75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

22 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

Can I compare this to the ninjago temple?

It had 15 exclusive minifigures. I sold them all at $10+ bucks each and ended up getting the set for free minus minifigures.

If the GB minifigures go for $15ea Tis set ends up costing around $200, I could live with that

The Con side has already stated that that somehow doesn't matter.

Basically stating that since they won't be selling the minifigs separately, it should be ignored when one is considering a sets value.

Can I compare this to the ninjago temple?

It had 15 exclusive minifigures. I sold them all at $10+ bucks each and ended up getting the set for free minus minifigures.

If the GB minifigures go for $15ea Tis set ends up costing around $200, I could live with that

A quick scan of the eBay listings would indicate that the counterfeiters have not had an impact on this set yet. Give it some time and you will be able to buy 15 minifigures for $15. If people are depending on minifigures to drive the value of a set up, one only has to look at the Superhero themes to see the possible impact on set appreciation.

15 hours ago, cladner said:

I can see why people are like meh - It's a sort of boring looking building to begin with but when you look at it, its  an EXACT replica of the building in the motion picture which is why it has appeal.

How wide that appeal is uncertain but with the price point comes scarcity and with scarcity comes profit following EOL.  Plus I'm imaging a really cool interior.  As Ed pointed out earlier, at the price point, the interior better be real and spectacular.

I think this is going to make the Fire Brigade look like a "Bike Shop" size creator set when placed in proximity to each other.

I think it is a mistake looking at this from an investing perspective as purely a "Ghostbusters" themed set.  

This is going to be the largest modular type building to date and guessing a shorter life span whether or not it is a big seller which i tend to doubt it will be.  post EOL even non-Ghostbuster modular building fans will want this.

Highlighted for emphasis.

I don't really care about Ghostbusters, I only vaguely remember the movie, but I'm full of expectation with regards to this set.

Minifigures can have a QF window too, the airjitzu ones have dropped 50% oj some since it was released, I'll probably go short and just get 1 or 2 GB and see what happens

I agree. There will be opportunities to make money off this set early on in numerous ways. The question I have with the set is how high the ceiling will be later. Honestly, with the way many of you have defended the Ghostbusters brand, the ceiling might be higher than I originally thought.

Really a good question is to which theme it will belong? At S&H side there is only the tag 'New' for this set. Therefore I assume that still LEGO itself doesn't know it.

It could be a modular building, but it is a licensed one and based on an existing building.

It could be a  Creator model as VW or MINI are - tehre is an exisiting model behind, but a car not a building.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2015, 3:14:29, Locutus001 said:

Eh... both are cult. Period.

They're both good movies, but I don't consider either one of them cult.  They were both super popular hits when released.  Sure there is a cult following of these movies, but the movie itself I wouldn't consider cult.  That's like saying every Marvel movie about an Avengers character is cult because there certainly is a strong cult following for each.  This is all just pop culture.  BTTF and GB are big pop culture movies of the 80s.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sharky1999 said:

They're both good movies, but I don't consider either one of them cult.  They were both super popular hits when released.  Sure there is a cult following of these movies, but the movie itself I wouldn't consider cult.  That's like saying every Marvel movie about an Avengers character is cult because there certainly is a strong cult following for each.  This is all just pop culture.  BTTF and GB are big pop culture movies of the 80s.

Nope.

1 hour ago, mauro23 said:

Really a good question is to which theme it will belong? At S&H side there is only the tag 'New' for this set. Therefore I assume that still LEGO itself doesn't know it.

It could be a modular building, but it is a licensed one and based on an existing building.

It could be a  Creator model as VW or MINI are - tehre is an exisiting model behind, but a car not a building.

Why do you think it matters which theme it belongs to? Just curious.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎24‎:‎51‎, stephen_rockefeller said:
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎19‎:‎18‎, mauro23 said:

Why do you think it matters which theme it belongs to? Just curious.

Some people are pretty anal about collecting all of a certain theme... Especially the Cuuso/Ideaz theme!

2 hours ago, Locutus001 said:

Nope.

Totally valid point you have there.  What was I thinking. You're absolutely right.

Anyone that can't come to grips that both these movie franchises have completely jumped the shark and are mainstream pop culture are kidding themselves.  There's nothing cult about these movies nor their fan following.  Heck, the simple fact that we have toys made for these franchisees by the largest toy company in the world proves it.

6 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

I've been trying to figure out all week why people get so butthurt when other people dont agree with their opinion........it must be an internet thing because in real life this debate is a non issue:geek:

In real life, Ghostbusters is a non issue.  STAR WARS on the other hand...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I agree. There will be opportunities to make money off this set early on in numerous ways. The question I have with the set is how high the ceiling will be later. Honestly, with the way many of you have defended the Ghostbusters brand, the ceiling might be higher than I originally thought.

Super Hereos have a real double-whammy applied to them.  Knock-offs haven't really impacted prices for stuff like Deadpool, Iron Patriot, or even Darth Revan in the Star Wars theme.  Remakes in the Super Heroes and heroes re-released in new sets have made the most impact on their aftermarket prices.