resources fighting Visa.

Just NEVER ever initiate a chargeback and then cancel it on your end (no matter what Airbnb promises).

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 2

I actually spent around two hours today researching this and it’s really dicey. Reading on the forums from users who attempted it and it looks like Airbnb rewards such behavior with a lifetime ban. Since they use your ID and social security # it isn’t like you have options to open another account.

It’s a bridge that burns and burns permanently.

A good number of people who tried a charge back with their CC reported success, initially. They got there money back but then two or three months later their CC recharged them. The current thinking on the forums is that Airbnb provides something to CC companies that invalidates the chargeback.

Really the final option is small claims court and arguing that force majeure releases me from contractual obligations with Airbnb, but that’s a nightmare amount of work and time for $1200 which I’d probably lose.

1 hour ago, Mark Twain said:

I actually spent around two hours today researching this and it’s really dicey. Reading on the forums from users who attempted it and it looks like Airbnb rewards such behavior with a lifetime ban. Since they use your ID and social security # it isn’t like you have options to open another account.

It’s a bridge that burns and burns permanently.

A good number of people who tried a charge back with their CC reported success, initially. They got there money back but then two or three months later their CC recharged them. The current thinking on the forums is that Airbnb provides something to CC companies that invalidates the chargeback.

Really the final option is small claims court and arguing that force majeure releases me from contractual obligations with Airbnb, but that’s a nightmare amount of work and time for $1200 which I’d probably lose.

I also look at this situation as a terrible business practice.

I'm largely unfamiliar with Airbnb and have never used them. But my parents rent out some houses via VRBO and when the pandemic happened they gave everyone the proper refunds. It also worked out later, as a bunch of them booked the house over the summer, making up for a certain amount of lost revenue.

I just don't think if I was running a business like that and wasn't able to fulfill the rental for one reason or another that I would feel justified in not refunding the renter.

• Like 1