What did you do today?

Wow even Charlotte is panicking? Here in Raleigh it's full on bedlam. Grocery stores are cleared out & long lines at gas stations. I guess people remember Hurricanes Hugo and Fran. 

I stocked up, ready to hunker down. Wife & I can get caught up on some movies & season 2 of GLOW. Hopefully flooding is not bad. 

Best wishes to my neighbors in North and South Carolina. Stay safe this weekend. 

• Like 6

Guest TabbyBoy
35 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Wow even Charlotte is panicking? Here in Raleigh it's full on bedlam. Grocery stores are cleared out & long lines at gas stations. I guess people remember Hurricanes Hugo and Fran. 

I stocked up, ready to hunker down. Wife & I can get caught up on some movies & season 2 of GLOW. Hopefully flooding is not bad. 

Best wishes to my neighbors in North and South Carolina. Stay safe this weekend. 

I've just been in touch with my buddies in Fort Mill and Charleston in SC and they seem a lot more nervous this time around. Fingers crossed that Florence blows herself out before landfall. I've been through typhoons when I lived in Hong Kong, scary stuff!

Hoping y'all be OK.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
9 hours ago, Stud-Flipper said:

One of my female friends my age (early 20's) tells me that she's been secretly dating an older guy for some months now and hasn't told anyone because it's embarrassing, so I ask how old is he. I'm thinking maybe late thirties? Forties or something just completely crazy like 50? 

He's 67.

A lot to inherit?

Some days, like today, I feel my pinky toe. And I get this weird sense of loss like noticing an empty space in a crayon box, and I feel like there's supposed to be a 6th, even smaller toe, and it's missing. 

Also, I decided I'm going to be Santa Claus for Halloween and ordered this mask.

Edited by Stud-Flipper
  • Like 1

I don't know if I have a house anymore.

I live in Panama City and evacuated yesterday for Hurricane Michael to my parents house several hours away. We know a number of people who stayed whose houses were completely destroyed. My sister's house (who also evacuated) luckily we just found out survived with minor damage. Were worried about our cats but they stayed there so they should be fine whenever we head back. No update on my house yet. But there were some buildings just a few minutes away completely obliterated, nothing left behind but wood and rubble. A 7 story bank just down the road had every window blown out of it. A middle school completely demolished. A church we were in just a couple weeks ago just gone. The kmart a few minutes away had a 100 foot chunk of wall ripped off. My sister's neighbor had a tree fall on her house and all their vehicles outside demolished. But luckily nobody was hurt. The Walmart about 20 miles closer to the water flooded up to the tops of the doors, all you could see was the bottom of the WAL-MART sign in pictures.

Edited by Stud-Flipper
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Stud-Flipper said:

I don't know if I have a house anymore.

I live in Panama City and evacuated yesterday for Hurricane Michael to my parents house several hours away. We know a number of people who stayed whose houses were completely destroyed. My sister's house (who also evacuated) luckily we just found out survived with minor damage. Were worried about our cats but they stayed there so they should be fine whenever we head back. No update on my house yet. But there were some buildings just a few minutes away completely obliterated, nothing left behind but wood and rubble. A 7 story bank just down the road had every window blown out of it. A middle school completely demolished. A church we were in just a couple weeks ago just gone. The kmart a few minutes away had a 100 foot chunk of wall ripped off. My sister's neighbor had a tree fall on her house and all their vehicles outside demolished. But luckily nobody was hurt. The Walmart about 20 miles closer to the water flooded up to the tops of the doors, all you could see was the bottom of the WAL-MART sign in pictures.

Good luck and stay safe

Still don't know about my house/area, but the gossip is that it was absolutely decimated. From one of her neighbors, somehow my sister's house survived with virtually no damage but 90% of the houses on her street were almost completely destroyed. Roofs ripped off, trees falling on. Literally every tree in her neighborhood was ripped out of the ground. Her kids school was leveled to rubble.

