75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

After reading most of this ridiculous thread seems to me that the people that are most upset about the price or the look/theme of this set are the "investors". Is it because the price is so high that you guys won't be able to by hundreds of the set and horde it for years hoping to make lots of money? I used to love coming on this site and reading the forums but lately it seems that most of you are just greedy snobs nowadays. And love to complain about everything.  The worst thing about this Ghostbusters headquarters set is following this thread. And the worst thing about brickpicker is how rude and greedy some of you have become. And then the complaints about piece count. Oh there are tons of pieces but they are small pieces. Lmao yeah well I'd rather have tons of tiny pieces than spending 400 bucks on an all gray star destroyer that has thousands less pieces and doesn't fit at all into a modular street. Not to mention most of the pieces are all gray. Or how bout a boring ass tower bridge set that has about half the number of pieces and has two builds that are exactly alike. Oh wait how bout that awesome maersk ship with all those great stickers? Yeah that set is way better to spend money on. Bet if the HQ was limited to only 10000 made you greedy pricks would be all over it!

Keep calm and build Lego...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I guess LEGO did some market research with the Prince of Persia, Lone Ranger, Cars, and Toy Story themes as well. It's a cool set, but let's not crown it an iconic set yet. $350 is a lot of money for the regular fan to dish out for a Fire Brigade on steroids.

I see your point there Ed, but 2 of those IPs were box office flops.  The hype was high on those, and as such served to be disappointing.  But if in general those are among the worst of the flops in all the lines Lego has released over the years, then honestly, they have been doing nothing short of base hits/doubles/triples/home runs and very few strike outs.

Guest brickcrazyhouse
15 minutes ago, agp548 said:

After reading most of this ridiculous thread seems to me that the people that are most upset about the price or the look/theme of this set are the "investors". Is it because the price is so high that you guys won't be able to by hundreds of the set and horde it for years hoping to make lots of money? I used to love coming on this site and reading the forums but lately it seems that most of you are just greedy snobs nowadays. And love to complain about everything.  The worst thing about this Ghostbusters headquarters set is following this thread. And the worst thing about brickpicker is how rude and greedy some of you have become. And then the complaints about piece count. Oh there are tons of pieces but they are small pieces. Lmao yeah well I'd rather have tons of tiny pieces than spending 400 bucks on an all gray star destroyer that has thousands less pieces and doesn't fit at all into a modular street. Not to mention most of the pieces are all gray. Or how bout a boring ass tower bridge set that has about half the number of pieces and has two builds that are exactly alike. Oh wait how bout that awesome maersk ship with all those great stickers? Yeah that set is way better to spend money on. Bet if the HQ was limited to only 10000 made you greedy pricks would be all over it!

you get this is a investing site right? so yea there will be nit picking of set as people decide how heavy to invest.  your post adds nothing but to let us know how you view other members.

I'm for sure buying one for myself and probably one for investment.   The buy in point is to big for me just like most of the larger sets but thats just my comfort level

And now we can all understand why we have a "No Guns Allowed" policy in LEGO forums (it can be just like an old time western saloon).

Yes, it can get ridiculous - but I think most everybody is just having fun with it (the nonsense threads tend to be the busiest).

Edited by KShine

1 hour ago, agp548 said:

Well you're absolutely right ^.^ And I like your post because as collector, investor and somebody who already loves this set ^.^ I can agree to almost everything you say haha

Anyhow: Brickpicker mainly is about investing so I guess it's not suprise that people heavily discuss about the investment potential.

This is an important point that needs to be discussed as only discussions like this one help other people to make their choices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agp548 said:

Greed is Good. 

1 hour ago, Locutus001 said:

Well you're absolutely right ^.^ And I like your post because as collector, investor and somebody who already loves this set ^.^ I can agree to almost everything you say haha

Anyhow: Brickpicker mainly is about investing so I guess it's not suprise that people heavily discuss about the investment potential.

This is an important point that needs to be discussed as only discussions like this one help other people to make their choices.

I too mostly agree with his post, except the insultingly worded "greedy pricks" which I found a bit overdone. :-P

When I left my Lego Dark Ages last August I initially thought about putting my dormant money from the bank (at 1% interest) into Lego which would most likely give me a much better ROI than the bank's interest rate. But my old love for Lego returned as well when the boxes of these beautiful sets started flowing into my house and I couldn't resist opening a few of them and actually building the awesome sets in them. 

Now I consider myself as both a Lego collector and (limited) Lego investor. I do need to sell (with profit) most of the sets I bought at sometime in the future, so I free up money again to buy additional and new awesome sets for my own collection. :-)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Haay said:

I too mostly agree with his post, except the insultingly worded "greedy pricks" which I found a bit overdone. :-P

When I left my Lego Dark Ages last August I initially thought about putting my dormant money from the bank (at 1% interest) into Lego which would most likely give me a much better ROI than the bank's interest rate. But my old love for Lego returned as well when the boxes of these beautiful sets started flowing into my house and I couldn't resist opening a few of them and actually building the awesome sets in them. 

