What did you do today?

Watched several episodes of Engineering Disasters that were about this type of situation exactly...  Ammonium nitrate being left for years at ports... Being stored next to fireworks or some other such combustible. It's more common than you think...

10 hours ago, KvHulk said:

Watched several episodes of Engineering Disasters that were about this type of situation exactly...  Ammonium nitrate being left for years at ports... Being stored next to fireworks or some other such combustible. It's more common than you think...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ammonium_nitrate_disasters 

A list of other ammonium nitrate-related disasters. There are more than you think.

It took all of July, but I finally finished sorting out all of my brothers and my own vintage bricks. Now I begin the process of slowly reassembling all of the sets. Yellowed white bricks galore, peeling stickers and STAMP everywhere. Would really love to have updated stickers that solved this issue, especially for sets like 6350 (Pizzeria) and 6335 (Indy Car Transport). But the worst, 8143 (Ferrari F430 Challenge) You cannot even disassemble this car with out destroying the stickers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

It took all of July, but I finally finished sorting out all of my brothers and my own vintage bricks. Now I begin the process of slowly reassembling all of the sets. Yellowed white bricks galore, peeling stickers and STAMP everywhere. Would really love to have updated stickers that solved this issue, especially for sets like 6350 (Pizzeria) and 6335 (Indy Car Transport). But the worst, 8143 (Ferrari F430 Challenge) You cannot even disassemble this car with out destroying the stickers.

It sounded like you were getting back to the fun part until you mentioned all of the stickers... lol

2 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

UGH. I've always held that the stickers over multiple bricks and plates method should only be found in Mega Bloks sets. That's the main reason I haven't built 10241 Maersk Line Triple-E yet. I guess I could just not apply them, but then not having all those cool, branded containers is just unthinkable. :smile:

9 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

UGH. I've always held that the stickers over multiple bricks and plates method should only be found in Mega Bloks sets. That's the main reason I haven't built 10241 Maersk Line Triple-E yet. I guess I could just not apply them, but then not having all those cool, branded containers is just unthinkable. :smile:

Then why not just buy a spare sticker sheet:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=10241stk02#T=S&C=0&O={"color":0,"st":"4","ss":"UK","cond":"N","rpp":"500","iconly":0}

Solved!

11 minutes ago, thebrickdad said:

I just feel dirty putting stickers over more than one piece (almost didn't get the set because of this, but couldn't resist such a ship). I think I'll swap out the two plates and one tile containers on top with 2x4 bricks. Also thinking about getting custom stickers from brickstickershop to mix up the container selection.

• Like 1

Went to Palm Springs this week for the last week of summer vacation. Decided to check out Downtown Disney since my wife wanted to buy art from her favorite Disney artist. The Lego store was limiting the number of people inside the store to ten, and we had to put our name and phone number on a waitlist to get in (text when ready). It was an hour and a half wait, but it was fine since we had other shops we wanted to go to. Once inside, they allowed you to grab sets you wanted. PAB area was closed. There was a display near it that listed what pieces were available with a number next to each piece, and you had to fill out an order form with what pieces you wanted. A few of the sets on the shelves had the Euro stickers on them. It was kind of a weird experience with so little people in the store, but they managed it very well considering the crazy environment we're in. 

Lego store1.jpg

Lego store2.jpg

Lego store3.jpg

Lego store4.jpg

Lego store5.jpg

• Like 6

Continued cleanup from the "Derecho" storm that blew through Eastern Iowa.  100+ mph straight line winds for 30-40 mins straight.  Overall our house was spared but the city looks like a war zone.  So glad to have gotten power back last night.  I realize what a blessing having power again is!

20200812_090543.jpg

Edited by MusiKyle
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10

On 8/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, MusiKyle said:

Continued cleanup from the "Derecho" storm that blew through Eastern Iowa.  100+ mph straight line winds for 30-40 mins straight.  Overall our house was spared but the city looks like a war zone.  So glad to have gotten power back last night.  I realize what a blessing having power again is!

Praying for you guys.  I'm originally from Cedar Rapids and still have friends and family living there.  None of them have power yet. 

I was living there in 1998 when Iowa City was hit by such  storm.  Crazy stuff.  It is like getting hit by a Cat 2 Hurricane that didn't exist a mere seven hours earlier.

