75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

6 minutes ago, KShine said:

What really sucks is that so many of us seem to have nothing better to do than to make posts on this rather pointless thread :)

It's a slow day.

Let me pose this question.  This has nothing really to do with anything but to gauge the interest of Ghostbusters.  The topic of comparing it to Back to the Future has intrigued me.  I don't have a dog in this fight since I love them both.  This will be a "Which would you rather buy?" question.

Set A:  Ghostbusters Headquarters as shown.  4000+ pieces, 9 figures with all currently being exclusive, accessories up the wazoo, presumably since we haven't seen the interior yet. 

Set B:  Hill Valley City Hall.  4000+ pieces, 9 figures (some combination of Marty, Doc, Jennifer, Biff/Griff, Goldie Wilson, etc. and existing characters like Doc and Marty would be different somehow to make them "exclusive" like HQ figures), accessories everywhere like hoverboards and such.

Neither set can have the iconic car, Ecto-1 or Delorean.  These are both bland-ish buildings that are settings for the movies, but not necessarily the main setting.  Trying to make everything equal here.

GO!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

It's a slow day.

Let me pose this question.  This has nothing really to do with anything but to gauge the interest of Ghostbusters.  The topic of comparing it to Back to the Future has intrigued me.  I don't have a dog in this fight since I love them both.  This will be a "Which would you rather buy?" question.

Set A:  Ghostbusters Headquarters as shown.  4000+ pieces, 9 figures with all currently being exclusive, accessories up the wazoo, presumably since we haven't seen the interior yet. 

Set B:  Hill Valley City Hall.  4000+ pieces, 9 figures (some combination of Marty, Doc, Jennifer, Biff/Griff, Goldie Wilson, etc. and existing characters like Doc and Marty would be different somehow to make them "exclusive" like HQ figures), accessories everywhere like hoverboards and such.

Neither set can have the iconic car, Ecto-1 or Delorean.  These are both bland-ish buildings that are settings for the movies, but not necessarily the main setting.  Trying to make everything equal here.

GO!

bttf.jpg

• Like 7

Hill Valley City Hall.  I like both, but the city hall is what the Town Hall should have looked like.  That's the one modular I like the least, and would replace it in an instant with a City Hall.  So for me, its got the crossover value for movie fans and town/modular fans.

The city hall is great! I probably would buy it ;-)

BUT it loses if you compare it to the Ghostbusters HEADQUARTER! Just because the city hall isn't a headquarter. There never have been any indoor shots, so an interior would have nothing to do with the actual movies. It's a given thing that the cityhall is an important place for the movies but not as tied to the characters as the GB Headquarter.

Just my opinion.

(And if we talk about the GB headquarter you should keep in mind that it's not only in the movies but also playing a major role in animated series and computer games).

I have to say I love this forum for the fact that most of the prolific posters are pretty damn close to exclusively investors, and as such, look at Lego through a completely different lens than us normal collectors.

I for one and super stoked about this set.  Not to mention I would honestly buy any set Lego put out that was over 4,000 pieces.  But it's just interesting the dynamic because as a normal collector who likes to open and display, value/popularity really isn't that important.  When I show people my room that has every lego set I've bought over the years displayed, they are just in true awe, and want to look at all the sets, even the more obscure/less popular ones.  They just are amazed at what Lego can do.  And you have to think of it this way too, because even some of these more obscure stuff could end up being of interest to someone that would have otherwise not have known.

I think the best thing going for the HQ is the fact that not only is it huge, with tons of exclusive figures, but you can actually FIT the ECTO-1 inside of it.  That is such a ridiculous selling point IMO that people will go gaga over when they realize this fact.

It may not be such a huge investment winner in some of your eyes, but that's also what's really funny.  All the almost set in stone opinions, and the set won't be released for another few months.  I also think you truly underestimate the number of normal people who don't really necessarily buy secondary market but buy it on the primary when it's still at retail.  I truly have a hard time believing that Lego would release this set without doing some serious market research.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, citymorgue said:

I have to say I love this forum for the fact that most of the prolific posters are pretty damn close to exclusively investors, and as such, look at Lego through a completely different lens than us normal collectors.

