10197 - Fire Brigade

Spartikis

I'd be very cautious about investing in modulars. Like others have mentioned, the days of gaining BIG on modulars are behind us. You probably can put your money in better sets, and besides...Who knows how long the modulars will be out? They could be in production for the next 3-4 years, for all we know.

I think that the days of modulars retiring are over. I mean there are what 4 or 5 of them out now and not one of them is looking like it is close to going away. Modulars are pretty much like the death star. very popular and not going away.

I agree. The Death Star has been on the market for about 6 years now. The Fire Brigade is at about 5 years. If the FB does not retire it will be like the Death Star.

LOL, the FB doesn't already qualify as production time like the DS?  :shocked: High standards Martin.  :queen:

High standards indeed. Now, IMO, I think TLG should rename the Death Star to the Life Star. From what I can see, it ain't going anywhere any time soon. Now I have to think of a new name for the FB when it passes the six year mark. This one is going to be tougher.

I really appreciate all of your opinions. I'm new here, it really helps. However, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm assuming that all modulars will be very collectible, seeing as they are built to be combined unlike normal lego sets which are more seperate. People will want to have all of them, and I don't see Fire Brigade doing any worse than Green Grocer in the far future. Much slower growth, for sure, but I'd bet for a pretty decent peak.

I really appreciate all of your opinions. I'm new here, it really helps. However, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm assuming that all modulars will be very collectible, seeing as they are built to be combined unlike normal lego sets which are more seperate. People will want to have all of them, and I don't see Fire Brigade doing any worse than Green Grocer in the far future. Much slower growth, for sure, but I'd bet for a pretty decent peak.

Cool. I think you have some great evidence to back up your hypothesis there. In fact, there really is ZERO information that tells us that the current modulars won't do as well as the GG, Market Street, or CC sets. We're speculating. Sorry, I think some of our "investors side" weighed in a bit much. 

I agree somewhat. I think it will reach a decent peak, but it will take a long while to do so.

Keep in mind with anything you spend money on, you're incurring an Opportunity Cost. Spend $300 on Fire Brigades, you no longer have that $300 to spend on something else.

I agree that all the modulars will continue to be worth much more than their original price at SOME point after they retire because they make up an irresistible "set". But a $150 set that's worth $300 two years after retirement is completely different, opportunity cost wise, than a $150 set that's worth $300 four years after retirement. Or six years. Etc.

I have no idea at all how FB will perform immediately after or soon after or way way after retirement, but opportunity cost is something I try to take into account any time I spend money, investing and otherwise

• Like 1

I would say you and me are somewhat on the same page of going against the general tide in opinion. I don't think Fire Brigade will see the same kind of gains from Cafe Corner or Market Street or even quite as high as Green Grocer because the first two were, well, the first to ever come out and Green Grocer is just a nicer more desirable build, but in the end you never know for sure.

Even though some people are not into city type sets, they still are attracted to the modular houses and I can relate. They are amazingly detailed and one heck of a build experience. Yes, many people are holding onto some Fire Brigades but it isn't just because of how the past three modulars went. I'm sure in some way they like it themselves. As you said, the modular houses are one of those where it is difficult to only buy one to build for your collection. Every now and again, we hear of someone buying that one or two they missed to complete their collection (or just to build).

Something else to consider, if one these days Lego does go ahead and create a Police Precinct modular, we could see a spike in desirability for its older firehouse brother. I remember someone mentioned on having the Town Hall with a Fire Brigade on one side and a police station (if and when it happens) on the other.

I would stay far, far away from purchasing multiple Fire Brigades as investments.  There are much better ways to spend your money on Lego right now.  For example you could spend $600 on 4 Fire Brigades and hope they retire this year.  Even if they do retire there are sooooo sooooo many people holding these right now that it's going to take a long time before we see serious gains, and we may never see serious gains (by serious gains I mean doubling/tripling in value). 

Take that $600 and buy some rare polybags that will most likely double or triple in value over time, or buy some Super Heroes sets that will be retiring soon.  The Super Hero sets will definitely jump up in value, look at what has happened with the recently retired Captain America set and the recently retired Batman set.  Or take the $600 and buy yourself 6 Winter Village Cottages, those will do will in my opinion (great set that probably won't be overproduced like the Fire Brigade has been).

Some info on the site http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/evaluations/view/spotlight_on_lego_10197_fire_brigade Personally I think the modular building make the best ROI due to their broad appeal to the AFOL and their small box size. Possibly more appealing than Star Wars which is more male interest. Looking at the reviews of the modulars on Lego.com there are some over 45s enjoying this, who are probably pushing up the prices. We know this model is not in the latest catalogue which is a sure sign it's out of production. One of the modulars suddenly disappeared (market town) a few years ago so I will be buying a few this month if I can find the space. Regretting buying so much Harry Potter now.

I would rather have 6 Hogwarts then the 6 Fire Brigades I am sitting on...

Any takers?

My stores say they are no longer stocking the FB or GE because of shelf space. But they said that about Helms Deep 4 months ago, so who knows how long the modulars will be available at LEGO Shop at Home. I have a hunch emazers is right, anyway I plan to buy at least one of each for my collection before xmas.

Seriously hope something, anything, eols this winter. I've been here since Jan and at this point lego retirement seems like a myth.

My stores say they are no longer stocking the FB or GE because of shelf space. But they said that about Helms Deep 4 months ago, so who knows how long the modulars will be available at LEGO Shop at Home. I have a hunch emazers is right, anyway I plan to buy at least one of each for my collection before xmas.

Seriously hope something, anything, eols this winter. I've been here since Jan and at this point lego retirement seems like a myth.

yeah my store hasent stocked FB or GE for quite some time.

The FB,GE, Technics 8110 Unimog are retiring end of the year, as for the Helms Deep still around, well its retiring at the end of the year to, You know Lego is going to make sure they still have sets to sell for the Christmas Holiday. As for the SW 7965 Falcon, the bad news here is that Lego wants to keep this around to about 2015, which makes me have the blues as I have tons of these, we will see.

The FB,GE, Technics 8110 Unimog are retiring end of the year, as for the Helms Deep still around, well its retiring at the end of the year to, You know Lego is going to make sure they still have sets to sell for the Christmas Holiday. As for the SW 7965 Falcon, the bad news here is that Lego wants to keep this around to about 2015, which makes me have the blues as I have tons of these, we will see.

Ed, how are you certain on the retirement of the FB and GE?