What did you do today?

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

I've been dealing with the fallout of Solarwinds Orion Supply Chain Attack for over a week.  Lots of late hours and constant work over the weekend.

I was mostly oblivious to the attack until now.

It's baffling to me that Solarwinds got hacked, had code elevated to release and no one noticed. We have code line analysis and jar analysis that is run before going to a QA environment. Then the build and deploy to production blocks your push if a single character was modified up to 2 weeks before production. We have to get director approval if even a small property file change needs to be made at that time. I work for a non-tech based company.

I'm guessing we are going to start seeing more aggressive security scrutiny on third party software at a corporate level anyway.

With a security breach this bad I can't imagine how difficult it is to clean up. How do you trace all the possible locations they can embed new backdoors, understand the data that was compromised, or servers that may be impacted. All it takes is access to a random employee's computer to gain access to the network again :( Best of luck @exciter1

Edited by landphieran
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, landphieran said:

How do you trace all the possible locations they can embed new backdoors, understand the data that was compromised, or servers that may be impacted.

If it involved backdoors, then I can sleep soundly since @exciter1 is the BP subject matter expert in that area. 😂

• Haha 1

Check out the Great Conjunction if you're able to…very cool celestial event. Jupiter and Saturn haven't been this close since 1620, during Galileo's lifetime. That said, they're still over 450 million miles apart. Whoa!
http://bp-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_12/IMG_6040.thumb.jpeg.1077660d1d0942da685a91fb498a8e05.jpeg

My current view...

b8fff3b4027b1521d1b90554952a1da3.jpg
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

My current view...

I take it you're on the West Coast? Best view for us here in the Midwest was right after sunset…south/southwest sky, about 45 degrees up from the horizon. I was able to snap the photo I posted right through the viewfinder of my son's telescope. Don't wait too long to catch a good view…the actual conjunction occurred at mid-day, so the planets are both sinking quickly after sunset. You probably have two hours or so before they're out of sight. Happy stargazing!

• Like 1

I take it you're on the West Coast? Best view for us here in the Midwest was right after sunset…south/southwest sky, about 45 degrees up from the horizon. I was able to snap the photo I posted right through the viewfinder of my son's telescope. Don't wait too long to catch a good view…the actual conjunction occurred at mid-day, so the planets are both sinking quickly after sunset. You probably have two hours or so before they're out of sight. Happy stargazing!

West Coast, yes. I was able to sneak a peek a fear minutes ago. Here’s my latest view:

9a460a93cecd2910a6b2145c8ee4de90.jpg

We’ve been watching the approach the last few weeks. Very cool site! No telescopes at my house tho.
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

We’ve been watching the approach the last few weeks. Very cool site! No telescopes at my house tho.

I'm a huge space nerd, so this was pretty damn awesome to experience. Gotta say that the 2017 eclipse was probably the coolest though…we were dead center in the path of totality right outside of Kansas City. No telescope needed!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lego Lass said:

I'm a huge space nerd, so this was pretty damn awesome to experience. Gotta say that the 2017 eclipse was probably the coolest though…we were dead center in the path of totality right outside of Kansas City. No telescope needed!

This is still my favorite video posted from the eclipse.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lego Lass said:

Ha, me too... we drove from center of KC to Carrollton MO... it was more than 2 minutes of the strangest daytime-nighttime I have ever experienced. 

18 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

Ha, me too... we drove from center of KC to Carrollton MO... it was more than 2 minutes of the strangest daytime-nighttime I have ever experienced. 

Crickets chirping, frogs croaking nearby, dusk to dawn lights flickering on…all in the middle of the day. Quite surreal indeed! 

26 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

This is still my favorite video posted from the eclipse.

Moonstock! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought our first car this week. I've never bought a car before.

Monday: Went to dealership and test drove. Negotiated the price and put down payment. Also, requested updated insurance plus auto insurance for the first time.

Tuesday: Re-worked the purchase and sales agreement back and forth. Sent dealer additional ID info. Send final draft to the bank for loan approval. Got insurance policy for car.