I for one and super stoked about this set.  Not to mention I would honestly buy any set Lego put out that was over 4,000 pieces.  But it's just interesting the dynamic because as a normal collector who likes to open and display, value/popularity really isn't that important.  When I show people my room that has every lego set I've bought over the years displayed, they are just in true awe, and want to look at all the sets, even the more obscure/less popular ones.  They just are amazed at what Lego can do.  And you have to think of it this way too, because even some of these more obscure stuff could end up being of interest to someone that would have otherwise not have known.

I think the best thing going for the HQ is the fact that not only is it huge, with tons of exclusive figures, but you can actually FIT the ECTO-1 inside of it.  That is such a ridiculous selling point IMO that people will go gaga over when they realize this fact.

It may not be such a huge investment winner in some of your eyes, but that's also what's really funny.  All the almost set in stone opinions, and the set won't be released for another few months.  I also think you truly underestimate the number of normal people who don't really necessarily buy secondary market but buy it on the primary when it's still at retail.  I truly have a hard time believing that Lego would release this set without doing some serious market research.

Thank you!

Let alone the lego ideas market research speaks in favor for this set.

Now I only need a room like you have it ;-)

I guess LEGO did some market research with the Prince of Persia, Lone Ranger, Cars, and Toy Story themes as well. It's a cool set, but let's not crown it an iconic set yet. $350 is a lot of money for the regular fan to dish out for a Fire Brigade on steroids.

• Like 3

The value of this set is clear (even the haters can see that) - Being able to make a profit (from day 1) by purchasing this set is a lock.

If someone doesn't like it, don't buy it - If you don't like the boring look of the building exterior, go back and change the movie (because that's just how it looks).

There is something to the "Wow, I can't believe that they made that" aspect of a set - and this one (whether you like it or not) clearly has it.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, KShine said:

The value of this set is clear (even the haters can see that) - Being able to make a profit (from day 1) by purchasing this set is a lock.

If someone doesn't like it, don't buy it - If you don't like the boring look of the building exterior, go back and change the movie (because that's just how it looks).

There is something to the "Wow, I can't believe that they made that" aspect of a set - and this one (whether you like it or not) clearly has it.

Agreed. This set along with the Brick Bank and possible UCS SW set should make for a fun and expensive day at the lego store on 1/1/2016. 

38 minutes ago, KShine said:

I think to a few people, it's more like, "WOW, LEGO wasted a 4600 piece set on a big red rectangle!"  LOL

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Agreed. This set along with the Brick Bank and possible UCS SW set should make for a fun and expensive day at the lego store on 1/1/2016. 

Shouldn't we have heard something about this yet?  According to the master sheet we saw early this year, it was supposed to be announced this month. 

27 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I think to a few people, it's more like, "WOW, LEGO wasted a 4600 piece set on a big red rectangle!"  LOL

Took the words right out of my mouth.  It's not that it's a bad set, but Lego will only make so many of the BIG sets, and they made a red box.

2 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

I'm just pissed that we get this $350 abandoned firehouse but Lego won't make a nice Lord of the Rings Minas Tirith for a fanbase begging for one.  You want to talk about a $350 set that would have amazing secondary market capabilities?(that's not Star Wars)  That's it.

I am equally unhappy over this, though the fault may be due to IP holder of LOTR rather than lego.

6 minutes ago, agp548 said:

After reading most of this ridiculous thread seems to me that the people that are most upset about the price or the look/theme of this set are the "investors". Is it because the price is so high that you guys won't be able to by hundreds of the set and horde it for years hoping to make lots of money? I used to love coming on this site and reading the forums but lately it seems that most of you are just greedy snobs nowadays. And love to complain about everything.  The worst thing about this Ghostbusters headquarters set is following this thread. And the worst thing about brickpicker is how rude and greedy some of you have become. And then the complaints about piece count. Oh there are tons of pieces but they are small pieces. Lmao yeah well I'd rather have tons of tiny pieces than spending 400 bucks on an all gray star destroyer that has thousands less pieces and doesn't fit at all into a modular street. Not to mention most of the pieces are all gray. Or how bout a boring ass tower bridge set that has about half the number of pieces and has two builds that are exactly alike. Oh wait how bout that awesome maersk ship with all those great stickers? Yeah that set is way better to spend money on. Bet if the HQ was limited to only 10000 made you greedy pricks would be all over it!

Easy killer, I think you need to relax.  I am not a reseller and I would consider myself a ghostbuster fan.  Big brick building for 350+...that is a pass for me.  If they would have done the final scene in lego with staypuff and the demon dogs, then we got ourselves a set.