75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

11 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Exclusive minifigures mean less and less these days unfortunately.  They will be copied weeks after release.

The copies will likely be available before the set is even released - but either way, each one will still be going for $10-$20+ a piece.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I'm pretty confident this will be a very slow seller...

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a slow seller.  Don't let the hype around here fool you.  This is a huge number for any set, especially one that looks like a regular Modular.  STAR WARS fans are fanatics and will pay top dollar for anything STAR WARS related, Ghostbusters fans are well....just fans.  They like the movie, but do you really imagine that there will a REAL demand for this set, not some "LEGO induced shortage BS" demand?  Besides a handful of people, who will just have to have one?  Not me for one.  

People can promote 4000+ pieces and 12 exclusive minifgures all they want, but to me anyway, the set doesn't have the IT factor...like in I MUST HAVE IT.  I think it's a well done set and I will buy a few, but keep in mind other large sets as of late and the little interest they receive from regular fans...which will be your future customers.

• Like 1

While you raise some valid points Ed, there are plenty of comments on fan sites where people are salivating at the prospect of owning this set once released. I guess what I'm saying is while I don't see it being a great seller like Star Wars UCS and Modulars I do still believe there will be fans prepared to pay high secondary market prices once retired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a slow seller.  Don't let the hype around here fool you.  This is a huge number for any set, especially one that looks like a regular Modular.  STAR WARS fans are fanatics and will pay top dollar for anything STAR WARS related, Ghostbusters fans are well....just fans.  They like the movie, but do you really imagine that there will a REAL demand for this set, not some "LEGO induced shortage BS" demand?  Besides a handful of people, who will just have to have one?  Not me for one.  

Death Star - 7+ years, going on indefinite life ether in a new version or not

GBHQ - 2 years tops.  Likely the ECTO-1 will fade from production, which will contribute to a fade in GBHQ sales, leading to a Town Hall-like EOL decision in late 2017.

Personally, I'm really excited for GBHQ but the comparison between the fan bases is spot on.

24 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

While you raise some valid points Ed, there are plenty of comments on fan sites where people are salivating at the prospect of owning this set once released. I guess what I'm saying is while I don't see it being a great seller like Star Wars UCS and Modulars I do still believe there will be fans prepared to pay high secondary market prices once retired.

Nobody is saying no one will buy it. People are discussing the level of demand and investment potential. I certainly will think very hard before even buying one set to build, let alone multiple sets for investment.

8 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

I loved GB as a kid but I have to say I came across it on netflix the other day and tried to watch it, got 30 mins into it............horrible!! Its not as iconic as some of yall want it to be ;)

To each their own I guess. I watch it a few weeks ago and it was just as fun as I remembered it.

4 minutes ago, chipbee said:

Nobody is saying no one will buy it. People are discussing the level of demand and investment potential. I certainly will think very hard before even buying one set to build, let alone multiple sets for investment.

I was giving my opinion on the demand and investment potential, looks like you've misinterpreted my post.

13 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

I don't think one person has said that it sucks.  The hyperbole is strong here.

You're right. Everyone is glowing about it and saying it's going to be an obvious winner and we should buy as many as possible. On opposite day.

3 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

LOL.  There's a difference in a set sucking and folks not thinking it's going to be a home run for investment. 

Not to me. If it isn't a good investment, it sucks. ;)

If they ever made any of the minifigures I'd be tempted to buy this just to convert it into the Justice Society of America's brownstone HQ. 

I think this will surprise people. The exclusive and coveted minifigures are a plus that most modulars don't have. The movie is a cult favourite every bit as much as Back to the Future. We may have just had Back to the Future Day but we aren't having a new movie like we are for Ghostbusters. Everybody knows who they are. We went as ghostbusters for Halloween just the other year and people were yelling "Ghostbusters" at us out of their passing cars. I saw many versions of the costume at the last comic con I was at, I have yet to see any Back to the Future costumes out there. 

23 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

I will only one to add to my city. But no more. Or I will have to win the lotery.

so you're buying at least one ^.^ I bet you'll end up with more as investment :-P

1 hour ago, Crustybeaver said:

So to conclude our thread-talk: You "kind of" agree with me? ^.^

31 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

If they ever made any of the minifigures I'd be tempted to buy this just to convert it into the Justice Society of America's brownstone HQ. 

I think this will surprise people. The exclusive and coveted minifigures are a plus that most modulars don't have. The movie is a cult favourite every bit as much as Back to the Future. We may have just had Back to the Future Day but we aren't having a new movie like we are for Ghostbusters. Everybody knows who they are. We went as ghostbusters for Halloween just the other year and people were yelling "Ghostbusters" at us out of their passing cars. I saw many versions of the costume at the last comic con I was at, I have yet to see any Back to the Future costumes out there. 

Yesthe minifigs are a great additional point in favor for this set! (I guess somebody else pointed this out before you did ^.^ but well I'm quoting you :-P ).

Honestly: Me as consumer AND investor, I bought several sets just because I wanted the minifigs ^.^ They certainly are not to be neglected.