The power and water might not be back on for a month. It's literally like Katrina levels in some places. Reports of chaos, people looting stores. Breaking into houses. Alot of poor, street people in the area. Neighbors said to bring self defense if anyone goes back. Hundreds of reports of people still trapped in their houses or relatives missing. My brother in law who is a firefighter spent the whole day just clearing roads with chainsaws, trees everywhere, before they've even been able to save anyone. It's crazy, videos are out of people driving around today after the storm, and like everything is gone. Gas stations completely collapsed. Every other store is caved in on itself. Debris and garbage everywhere. It literally looks like a dump. And from the neighbors that stayed, it's even worse in person. It looks like a disaster movie. A giant billboard with like a 6ft thick pole fell on a Waffle House. Power lines down everywhere.

And it's like everywhere. Every street is the same. Even the hospitals people had to evacuate. The windows were all blown out. The roof of a government building was on my sister's road. TRAINS were literally knocked over. 20 ton train cars knocked off the track for miles like a kid playing with Hot Wheels. A full size display jet at a veterans park knocked upside down. Hundreds of boats all in a rubbly pile broken up at the beach docks. And I'm just seeing from pictures/videos, have no idea how bad it'll be whenever I get to go back. 

Mexico Beach about 20 minutes away is even worse. From drone videos, entire neighborhoods were wiped out.

Hundreds still missing.

Edited by Stud-Flipper
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, Stud-Flipper said:

Still don't know about my house/area, but the gossip is that it was absolutely decimated. From one of her neighbors, somehow my sister's house survived with virtually no damage but 90% of the houses on her street were almost completely destroyed. Roofs ripped off, trees falling on. Literally every tree in her neighborhood was ripped out of the ground. Her kids school was leveled to rubble.

The power and water might not be back on for a month. It's literally like Katrina levels in some places. Reports of chaos, people looting stores. Breaking into houses. Alot of poor, street people in the area. Neighbors said to bring self defense if anyone goes back. Hundreds of reports of people still trapped in their houses or relatives missing. My brother in law who is a firefighter spent the whole day just clearing roads with chainsaws, trees everywhere, before they've even been able to save anyone. It's crazy, videos are out of people driving around today after the storm, and like everything is gone. Gas stations completely collapsed. Every other store is caved in on itself. Debris and garbage everywhere. It literally looks like a dump. And from the neighbors that stayed, it's even worse in person. It looks like a disaster movie. A giant billboard with like a 6ft thick pole fell on a Waffle House. Power lines down everywhere.

And it's like everywhere. Every street is the same. Even the hospitals people had to evacuate. The windows were all blown out. The roof of a government building was on my sister's road. TRAINS were literally knocked over. 20 ton train cars knocked off the track for miles like a kid playing with Hot Wheels. A full size display jet at a veterans park knocked upside down. Hundreds of boats all in a rubbly pile broken up at the beach docks. And I'm just seeing from pictures/videos, have no idea how bad it'll be whenever I get to go back. 

Mexico Beach about 20 minutes away is even worse. From drone videos, entire neighborhoods were wiped out.

Hundreds still missing.

I can't begin to imagine what you're going through, while I've had many storms hit near my home in the time that I've lived in South Carolina and some we rode out, some we evacuated we have always thus far been fortunate to not sustain a direct hit from anything close to what hit the PCB area yesterday. For what it's worth you and your family are safe and that's all that truly matters. 

Edited by Migration

So I found out my apartment survived with minimal damage luckily. But it could be up to 2 months or more before the electricity and water is back, before I can move back. The whole grid /infrastructure is gone. The people that do have water there have to boil it since it could be contaminated. Gas leaks have been reported. My firefighter brother in law is working full time. Like FULL TIME 24/7 on call, literally living at his fire station, since it's one of the few places in the area with electricity. They don't have water to shower, so you literally got like 30 guys in close quarters, on bunk beds, working like 12 hours a day just chainsawing trees off the roads, and wiping off as best they can with wet wipes. Eventually he'll  move into working 24 hours on/24 hours off. But with the electricity out, I guess he'll pretty much be living at his station for a little while. It's crazy. My landlord who stayed had his roof ripped off as he and one of his tenants that stayed layed in a bathtub under a mattress, but luckily they survived. Most of the cell towers are all out, so they can only use certain brands of prepaid phones. I can't even imagine how long it'll be before the area is actually livable. You can look online and see aerial views of everything and entire forests were knocked over, hundreds of thousands probably of 100 ft tall pine trees and downed power lines everywhere. Pretty much all the stores/gas stations/restaurants/schools/churches are seriously damaged if not rubble.  The only really intact are the really big ones, Wal-Mart, Target, Sam's Club, and such. And even then, they often had large sections of roof partially ripped off. If I had to guess maybe a third of the houses seriously damaged or gone.

