What did you do today?

Frustratingly lectured my 12 year old niece on basic history. She's in 7th grade, apparently near the top of her class in math, science, english, etc.

But as I found out today has no grasp on history, do they just not teach it anymore?

Her first guess to when the Vietnam War was in the 1700s

Her second guess was the 1500s

Could give me no information about WW2 or when it was and thought the Holocaust was something totally unrelated

I nearly lost it when it took her almost 5 minutes to name Hitler as the leader of the Nazis. I mean he's probably the most well known person next to Jesus and Michael Jackson.

Apparently it seems her history classes have almost entirely focused on ancient history, Mesopotamia, Egypt, etc and she has no grasp on anything in the past 1000 years, let alone 100.

I was honestly getting worried that she didn't know what 9/11 was.

It really worries me too, if a few generations from now, today's tweens are the eldest and have no recollection of history prior to 2010ish.

• Like 1

It's just as bad in the UK. Volunteering as a Civilian Instructor with the Air Training Corps (Air Cadets) we have a new intake of 12 to 14 year olds around the start of the school year in September. One of the first things they are taught is to march as a squad so that they can take part in the Remembrance Sunday parade held around Armistice Day in November.

The shockingly sad thing is that 95% of these kids don't know why we parade (along with regular active and reserve forces) on that Sunday as they have not even heard of the First World War.

The term "Lest we forget" is now more important than ever before.

How on earth are the current generation ever going to learn from the past when it is not taught....  And I'm now stopping this thread of thought before I go of on a rant about the politics behind that.

8 hours ago, Stud-Flipper said:

Frustratingly lectured my 12 year old niece on basic history. She's in 7th grade, apparently near the top of her class in math, science, english, etc.

But as I found out today has no grasp on history, do they just not teach it anymore?

Could give me no information about WW2 or when it was and thought the Holocaust was something totally unrelated

I nearly lost it when it took her almost 5 minutes to name Hitler as the leader of the Nazis. I mean he's probably the most well known person next to Jesus and Michael Jackson.

Apparently it seems her history classes have almost entirely focused on ancient history, Mesopotamia, Egypt, etc and she has no grasp on anything in the past 1000 years, let alone 100.

It really worries me too, if a few generations from now, today's tweens are the eldest and have no recollection of history prior to 2010ish.

This may be a bit of a simplistic answer, but are they not teaching these kids in the order that the history happened. Pretty sure the last things we were thought in history was the last century of history. Maybe they just haven't reached the 20th century yet.

As I recall from middle school days even 30 years ago we didn’t get to 20th century stuff till 10th grade. Looks like it hasn’t changed much. I have a 7th grader and they just finished up ancient history recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Celebrated my 15th wedding anniversary three days early as my wife and I had lunch and enjoyed a largely kid free day.  It was a very good use of a vacation day.  Going to the pumpkin patch with the kids soon.  

Also bought a like new Nintendo Switch console with two controllers, all cables, etc. with the Splatoon 2, Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 and Super Mario Odyssey games for $260 on Craigslist and beat 5 others people to it according the father I bought it from.  It was a great day!

• Like 5

I started working on a popsicle stick castle. It’s hard. This is close to 35 hours of work. Split across the last 4 long nights.  About 1200 sticks and 20 hot glue sticks. Almost 2500 individual cuts using a pair of wire cutters just to trim the round ends off.  And this is just the base. It’s 2 foot by 2 foot. But it’s sturdy and flat as hell now. I’m proud. 

89086806-CC35-4455-BE78-503A059F880A.jpeg

7FBDA068-66BF-48D9-9AFC-50545C3A977E.jpeg

B3CCE7C1-1D68-4B7C-B501-1A30105E863F.jpeg

• Like 5

Had the most amazing birthday weekend! My wife surprised me with a weekend in Napa with friends. They were sitting in a limo waiting for me after we parked. I had no clue! Lunch at Goose & Gander, wine tasting at a few vineywards, dinner at Morimoto's, golf the next morning, and then brunch at Brix. 

She's not happy about our storage room being full of Lego, but I guess she still loves me. haha

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Actually over the last weekend...

I've finally got rid of my umpteen carrier bags full of Creator Parrot polybags, that were given to me by a W H Smith buddy. I support various MS charities (my other half has it) and I volunteered to collect using buckets last Saturday and Sunday in the lobby of my local large Sainsburys... in the cold!. All I did was put a sign up saying that all that donate will get a free LEGO polybag. It only took 3 hours to raise over £300 and I got rid of all those sodding parrots! I've been putting them with sets as freebies, but I had so many that they really needed to go.

48 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Actually over the last weekend...

I've finally got rid of my umpteen carrier bags full of Creator Parrot polybags, that were given to me by a W H Smith buddy. I support various MS charities (my other half has it) and I volunteered to collect using buckets last Saturday and Sunday in the lobby of my local large Sainsburys... in the cold!. All I did was put a sign up saying that all that donate will get a free LEGO polybag. It only took 3 hours to raise over £300 and I got rid of all those sodding parrots! I've been putting them with sets as freebies, but I had so many that they really needed to go.

Top Geezer !

• 2 weeks later...

Someone shared a picture on the bootleg Lego reddit page gloating that TRU in Canada is selling direct knockoffs of Lego Architecture sets.

image.thumb.png.377ddfc27f5fc7cf40b75085202ce9d5.png

I sent the information to Lego pointing it out, and mentioned that other snitches get paid off. Asked if there was any change of getting some VIP points for the information.

The response I got back:

Thanks for getting in touch with us and letting us know about this!
I went ahead and passed this information onto the right team to take a look further into it.
We appreciate you, thanks for being such a great LEGO® fan. I've went ahead and added 250 VIP points to your VIP card.
Happy Holidays!

image.png.5665136300796da200dfe8ec73cd7627.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I signed up for my first Polar Plunge.  For those not from the far north, I'll be jumping into the water of a frozen lake, fully submerging, and then running like he77 to warmth.

It's a benefit for Special Olympics Minnesota.  I'll be jumping on February 2.

If you would like to donate to this great cause, every dollar counts!  You can support me at:

https://reg.plungemn.org/participant/ryanpaulson

Help me support the 8,100+ athletes who participate in Special Olympics Minnesota. Please donate to my Polar Plunge page!

If I can get $100 from this group, photos and review will be posted!

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:55 AM, Stud-Flipper said:

I started working on a popsicle stick castle. It’s hard. This is close to 35 hours of work. Split across the last 4 long nights.  About 1200 sticks and 20 hot glue sticks. Almost 2500 individual cuts using a pair of wire cutters just to trim the round ends off.  And this is just the base. It’s 2 foot by 2 foot. But it’s sturdy and flat as hell now. I’m proud. 

B3CCE7C1-1D68-4B7C-B501-1A30105E863F.jpeg

If you want to build a castle w/o reinventing the wheel. there's these plastic bricks....called LEGO.....
? Couldn't resist. The base alone looks pretty awesome. I thought you were building a table top. I'd just stop there. 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Achilles said:
Spotted at Modern Times The Dankness Dojo in downtown LA.
Duck Hunt tribute built out of LEGO. About 6' by 6'.

Regarding Duck Hunt, the 8 Bit Guy explains in this video how the Zapper Guns work in the original Duck Hunt. Very interesting!

• Like 2