75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

Ok, bored with all this. Both films have cult audiences that are a % of those of SW or even Disney Princesses.

Isn´t it weird that Lego chose to make such a big set for an inexistent theme when SW fans (and maybe even a few Princess fans) would be crying out for a large scale UCS model or playset?

The Helicarrier was just about logical as super Heroes can be quite popular in some countries, Ninjago Temple less so as it goes out of the range of most parents´ budgets for a narrower appeal theme, but now this?

Perhaps it is a sign that there will be some more big sets for main themes in the near future but I´m still not getting my head around it.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

You have to factor in transport costs from the warehouse but in that case there is no good reason why EIRE has cheaper prices than mainland Europe, for instance. Maybe they apply the Big Mac price index and base it on average income levels, That or the dartboard method.

Stop picking on us, the Danes like us, that's why we get cheap Lego  :)

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎08‎:‎26‎, Crustybeaver said:
Although the attached image of the GB HQ is a MOC it's clear to see how it doesn't take much to seamlessly integrate it with other Creator Modulars.

Cool picture. But for $350, it should be twice the size of a regular Modular, shouldn't it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

I loved GB as a kid but I have to say I came across it on netflix the other day and tried to watch it, got 30 mins into it............horrible!! Its not as iconic as some of yall want it to be ;)

This is exactly what happened to me. Except the "loved it as a kid" part.

I don't get why Lego decided to make this either. Maybe because Ecto 1 was selling so well? But they should have known that a lot of Ecto's buyers are resellers. 

Edited by legone3

18 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Cool picture. But for $350, it should be twice the size of a regular Modular, shouldn't it?

Yes, the small pieces certainly give an appearance of lacking value. However appeal may not be just limited to die-hard GB fans. Technically it's another expert building and we know how successful they've been on the secondary market.

3 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

Isn´t it weird that Lego chose to make such a big set for an inexistent theme when SW fans (and maybe even a few Princess fans) would be crying out for a large scale UCS model or playset?

That. There are so many other, large possibilities with larger audiences, that are not buildings that have to compare to modulars (price-wise). Just imagine an USS Enterprise or Deep Space Nine model for example. That I can imagine for $400 with that many pieces.

8 hours ago, exciter1 said:

If we could just get some Rambo sets.

didn't you hear? another new theme based on popular 80's flick

- coming in 2017...  RAMBO.. FIRST BLOOD.  _THEY_ drew first blood.  Not me.

4 sets 

DRIVE OUT OF TOWN

MOTORCYCLE ESCAPE

CAVE BATTLE

GAS STATION EXPLOSION

img_0163.jpg

• Like 3

It doesn't look as if many are considering the value of 12 exclusive minifigs (if you count the ghosts).

I could build the typical Modular minifigs with spare parts lying around the house - they add no real value to the sets.

When you consider the immediate value of these 12 minifigs - the set is priced too low.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

I have a theory.

The Ecto 1 is retired, and we have photographic proof ALREADY.

Let me explain.

The Ecto 1 has several printed Ghostbuster signs on a 2x2 panel with a modified back piece.

The GBHQ sign is a 2x2 panel without the modified back. 

Why wouldn't they just use the existing 2x2 panel if it was readily available and already in production for the foreseeable future? It's already designed, and factories are cranking them out as we speak.

Because they don't plan on making the panel with modified back any longer.

On the left most sign you can see the modified back.

lego-ghostbusters-printed-tiles-logo-ect

I could be wrong, but that looks like a FLAT 2x2 tile with no sloping back.

1493026998500703299.jpg

30 minutes ago, KShine said:

It doesn't look as if many are considering the value of 12 exclusive minifigs (if you count the ghosts).

I could build the typical Modular minifigs with spare parts lying around the house - they add no real value to the sets.

When you consider the immediate value of these 12 minifigs - the set is priced too low.