So looks like I'll probably be living at my parents for a couple months. They're going in tomorrow in my dad's truck to retrieve what they can from our houses and come back with our cats. It was a surprise. Everyone's in shock. Usually it's only like a category 2 or 3 and even then they usually weaken significantly before they make landfall. And this was essentially a category 5. It was like the third or fourth strongest on record by pressure/wind speeds and whathaveyou. Anyone in Florida knows you'll get a few each year routinely and 95% of the time it's basically just a big thunderstorm, strong winds and rain. I remember thinking it was ridiculous and a waste of gas, overkill for my sister to insist we leave, knowing we'd get back and have a few palm branches in the yard and all these extra cases of water for nothing. Because that's usually what happens. And when you do get a bad one, it's usually off in Cuba or Costa Rica or somewhere and it's hard to relate to just pictures. And when it's closer to your area, odds are you'll just get the edge of it. But everything came together like it does every 15 years or so with an Andrew or a Katrina, and it's a direct hit, it's a strong 4/5, it doesn't weaken. It's alot to take in. Just the weekend before we stopped at some yard sales, and a Goodwill, hunting for Halloween costumes, and stopped and got donuts at a local place.  That exact Goodwill and donut place basically don't exist now a week later. They look like they went through one of those garbage compactors at the dump. And that's not the exception, that's the norm. 

• Sad 2

Sorry...There isn't much I can say to make you feel better.   But you are here on this site and just realize people are praying for you.  This is an awful story and one most people aren't even talking about it unfortunately.  Nobody expected this to be a big storm.  It intensified so rapidly.  Barely a hurricane one day, then almost a category 5 a few days later.  Most people were not prepared.  Even the news was like ho-hum.  They were too busy talking about BS.  The weather this year has been so humid and warm that these storms are not weakening.  The other day in NJ, it was almost 85 degrees with almost 80% humidity.  It was awful.  We got hit with Sandy a few years ago at the end of October.  Crazy sh*t.  End of October.  

We are supposed to drive down to Florida in a month.  I hope there are roads to drive on...

3 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Sorry...There isn't much I can say to make you feel better.   But you are here on this site and just realize people are praying for you.  This is an awful story and one most people aren't even talking about it unfortunately.  Nobody expected this to be a big storm.  It intensified so rapidly.  Barely a hurricane one day, then almost a category 5 a few days later.  Most people were not prepared.  Even the news was like ho-hum.  They were too busy talking about BS.  The weather this year has been so humid and warm that these storms are not weakening.  The other day in NJ, it was almost 85 degrees with almost 80% humidity.  It was awful.  We got hit with Sandy a few years ago at the end of October.  Crazy sh*t.  End of October.  

We are supposed to drive down to Florida in a month.  I hope there are roads to drive on...

I only had a couple sets but I can only imagine one of you guys with warehouses full and then the whole building collapses. I assume you big timers have insurance on everything?

13 hours ago, Stud-Flipper said:

I only had a couple sets but I can only imagine one of you guys with warehouses full and then the whole building collapses. I assume you big timers have insurance on everything?

Yes.  The collector's insurance I use is...

https://collectinsure.com/

It's about $800.00 a year for $300,000.00 in coverage.  

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
18 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Yes.  The collector's insurance I use is...

https://collectinsure.com/

It's about $800.00 a year for $300,000.00 in coverage.  

I can't stress enough how important insurance is as I bet over 90% of you aren't covered properly. In the UK... you'll need to check your deeds if you can run a business from home as any loss adjuster will find it hard to believe that high multiples of a set is for personal use. All you need is a fire or a few loose roof tiles during a storm and you lose it all. This is why I no longer keep any stock at home, it's in a secure warehouse with full cover. I also update my insurance company with a new manifest ever time stock levels change.