75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

You have to factor in transport costs from the warehouse but in that case there is no good reason why EIRE has cheaper prices than mainland Europe, for instance. Maybe they apply the Big Mac price index and base it on average income levels, That or the dartboard method.

1 hour ago, BearCrash said:

If that doesn't make sense to you, how about HQ costing €350 in Germany (including 19% sales tax) and €400 in Belgium and The Netherlands (including 21% sales tax)...

whats the rate of income tax and property (house, car tax) over there?

1 hour ago, pickleboy said:

Ouch on those sales taxes...

there is a reason for that and the prices already includes the tax. not added at the register like US

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

there is a reason for that and the prices already includes the tax. not added at the register like US

In most European countries these rates are on a sliding scale and rich people tend to employ good accountants to make them look poorer and thus pay less. VAT is a flat rate although there are lower bands for fresh food and other "necessary items" and can´t really be avoided. For Lego, it is between 18 and 25% in  the majority of EU member states.

18 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

In most European countries these rates are on a sliding scale with 40-50% being the upper range for income tac and rich people tend to employ good accountants to make them look poorer and thus pay less. most countries don´t have a wealth tax as such on property and cars as we already pay Value Added Tax when we buy them.

VAT is a flat rate although there are lower bands for fresh food and other "necessary items" and can´t really be avoided. For Lego, it is between 18 and 25% in  the majority of EU member states.

Edited by valenciaeric

13 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

Can't tell you for sure but I don't have the impression that my dutch neighbours are that much richer than people living in Germany. (Maybe richer in seawater...).

Taking the "richer in seawater" example suddenly everything makes sense! That's why spain and italy and france also have higher prices! Although people there probably don't have more money.

I'd say that it's about the same with minimal differences. But when I lived in france I felt like the average costs aren't higher (depending on where you live). Same for neverlands... I mean netherlands.

11 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

In most European countries these rates are on a sliding scale and rich people tend to employ good accountants to make them look poorer and thus pay less. VAT is a flat rate although there are lower bands for fresh food and other "necessary items" and can´t really be avoided. For Lego, it is between 18 and 25% in  the majority of EU member states.

In the US the rich are allowed to write the tax laws that apply to them.

Edited by MarxMarvelous

12 hours ago, Locutus001 said:

Can't beat SW for sure but it's comparable to BTTF

I am sorry Locutus. But Ghostbusters is not comparable to BTTF. I watched the BTTF trilogy a trazillion times. I cannot recall watching Ghostbusters. Maybe sometimes the series from the 80's.

BTTF is a cult. Ghostbusters isn't.

• Like 1

If I had the option to either pay 400 for this set or I could get both the kwik e mart and Simpson house both for 200 dollars total I'd chose the firehouse every time. Set is awesome. Everyone complaining about the price is hilarious. Just wait til Lego unveils the inside. It's gonna be amazing. There is no doubt in my mind about that. People are funny. So when is this gonna retire? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ciglione said:

I am sorry Locutus. But Ghostbusters is not comparable to BTTF. I watched the BTTF trilogy a trazillion times. I cannot recall watching Ghostbusters. Maybe sometimes the series from the 80's.

Hang on a minute.  Don't cross the streams.  

I have to play devil's advocate on this one. Original BTTF is great but by the third movie it just got sad.  I can't remember the details but I'm like 47% sure there was a cowboy version of Biff and Marty McFly was running around wearing a Navajo rug.

Ghostbusters WAS iconic.  The characters were fun, the actors were brilliant.  Bill Murray alone is enough reason to watch this movie over and over. 

I dare you to watch this scene and not love Ghostbusters:

Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.

Venkman: What?

Spengler: Don't cross the streams.

Venkman: Why?

Spengler: It would be bad.

Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?

Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Stantz: Total protonic reversal!

Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Mfortunek, with all due respect. But one scene is all you can come up with? There are so many brilliant scenes in BTTF I can throw back at you.

Ghostbusters is a nice movie with a nice themesong. But I repeat... BTTF is cult.

