What did you do today?

Found some water under my sink last night.  Thought it might be the faucet, as it was giving me trouble a few weeks ago.  Nope, not it.  So I get under there, and have the wife help me out.  Have her turn on the garbage disposal, and there's an explosion of water from it!  Turns out the disposal had a huge crack in it.
I've never installed a garbage disposal before today.  It's been quite an adventure.  In reality, it's very easy to do.  However, I of course had to make it difficult.  I stopped at Costco this afternoon and picked up a nice one at a good price.  Got it home, measured it, and discovered - oh no! - it's way to big.  So I had to run out to Lowe's to find a similar model to the one I already had (it had a good 20 year run).  Then took my time reading the directions multiple times to make sure I wouldn't blow the place up.  Finally installed, and running smoothly.
That's a lot of corona-interaction possibilities there... Just to throw out the trash :-)

That's a lot of corona-interaction possibilities there... Just to throw out the trash :-)

Yeah I know. I wasn’t thrilled in the least! But I needed to do it. Water was leaking out when we were using that side of the sink, so had to be done.

I waited until the afternoon to head out tho. It was dead out there. No lines at either store, hardly anyone there.

Nice job!  A garbage disposal is surprisingly easy, if you're flexible enough to get under the sink.  Ours went out a few months ago, and from "we need a new one" to "job done" it was under 2 hours including going to the store. 

And, about a week later one of the kids turned it on with a spoon in there.  Awesome.

• Like 1

Nice job!  A garbage disposal is surprisingly easy, if you're flexible enough to get under the sink.  Ours went out a few months ago, and from "we need a new one" to "job done" it was under 2 hours including going to the store. 
And, about a week later one of the kids turned it on with a spoon in there.  Awesome.

I was being deliberately methodical, since this was the first time. I feel like I could knock it out in 20 minutes next time. I was surprised at how easy (and inexpensive) it was to deal with.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made a decently playable kids game this morning with my daughter and wife. You roll to get the snowballs and the buttons, arms, scarf, nose and hat. I quickly chopped some dice with a chop saw when I realized what a pain it was going to be to glue/tape the paper dice together. Pretty good for a few hours!

A.thumb.jpg.feb1b68022e8a304ae53acb346cb1b06.jpgB.thumb.jpg.a70eb1d508ee38b79613075fb86f9e9d.jpg

C.thumb.jpg.827d61e7e42b592d3d96429d653b5786.jpgD.thumb.jpg.ba53771cc854f5b45bf1cf638d252966.jpgE.thumb.jpg.1fd9b50499f12c694d9e4cff49c53f7c.jpg

• Like 7

Honestly, I thought all three of the builds were pretty cool, and any one of them could have deservedly been named the best... But having watched the entire season it was very easy to know the exact order the judges would put them in. I think overall body of work over the course of the season played a major role in the determination of the winners.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Phil B said:

So here is what I have been working on this quarantine.

Before:

After:

Needs a bit of trim and some paint. Everything is easily removable so it can switch back to being a clothes closet. Stores the same amount of LEGO as before. Not visible are the left and right alcoves (about 2ftx2ft each) that contain more boxes and storage. Can't wait to start using it!

That looks great! I can't wait until the update when that naturally evolves into taking over the rest of the room.

2 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

That looks great! I can't wait until the update when that naturally evolves into taking over the rest of the room.

It used to take over the entire room. Not pictured are my BrickLink store and my current projects scattered across the floor. With this closet, I can return the room back to being a proper study (ok, the BL store still needs to find another home). Since that makes the wife happy, I'm happy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Wife wanted a home office and the only option was our garden shed out back. Took about three weeks. Had to install three new larger windows, new subfloor, reframed the door and installed a new one, trenched and buried electrical 75ft, new 20 amp breaker in the panel wired, vapor barrier, insulation, wood tongue and groove pine, installed a screen door. Likely do plywood planks for the floor tomorrow. All told about $1000 w a small window A/C unit. It’s only about 70 sqft so not much of a chance for multi use space. It was her Mother’s Day/ birthday gift. She keeps calling it our Covid Cabin.

Sounds like a lot of work...I would have moved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saturday, I read an article on how baseball cards from the 80s and 90s are worth virtually nothing.  Sunday I investigated my cards and found that to be mostly true.  I also listed a few items that showed some promise, and in the last 24 hours I've sold 3 lots on eBay, for a total of $29.39.

Not bad for holding on to two large, heavy boxes of cards for 30 years.  The rest of it is destined for the recycling bin.  I could list some stuff for <$1.00, but it's not worth the effort.

On the plus side, my daughters enjoyed the stack of Garbage Pail Kids that I found.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

Saturday, I read an article on how baseball cards from the 80s and 90s are worth virtually nothing.  Sunday I investigated my cards and found that to be mostly true.  I also listed a few items that showed some promise, and in the last 24 hours I've sold 3 lots on eBay, for a total of $29.39.

Not bad for holding on to two large, heavy boxes of cards for 30 years.  The rest of it is destined for the recycling bin.  I could list some stuff for <$1.00, but it's not worth the effort.

On the plus side, my daughters enjoyed the stack of Garbage Pail Kids that I found.

You should check the price on some of the GPK cards. 

• Like 1

I bought a used Santa's Workshop this past December and finally made sure all the pieces were there.  They were only about 5 missing pieces that I ordered on BrickLink along with other pieces I needed for personal use.  I already have this set for myself as part of my winter village scene and this is the second one I have found, one new and this one used, both for a combined $90.

It was not a nightmare to count before Christmas..

IMG_20200503_110455830.thumb.jpg.2d0b0593348e7d10b338200dceef2f77.jpg

IMG_20200503_133842601.thumb.jpg.6bdf4218c79dab869456c0e33feabaaa.jpg

Edited by LegoWalker4
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spent the morning watching this glorious film

Backstroke of the West is a bootlegged version of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith that contains hilariously poor Chinese-to-English translated subtitles. This bootleg is most well-known for the line "Do not want," a mistranslation of Darth Vader's widely parodied "Noooooo!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pretty in-depth spreadsheet tracking costs (annual & quarterly), income, resell sets, personal minifigs & sets... basically the works.

Well, I showed this off to the girlfriend and she said "Nice, but where's the annual budget element?", to which I responded "eh, I set that in my head and I am usually on target".... 

Long story short, she made me build a new page and set an annual budget for lego. I devoted 85% of it to resell & 15% to personal. I built the formulas, ran the numbers... and..... I am very close to being out of budget in July....

...ouch. Oh well, it was needed.

• Like 4

I have a pretty in-depth spreadsheet tracking costs (annual & quarterly), income, resell sets, personal minifigs & sets... basically the works.
Well, I showed this off to the girlfriend and she said "Nice, but where's the annual budget element?", to which I responded "eh, I set that in my head and I am usually on target".... 
Long story short, she made me build a new page and set an annual budget for lego. I devoted 85% of it to resell & 15% to personal. I built the formulas, ran the numbers... and..... I am very close to being out of budget in July....
...ouch. Oh well, it was needed.

I learned that lesson too.
Don’t show the wife... she won’t appreciate it, yet some how she’ll figure away to make it “better” which will just take away another x number of hours from my life.
  • Like 2