Nobody buys Modulars for the minifigures, they buy them because they are works of art, and are now a long running series.  While I doubt you're referring to me directly, I did point out that by breaking down this set, there's definitely value here, and the minifigures, exclusive at that, add to the value.  I just don't see many people down the line wanting this for $700, which is what I would need to sell it for, at a minimum, to make it worth my while.  I don't have time to flip stuff, so I look for good long term investments.  This does not fall into that category for me.  We can agree to disagree on what we think this will do long term, and that's cool, that's what we're here for.  Thought out conversation is needed more here.  I still want to see the interior to get a better feel for what work Lego really put into this set.

7 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

Also is it confirmed that this opens up like the HH? Now I look closer, it looks more like a modular style, where each floor lifts off. If this is a modular it will be massively popular.

To me, it's pretty obvious it opens up like a modular due to the ring in between the two levels of windows built with plates instead of bricks.  That's a pretty good tell of a layer of tiles for separation.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

I have a theory.

The Ecto 1 is retired, and we have photographic proof ALREADY.

Let me explain.

The Ecto 1 has several printed Ghostbuster signs on a 2x2 panel with a modified back piece.

The GBHQ sign is a 2x2 panel without the modified back. 

Why wouldn't they just use the existing 2x2 panel if it was readily available and already in production for the foreseeable future? It's already designed, and factories are cranking them out as we speak.

Because they don't plan on making the panel with modified back any longer.

On the left most sign you can see the modified back.

I could be wrong, but that looks like a FLAT 2x2 tile with no sloping back.

Easy answer. The designer thought it would be easier to make the sign using two 2x2 flat tiles slapped together with black hooks.  Afterall, this sign needed to hang on that black pole.  Using modified piece would make the sign thicker and not as aesthetically pleasing

Or... the designer just had not met his/her quota of stickers in expensive sets, thus had to add the stickers to "complete" the set

5 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

I loved GB as a kid but I have to say I came across it on netflix the other day and tried to watch it, got 30 mins into it............horrible!! Its not as iconic as some of yall want it to be ;)

Maybe your tastes have changed, but it's not horrible.  I still chuckle at the part at the start of the movie where the guy keeps getting shocked during his test session instead of the girl.

• Like 6

Of all the things LEGO could have done with a 4000+ piece expensive set, (of which there aren't very many) I find this a bit disappointing. I think once the new movie comes and goes, a lot of the recent GB hype will die down pretty quickly as these things tend to do nowadays. It's one for the GB fans. But for the rest of us.. I can see a lot of people not willing to spend that kind of cash on such an unremarkable set.

Investment wise... I like to guess how long before a set can 2xRRP and I would think there'll be many other large sets who hit that figure long before this.

But that's like, just my opinion man.

18 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I would like it even better if it exits quick at half off like the B-Wing and SSD did.

That could definitely be a possibility if it doesnt sell well, which I see a 50/50 chance of happening. The rumor was that town hall retired early because of the high price point and with this being even more expensive I can see it being a slow seller. I think some people over estimate the number of die hard GB fans that will shell out a car payment for a brick building.......unless the interior is absolutely amazing. I know it seems like its gonna be a huge seller but that might just be becaue we have alot of GB fanboys posting here ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KShine said:

Exclusive minifigures mean less and less these days unfortunately.  They will be copied weeks after release.

56 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Maybe your tastes have changed, but it's not horrible.  I still chuckle at the part at the start of the movie where the guy keeps getting shocked during his test session instead of the girl.

It was fun trying to explain to my kids why Bill Murray was letting the girl win.  They were very confused. I was cracking up the whole time too.

This is my favorite quote of the movie though:

il_340x270.689142361_6dgs.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Exclusive minifigures mean less and less these days unfortunately.  They will be copied weeks after release.

Still won't stop them selling for a premium. I don't personally break sets but figures that only appear once in pricey sets garner a lot more than standard figures, irrespective of imitations. Enthusiasts want original Lego.