Now I consider myself as both a Lego collector and (limited) Lego investor. I do need to sell (with profit) most of the sets I bought at sometime in the future, so I free up money again to buy additional and new awesome sets for my own collection. :-)

I guess all my extra money from LEGO investing goes right back into LEGO for my own collection ^.^

• Like 3

I can see why people are like meh - It's a sort of boring looking building to begin with but when you look at it, its  an EXACT replica of the building in the motion picture which is why it has appeal.

How wide that appeal is uncertain but with the price point comes scarcity and with scarcity comes profit following EOL.  Plus I'm imaging a really cool interior.  As Ed pointed out earlier, at the price point, the interior better be real and spectacular.

I think this is going to make the Fire Brigade look like a "Bike Shop" size creator set when placed in proximity to each other.

I think it is a mistake looking at this from an investing perspective as purely a "Ghostbusters" themed set.  

This is going to be the largest modular type building to date and guessing a shorter life span whether or not it is a big seller which i tend to doubt it will be.  post EOL even non-Ghostbuster modular building fans will want this.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 4

I find your avatar quite humorous after reading this. Need to take your own advice my friend.

3 hours ago, agp548 said:

I guess the designer of the set is a member here...cool.  No need for all of this.  I will consider it a "brain fart" and will move on.  On topic though, members on this site are usually accused of being overly optimistic on purchasing sets.  There is no harm on some constructive criticism of a set.  I for one wish they would have made it a 6000 piece set and did it with even more detail.  I appreciate diversity and think this set will do well and will display nicely in my office.  Is it the greatest set since the Taj Mahal, no, but it will probably sell well and be under constant watch from members.  

• Like 1

This sets automatically makes me think of seinfeld "the comeback" where george says its a smart line that smart people will appreciate and he isnt going to dumb it down for some bonehead mass audience!  Thats how i feel about this set....its a smart set that smart people will appreciate and lego isnt gonna dumb it down for some bonehead mass audience!

And i really am basing my opinion on the hope that the inside is very articulate, super fun, and nonrepetitive build.  To me, that inside will either make or break this set.  If they bring it on inside detail this set could be epic.  Fingers are crossed.

Once is see the inside I will cast my vote.  This is Lego investing.  I'm good with it.  Grown men buying toys to play with is a whole other subject that does not really matter.  I love ghostbusters, I'm 35, I make money and like to make more, Lego fits that bill for now.  Lego will screw this up at some point.  It is inevitable for a large corporation, they also are in it to make as much money as they can.  They want grown men playing with toys.  So it works.  People on here gotta get some perspective. 

11 minutes ago, waddamon said:

Once is see the inside I will cast my vote.  This is Lego investing.  I'm good with it.  Grown men buying toys to play with is a whole other subject that does not really matter.  I love ghostbusters, I'm 35, I make money and like to make more, Lego fits that bill for now.  Lego will screw this up at some point.  It is inevitable for a large corporation, they also are in it to make as much money as they can.  They want grown men playing with toys.  So it works.  People on here gotta get some perspective. 

I hope I misinterpreted your formulation and you're not really "mocking" AFOL.

Otherwise you should get some perspective I guess as this would be a very narrow-minded attitude.

The fact that films like Back To The Future or Ghostbusters are still remembered to this day despite so little of any advertising for either over the years compared to the constant in your face franchising of Star Wars to me says more about how good those are by comparison. In some ways I wonder if Star Wars would be as popular today with the current generation if it wasn't for the merchandise always being refreshed. (I just saw a board game parody of "Loopin' Louie" called "Loopin' Chewie".) Trying to accurately scale the fan base for any of these film classics though is like trying to figure the exact (or close to) number of people presently living across the world.

This set for what has been seen from the outside is very faithful to the source material which was basically an old firehouse. It may not have been a fancy historic landmark of one but the structure worked and people do remember it as the Ghostbusters firehouse. The point of blandness could easily be made with the older modular house sets in particular the Fire Brigade which was a simple two story firehouse but that did not need to be fancy for what it was. The price on the Ghostbusters HQ set is high and double of a standard modular house however the amount of parts included has also been doubled (small or not). I imagine roughly 2,000 of those went into the facade and characters with the rest detailing the interior which must have every tiny nook & cranny realistically detailed. (The Haunted House only had 2,064 pieces looking great from the outside while the interior was very minimal.)

In any case, I eagerly await the Designer video showing off the fantastic interior to match the brilliant exterior.

• Like 6

I find it interesting that those who don't fancy this set are merely stating their opinions, be it the exterior design, piece count, price point etc.

On the other hand, a few chaps on the other side of the crowd simply cannot accept that there can be people who will not like this set. Names are called, emotions run high.

• Like 1