• Thanks 1

This morning I prepped most of the arsenal. My Brother-in-law is in town, so getting ready to take him to the range. Working Fridays is so 2019 (I'm on 20% furlough).  Converted the home office to the range prep work bench.

From the top, left to right: 
30-40 Krag, Sig Sauer P320 M17, Glock 22 Gen 4, Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite, Ruger GP100, Beretta Cheetah

a36a2f2.thumb.jpg.542e7e531220afee2ffe92b06ebe5244.jpg

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

This morning I prepped most of the arsenal. My Brother-in-law is in town, so getting ready to take him to the range. Working Fridays is so 2019 (I'm on 20% furlough).  Converted the home office to the range prep work bench.

30-40 Krag, Sig Sauer P320 M17, Glock 22 Gen 4, Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite, Ruger GP100, Beretta Cheetah

P320 is a great choice.  Well, you have lots of great choices actually but I do have that one.  I have today off too, range sounds fun.  Need to make it out there again.

2 hours ago, rpaulson7 said:

I can spot the little creeper out there!

9 hours ago, rpaulson7 said:

So jealous. I cleaned the gutters today.

13 hours ago, rpaulson7 said:

What is the date on your 30-40 Krag?  

I picked up the Russian equivalent of that weapon several years ago - a Mosin Nagant 1891/30 - $125.  Mine is dated 1929 - Octagon barrel.  First time I fired a dozen rounds through it, my shoulder hurt for a week.  No padding added - just like what yours looks like.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

What is the date on your 30-40 Krag?  

I picked up the Russian equivalent of that weapon several years ago - a Mosin Nagant 1891/30 - $125.  Mine is dated 1929 - Octagon barrel.  First time I fired a dozen rounds through it, my shoulder hurt for a week.  No padding added - just like what yours looks like.  

The Mosin Nagant had a nasty reputation for that. Several Soviet soldiers in WW2 reported dislocated shoulders. I was a history major for my undergrad and reading what Lyudmila  Pavilichenko did with the weapon was really something exceptional. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Pavlichenko

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Twain said:

The Mosin Nagant had a nasty reputation for that. Several Soviet soldiers in WW2 reported dislocated shoulders. I was a history major for my undergrad and reading what Lyudmila  Pavilichenko did with the weapon was really something exceptional. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Pavlichenko

Yeah, it was the primary sniper rifle of the Soviet Army during WWII.  It uses a specific bolt with a turned down handle so it can have a scope mounted for the sniper versions.  Metal butt on mine.  I need to get a real pad for it before I fire it again.  

BTW, I spoke to a guy whose model was dated 1943.  The quality control was so bad he could only fire 10 rounds before the bolt would seize up with a used round in the chamber.  He would have to wait 10-15 minutes for it to cool down before firing it again.  Any of them built after 1938 are suspect.

The Krag is a Springfield Armory Model 1898.  Do you know where I would find the year? It does have a serial number. 

It has been in our family for at least 4 generations, and it became mine because I'm the oldest grandson of this generation. Luckily my Dad gave it to me with 8 boxes of shells, because that stuff is expensive!

Yesterday was the first time I shot it - we fired 12 rounds i think. The bolt is so smooth. It's interesting how you just drop the rounds in the magazine, they're rolling around in there loose, and it all comes together when shooting. 

36 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

The Krag is a Springfield Armory Model 1898.  Do you know where I would find the year? It does have a serial number. 

It has been in our family for at least 4 generations, and it became mine because I'm the oldest grandson of this generation. Luckily my Dad gave it to me with 8 boxes of shells, because that stuff is expensive!

Yesterday was the first time I shot it - we fired 12 rounds i think. The bolt is so smooth. It's interesting how you just drop the rounds in the magazine, they're rolling around in there loose, and it all comes together when shooting. 

Yeah, the Krag is the predecessor to the Springfield 30-06 (1906) which became the standard for the US WWII rifle the M1 Garand.  Here is a reference to read the serial number: https://gun-data.com/krag_rifles_carbines.html

The ammo for my Mosin Nagat is also expensive.  There are very few weapons which use the same rounds (7.62x54R).  AK-47 uses 7.62x39 and are much less expensive.  And depending on the manufacturer, the casings might be steal (Russian surplus) instead of brass (USA mfg).