75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

5 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

i'm about to reboot most of what's been posted the last week in this thread.

please post on-topic regardless whether you're a newbie, mod, veteran member, etc...

Well I see your point, but personally I do not think that this is necessary. Most (maybe even all) of the discussions here have been related to the topic and have been thoughts about GB or the set itself. Some derailing here and there keeps a forum alive as Ed said. (off-topic mode off)

One point I'd like to just throw into the discussion as it hasn't been brought up and I think bears mentioning. The effect of the upcoming Ghostbusters "reboot" film (slated for July 2016 release) should not be underestimated specifically because of the historical success of its female leads and their current status as female comedians with a very large following.  Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy are arguably the two most popular female comedians in America right now.  Their work together in the movie Bridesmaids in 2011 generated a massive hit that has developed a very, very strong following which still continues now, four years after its release. In fact, I think the movie Bridesmaids is the top grossing R rated, female lead comedy in history (haven't verified that but I think so).  All things Ghostbusters could get really hot next summer if this movie flies out of the gate with a monster box office opening weekend. I think that is exactly what is going to happen, and I think there is going to be a line of Lego sets following the new movie with the 75827 being the Holy Grail for Lego GB sets, maybe even more so because it's based on the original.  Which an entire new generation is going to being Netflixing the bejeezus out of come July....

14 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy are arguably the two most popular female comedians in America right now. 

Amy Schumer says hi.

4 hours ago, Haay said:

The Swiss guy who made the Lego Ideas Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters made a statement on his page about the very similar looking new Lego 75827 set:

My Statement on the release of the Lego Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

Wow. Just wow.  My opinion of the LEGO Group, especially the design team, just took another huge dip.

Wouldn't be the first time they "borrowed" from somebody, won't be the last.  There was an uncanny resemblance to a Haunted House MOC when 10228 came out as well.  I'd be pissed as well.  Like the guy said, if they were truly planning on something like that, having him sign an NDA would have easily allowed them to say "thanks for your submission, but here's what we're already working on", and it would have cleared everything up.  Now they have some obvious bad press because of this decision due to their obsession with secrecy, which I can understand due to all the knockoffs.

• Like 5

While Lego makes cool toys, I have no respects for the corporate leadership after this.

Very low. All that just for 1% revenue of one set.

Even if they didn't steal the idea (very doubtful), they had absolutely no respect for the idea author by not telling him about it. An NDA should work to protect the confidentiality. Even if he leak the set info on some internet forum, so what? They leaked future set info all the time.

Now I can guess why some talented MOCers (such as Nico71) never submitted any idea. 

• Like 1

I wonder why the hell they invited him to the Lego HQ in the first place. This was just to ease their conscious. "We invited him for a fun day at the Lego HQ. An easy way to ease our minds and cheap". 

As I've said before. It is difficult to become the number 1 toymaker in the world. But even more difficult to remain number 1. Probably everything is allowed.

Looks like Lego will be releasing GB sets to coincide with next years movie

http://www.toynews-online.biz/news/read/sony-pictures-details-toy-plans-for-ghostbusters-jumanji-and-get-smurfy/045530

“Alongside Mattel, we have LEGO on board, Funko doing Pop! Vinyl and Rubie’s is making costumes. It’s expansive. We have something for everyone, whether you’re a collector or an everyday toy buyer.”

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

This is one of the caveats of the Ideas project. It's left a bitter taste in the mouth and Lego should feel embarrassed about the way they've handled the situation.  

I suspect many more great designers will stop bothering with Ideas, given the way LEGO is handling it.  There may not be anything underhanded about the decision process, but the level of secrecy and lack of information makes the whole thing hard to swallow.

Edited by jay4e

24 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Looks like Lego will be releasing GB sets to coincide with next years movie

http://www.toynews-online.biz/news/read/sony-pictures-details-toy-plans-for-ghostbusters-jumanji-and-get-smurfy/045530

“Alongside Mattel, we have LEGO on board, Funko doing Pop! Vinyl and Rubie’s is making costumes. It’s expansive. We have something for everyone, whether you’re a collector or an everyday toy buyer.”

I had a hunch all along.  Looks like the GBHQ is just the beginning of what will probably be a series of sets that will include new and old sets (ala LOTR/Hobbit).  I think that will give this line set some legs.  Hopefully somewhere in the line they make a stay puffed marshmallow man.

27 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I had a hunch all along.  Looks like the GBHQ is just the beginning of what will probably be a series of sets that will include new and old sets (ala LOTR/Hobbit).  I think that will give this line set some legs.  Hopefully somewhere in the line they make a stay puffed marshmallow man.

Yup, my idea as well. With the Ecto-1 and Firehouse Headquarters they have covered the original two Ghost Busters movies, and they will create a new Ghostbusters theme to put the upcoming new sets under which are based on the new movie. Since TLG made a license deal to make Lego Ghost Busters sets (including Lego Dimensions!) they will milk it out for all they can.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haay said:

Yup, my idea as well. With the Ecto-1 and Firehouse Headquarters they have covered the original two Ghost Busters movies, and they will create a new Ghostbusters theme to put the upcoming new sets under which are based on the new movie. Since TLG made a license deal to make Lego Ghost Busters sets (including Lego Dimensions!) they will milk it out for all they can.

They could still do some more.  Like this one:

So with Ghostbusters getting its own theme now apparently, does anyone think this has any bearing on Scooby Doo longevity?  

Two Ghost-battling supernatural-based themes - seems like they would be cannibalizing but maybe interest in ghosts and ghouls is a lot greater than i imagined.

5 minutes ago, cladner said:

So with Ghostbusters getting its own theme now apparently, does anyone think this has any bearing on Scooby Doo longevity?  

Two Ghost-battling supernatural-based themes - seems like they would be cannibalizing but maybe interest in ghosts and ghouls is a lot greater than i imagined.

I'm starting to wonder if the Hanna Barbera theme is possibly it's own unique wave.  Sounds like the Jetson's and Flinstones could be coming too.   Scooby Doo could be part of this big licensing wave that includes multiple cartoon series.  I think there's something cooking there.

• Like 1