75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

Got to love the overly nitpicky aspects of some of you guys.  Just like any set, this should be a big hit even with AFOLS.  How many of you guys talking about the ECTO1 not fitting inside of it actually plan on building it and displaying it? If not, then it seems like a strange thing to complain about.  I know for me, this will be built and displayed and be a fantastic companion to my ECTO1.

Sure I am with some of you that there are tons of other things they could've done with such a huge set, but damn, 4600+ pieces for only $350???  And it looks like a lot of actual bricks and not just cheese wedges like the tower bridge.  You have to admit that at that price and piece count, it's actually very promising.  Think about the fact that Lego can make a 4600 piece set for $350.  10179 was only 500 pieces more for an extra $150.  I know the license is obviously more pricey, but I highly doubt it's that much.

So I'm very optimistic that we can see very nice big sets further down the road from Lego.  It's just a fantastic time to be an AFOL.  Everything about this set is just fantastic IMO. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

No reseller should make waves about Ecto not fitting - let the buyer discover that for themself when they build it and MOC up their own solution.

I make an observation about having to rearrange the set to fit Ecto and you start babbling some nonsense about waves, you're a funny guy Eric 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

Then you are very easily pleased

It's not the most difficult, but there are plenty of sets that just don't work for me, nor do I like everything Lego puts out.  And honestly, most normal people, that don't nitpick every single bit of detail, are perfectly fine with what Lego puts out.  I mean, if you want a 8,000+ piece movie accurate model, then that's fine, but you do realize this is Lego, a toy set?

2 hours ago, chipbee said:

Gullible?

I wouldn't say gullible at all.  It's just a matter of it's a nice looking set.  Sure it has it's annoyances, but it's not going to stop the normal customer from shelling out the money for a set like this.  No matter how you skin the cat, you can literally pick apart every single Lego set for not being movie accurate, or not being exactly to scale/dimensional.

And besides, I can't recall the number of times you big investors just poo-poo a lot of sets, but once imminent retirement comes, you all scramble to gobble up as much as you can.  Even if some of you may not admit it.

KCCO people, it's just a Lego set.

• Like 1

Looks like it's a bit of a cinch to fit the Echto.  Just put up the desk, and then move the Echto in.  Don't see how this is a giant gripe to some.  All sets have some imperfections, and I don't think this set lacks detail at all.  The more I look at the pics, the more details I see.  Not sure where most of you are coming from.  Now the original picture that just showed one angle, and wasn't very scalable, I could see some questioning what they were about to get.  But, now that many images are released, I find it hard to really throw many gripes about this one.  Is it perfect?  No, but it is an iconic set from an iconic movie franchise.  I will definitely be buying one to open, and at least one to put in the savings account.

4 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Looks like it's a bit of a cinch to fit the Echto.  Just put up the desk, and then move the Echto in.  Don't see how this is a giant gripe to some.  All sets have some imperfections, and I don't think this set lacks detail at all.  The more I look at the pics, the more details I see.  Not sure where most of you are coming from.  Now the original picture that just showed one angle, and wasn't very scalable, I could see some questioning what they were about to get.  But, now that many images are released, I find it hard to really throw many gripes about this one.  Is it perfect?  No, but it is an iconic set from an iconic movie franchise.  I will definitely be buying one to open, and at least one to put in the savings account.

I am from the Netherlands.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Maybe I'm not best placed to give the best view on this as I won't be the target audience for this set but I find it a little odd that you have to remove the desk to fit the Ecto-1 into the HQ. It's what I would refer to as a design flaw but I guess they had to compromise as space wasn't a luxury they had considering the base dimensions. Regarding the detail of the interior, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The two GBHQ MOCS pictured below were more along the guidelines of what I was expecting to see.

ghostbusters-hq_v2.jpg

48.JPG

Does anyone know the piece count on those two MOC sets?  Personally, other than the use of tiles on the floors, the lego version is spatially designed better than the swiss version, IMO.  The top one is missing the pole that the lego version has going the entire way through the building.  I also like how the building folds out, as the staircase looks complete, and the design of the fold out is more appeasing, and solid than the flimsy way it was designed in the swiss version.  While the second version below is nice, that one looks like 6000 to 7000 pieces, and also looks like it would be hard for kids to play with since it's got an obsessive amount of details to where it would be hard to put your hands in there to move things around.

It's definitely evident Lego designers took many of the best elements of the top version and improved it.  So, I would see where the swiss guy would feel sleighted, but I think Lego's version is much better.

Does anyone know the piece count on those two MOC sets?  Personally, other than the use of tiles on the floors, the lego version is spatially designed better than the swiss version, IMO.  The top one is missing the pole that the lego version has going the entire way through the building.  I also like how the building folds out, as the staircase looks complete, and the design of the fold out is more appeasing, and solid than the flimsy way it was designed in the swiss version.  While the second version below is nice, that one looks like 6000 to 7000 pieces, and also looks like it would be hard for kids to play with since it's got an obsessive amount of details to where it would be hard to put your hands in there to move things around.

It's definitely evident Lego designers took many of the best elements of the top version and improved it.  So, I would see where the swiss guy would feel sleighted, but I think Lego's version is much better.

The top moc looks like it has a yellow pole going from the top floor to the ground floor

On November 11, 2015 at 1:06:28 PM, sauromosis said:

Fire Brigade can house a fire truck but this can't house the Ecto-1?  Fail.

Do you have an Ecto-1 built?  If so can we see a pic of it in the FB (I know you have one of those built) to get some perspective on size.  Not sure if Ecto-1 will be to wide to fit in FB but I am talking about the depth. 

21 hours ago, gregpj said:

I agree 100% it's not as nice as the ideas one but it has a lot of nice features... Not being able to park the Ecto-1 without changes kind of stinks, but the reality is that I think most people who "buy and play" and who "buy and display" won't care. If I display it, the Ecto-1 will be outside on the street visible or "exiting" the HQ or .. something, I wouldn't display it parked in the building.

I was trying to figure out where the piece count came from though... and I was originally thinking it had tons of 1x1 studs, plates and tiles and but that still didn't account for it... Then I realized - outside red/inside tan. To my knowledge, that's the first "modular" with a double wall so that the inside could be a different color than the outside. That's a win right there. Ed - feel free to use that in your next book. ;)

This is a great point. I wonder what the PPG is on this set and it will be nice to place it in the modular comparison chart for PPP and PPG at MSRP.  Also the double wall will make for nice MOC opportunity Out of the box. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

It looks nice but a lot of pieces went into the double walls.  Should have been a $200, 2400 piece set similar in size and detailing to the Haunted House.  And not being able to park the Ecto-1 easily inside is a fail.  If I'm going to own this set I want to play with it in some degree and that includes rolling the Ghostbusters in the Ecto-1 out the door as I make the "Neer-ner, neer-ner" sound.

Similar to my thoughts on sand crawler... Too much $$$ for a big box

Have you built the latest Sandcrawler? It's huge and has plenty of features. Yes, $300 is a lot but u get your $ worth (considering the built in license fee) in many large plates, exclusive Jawas (yeah, the advent has 1 of the 2 designs) and technic elements.

On 11/15/2015, 4:19:40, jaisonline said:

Have you built the latest Sandcrawler? It's huge and has plenty of features. Yes, $300 is a lot but u get your $ worth (considering the built in license fee) in many large plates, exclusive Jawas (yeah, the advent has 1 of the 2 designs) and technic elements.

I think the new droid escape pod 75136 has a couple of Jawa minifigs.

• Like 1