Wednesday: Review and signed the loan agreements and sent to bank.

Thursday: Bank review loan agreements and approves the loan, sending out full payment to dealership via overnight.

Today: Dealer receives the check from the bank. PROFIT????

I still need to get insurance cards to the dealer though but I'm at the finish line now...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TANV said:

Monday: Went to dealership and test drove. Negotiated the price and put down payment. Also, requested updated insurance plus auto insurance for the first time.

Tuesday: Re-worked the purchase and sales agreement back and forth. Sent dealer additional ID info. Send final draft to the bank for loan approval. Got insurance policy for car.

Thursday: Bank review loan agreements and approves the loan, sending out full payment to dealership via overnight.

I still need to get insurance cards to the dealer though but I'm at the finish line now...

What kind of car?

7 minutes ago, TANV said:

That's a bunch of work, I usually get all of that done in the same day.  We bought our last vehicle in late March.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Achilles said:

The car shopping/buying experience is one of the most miserable things to do on this planet as an adult.

I have purchased two cars. I have come out of both experiences hating myself more than the regular level of self-loathing I exhibit. Maybe the third time will be the charm for not feeling like an idiot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TANV said:

5 hours ago, TANV said:

A USED 2020 Hyundai Tucson AWD. Has less than 6.5K Miles on it. The previous Owner was the Dealership since it was a Loaner car! Drives pretty darn smooth.

5 hours ago, exciter1 said:

That's a bunch of work, I usually get all of that done in the same day.  We bought our last vehicle in late March.

Basically means the dealership just wanted to get rid of that car :D

2 hours ago, TANV said:

I also bought a car this week, but less steps because I already had insurance and already was approved for a loan from my bank (though I definitely waited till the day the approval ended to buy). Got a Ford C-Max Energi. Accepted their price as it really was a good price for a car with 15k miles, brought my own financing from Bank of America. Only test drove the one car, was a little annoyed that the dealer still wanted to try to upsell me on coatings and protection on a 2016 model and the buying process still took about 2 hours. The best was when he was trying to convince us to get this protection for the leather and was like, what if X happens and the seat is stained? And I replied, if that happened, my wife (sitting right there) would say, I TOLD you I didn't want leather seats!

Really seemed like a lot of the prep could have been done ahead of time like I asked for, as the actual signing only took a few minutes. My four year old was a trooper through it though - so she got a happy meal and to open another Christmas gift.

7 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

I also bought a car this week, but less steps because I already had insurance and already was approved for a loan from my bank (though I definitely waited till the day the approval ended to buy). Got a Ford C-Max Energi. Accepted their price as it really was a good price for a car with 15k miles, brought my own financing from Bank of America. Only test drove the one car, was a little annoyed that the dealer still wanted to try to upsell me on coatings and protection on a 2016 model and the buying process still took about 2 hours. The best was when he was trying to convince us to get this protection for the leather and was like, what if X happens and the seat is stained? And I replied, if that happened, my wife (sitting right there) would say, I TOLD you I didn't want leather seats!

Really seemed like a lot of the prep could have been done ahead of time like I asked for, as the actual signing only took a few minutes. My four year old was a trooper through it though - so she got a happy meal and to open another Christmas gift.

yup this is my typical experience buying new or used cars going back 20 years...a 2 to 4 hour (depending on how annoying the salesman wants/needs to be) affair; always same day. 

I know the "coating" is almost always upsell snake oil; but I did get the Simonizing for a new 2002 car back in Ohio and dammit that clearcoat lasted until I "totaled" the car 17 years later and got so many compliments on how good the paint looked; NEVER waxed it (it was a suby w/ clear history of thin/crappy paint).  

20 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

I have purchased two cars. I have come out of both experiences hating myself more than the regular level of self-loathing I exhibit. Maybe the third time will be the charm for not feeling like an idiot. 

Got any tips you learned to help out a person who is going to buy a car soon?