I actually think the Huey Lewis & the News soundtrack to BTTF trumps Ghostbusters all day long.  All I'm saying is that GB is not to be underestimated.  There are plenty of iconic scenes, I just chose my personal favorite...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ciglione said: I am sorry Locutus. But Ghostbusters is not comparable to BTTF. I watched the BTTF trilogy a trazillion times. I cannot recall watching Ghostbusters. Maybe sometimes the series from the 80's.

I have to play devil's advocate on this one. Original BTTF is great but by the third movie it just got sad.  I can't remember the details but I'm like 47% sure there was a cowboy version of Biff and Marty McFly was running around wearing a Navajo rug.

Ghostbusters WAS iconic.  The characters were fun, the actors were brilliant.  Bill Murray alone is enough reason to watch this movie over and over. 

Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

31 years later and I can quote this word for word from memory. This an numerous other scenes. I owned the Ghostbusters cassette and wore the crap out of that thing. I could sing every word from that soundtrack (yes, Air Supply). I had to buy a second one I wore it out.

For those of that saw these films in the summer of 84 and 85 they are both iconic. I've seen them multiple times over. To argue which is more iconic is silly. They are both great films.

1983-1985 was one of the best sets of years for fantastic films. Too many to count.

• Like 7

BTTF, GB, and Gremlins great time to be a kid. For what it's worth I prefer Ghostbusters. It's just a great movie. 

Crossing the streams is bad, it will endanger us, it will endanger that nice lady that paid us in advance before she became a dog.

If we could just get some Rambo sets.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

I actually think the Huey Lewis & the News soundtrack to BTTF trumps Ghostbusters all day long.  All I'm saying is that GB is not to be underestimated.  There are plenty of iconic scenes, I just chose my personal favorite...

Interesting how those two are tied together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_Lewis_and_the_News#.22Ghostbusters.22_song_lawsuit

If this building didn't have a little ghost sign on the front they would be going crazy about how this is an overpriced red box.  I already said I would save some judgement for the interior pictures, but even then, how many people display these types of buildings with them open?  Especially if it's in the modular form.  I could actually see this as being a decent parter outer since it does have a high piece count and I'm sure dark red sells well, as well as all the printed pieces and figures. 

It's not that I didn't like the movie, I grew up in this time just like many others here.  Love the movie, but the headquarters isn't that iconic, and I don't see people shelling out big, big money down the road for it.  Ecto-1, to me, is dollar for dollar a much better investment than this set, even with the high horde rate.  You can laugh at me all you want, I might buy one of these for myself, but won't invest in a single one.  There are many better sets out there than this one.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Migration said:

BTTF, GB, and Gremlins great time to be a kid. For what it's worth I prefer Ghostbusters. It's just a great movie. 

Crossing the streams is bad, it will endanger us, it will endanger that nice lady that paid us in advance before she became a dog.

Do not forget about the Goonies!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Do not forget about the Goonies!

If they made the Goonies Pirate Ship with all the minifigs that was on the Ideas site a few months back, i'd buy many.  

But, this GB set is kinda a pass for me.  There's so many sets anymore, that this is one that is on the low end of the interest scale for me.  If it had a large stay puffed marshmallow man or something like that i'd be more into it.  But for the piece count, and how plain-jane this looks, it doesn't really strike me as anything grand.  Personally, i'm fine with just having the main ideas set for GB.

7 hours ago, Ciglione said:

Eh... both are cult. Period.

5 hours ago, mfortunek said:

Yes thank you!

5 hours ago, Ciglione said:

Mfortunek, with all due respect. But one scene is all you can come up with? There are so many brilliant scenes in BTTF I can throw back at you.

Ghostbusters is a nice movie with a nice themesong. But I repeat... BTTF is cult.

There are so many things one could come up with but posting them all here wouldn't make that much sense ^.^

But you asked for it:

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.

Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!

Mayor: Is this true?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.

[pause]

Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no ****.

Walter Peck: Jeez!

[Charges at Venkman]

Mayor: Break it up! Hey, break this up! Break it up!

Walter Peck: All right, all right, all right!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Well, that's what I heard!

2 hours ago, BrickLegacy said:

Most collectors and builders who have a LEGO town will want this set. That's a good reason to invest in at least a couple.

Exactly!

Edited by Locutus001
  • Like 1