10197 - Fire Brigade

Spartikis

Haven't seen the FB in store for at least 3 months.  It had the retiring soon sign on and they were goneso.  The stray ones that showed up on shipment were put behind the register with no shelve space.  TLG needs to take FB along with DS and Orc Forge to the woodshed and shoot it once and for all.  

• Like 1

My 2 Lego stores both have the FB still rotting away on the shelves.  Every year this time at least one of the modular goes in and out of stock on LEGO Shop at Home.  Last year it was the Grand Emporium.  At one point the GE was listed as 'Sold Out' and there was a mass panic among investors.  I'm done buying FB until Lego officially declares it as retired.  Way too many people have been buying this set and hoarding it since 2009.  There are much better investments out there right now (and many of these sets are actually going to retire this year)........but will the FB retire?  I hope so, but I've been hoping so since summer/fall of 2011 and it just never seems to disappear.

Well at least we know The Orc Forge is going out, Lego has it listed as 'Retiring Soon'.  Since LEGO Shop at Home has started listing certain sets as retiring soon they've always followed through and retired those sets.  Even though the Vampyre Castle isn't listed as retiring soon I expect it to disappear this holiday season or shortly after.  Those 2 sets are prime examples of better investments than the FB right now.  Just my 2 cents.....

No doubt it`s on the way out. We`re into 5 years of Fire Brigade, time for it to put up its feet and enjoy retirement. You`ve deserved it FB. On that note, I still haven`t bought one for me yet!  :resent:

I just bought my first with three $10 TRU coupons from last week to bring it down to $120.  I couldn't wait any longer.  I hope to pick up one more at the LEGO Shop at Home cyber Monday sale, but then that will be it.

I just bought my first with three $10 TRU coupons from last week to bring it down to $120.  I couldn't wait any longer.  I hope to pick up one more at the LEGO Shop at Home cyber Monday sale, but then that will be it.

Nice! That`s a great deal. Were you looking to build, or strictly to invest?

No doubt it`s on the way out. We`re into 5 years of Fire Brigade, time for it to put up its feet and enjoy retirement. You`ve deserved it FB. On that note, I still haven`t bought one for me yet!  :resent:

Same with me. I have not got one for myself yet. Hopefully it stays available long enough to get one.

Nice! That`s a great deal. Were you looking to build, or strictly to invest?

I normally just buy to invest, but kids and wife sometimes can't handle all the unopened boxes I have, and we crack one open.  After building the Grand Emporium, it is pretty hard to not build it a neighbor on the block.  That is why I hoping to add a second.  It's the SSD that keeps calling me.  I don't know if I will be able to resist.

If the set does indeed retire soon it's going to be something to watch with huge interest.  It will really be the first major set and first modular to retire since the investing boom and the changes in Lego retail shelf lives like we see these days.  Having so many of these sets out there in peoples closets, plus bigger investors putting many dozen away means the supply will be huge.

The demand will also be big for sure as it's a popular set in it's own right.  But will the demand exceed supply and push the price up?  Wondering what the initial price spike will look like as well though as we may see some sort of sharp increase then drop as re-sellers buy up sets on the secondary market straight away jumping on the bandwagon.  I'll have my popcorn ready  :popcorn: 

The Fire Brigade has been moving units at $150 dollars each for four years. It's popular. Supply after retirement may not be so copious as one would think. Sure it has a four year life, but that doesn't mean people have been investing that long. When it was 2 1/2 years old, were you still buying? Once it bucked the trend for eol, investment surely decreased. I don't know because I was still in my Dark Ages when this set had already outstayed its welcome. But I know not many of us are scooping them up now. Raise your hand if you've bought a Fire Brigade since Jan 2013 and it's still sealed: 1,2,3... That's only like 11 guys. Boom! 3 year investment lifespan for 10197, not four.

So we're really only going to see supply from those guys who were investing 2+ years ago. And probably a few of them have already cut their losses and moved on. How many do they have? I bet they don't have enough to keep it selling for $150...

EDIT: I do remember Ed saying there are more FBs in Brickfolios than any other set. So I agree with Grolim, we may see a spike and a drop in the first year... An even trade for the extra years on the shelf. After that it will probably follow in the footsteps of its friends. At least halfway, anyway... The biggest threat to the growth of retired modulars is the new modulars. It's gonna be hard for the Brigade to compete with the Parisian Restaurant.

Guest eightbrick

This set has been available an eternity in LEGO production time. If anyone wants it to stick around longer so you can pick one up, I'd suggest you pick one up sooner than later.

Sound advice. Just haven't been able to pull the trigger for two hundred Canadian.Probably going to try to trade for one once the classifieds go up.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm going to buy more of these after EOL, not before... Why?  That's because of suspected over-supply in the after-market where desperate/nervous resellers offload them cheap to cut their losses.  Those who expect Green Groceresque returns are going to disappointed in the short/medium term.  This is a good guinea-pig set to see if it's worth my while to continue to invest in modulars or not.  With 20,000 members on here, I suspect that there's at least 50,000 FBs in BP brickfolios plus 100,000s more with investors that don't bother joining these forums.  This is the same reason why I really regret buying Tower Bridges now.

I'm going to buy more of these after EOL, not before... Why?  That's because of suspected over-supply in the after-market where desperate/nervous resellers offload them cheap to cut their losses.  Those who expect Green Groceresque returns are going to disappointed in the short/medium term.  This is a good guinea-pig set to see if it's worth my while to continue to invest in modulars or not.  With 20,000 members on here, I suspect that there's at least 50,000 FBs in BP brickfolios plus 100,000s more with investors that don't bother joining these forums.  This is the same reason why I really regret buying Tower Bridges now.

There won't be Grocerisque returns but that is a set the outperforms most. It only needs to go up by 10% p.a. to outperform all Banks, and a lot of stocks.

Another set that was around for years and I follow is 10193. This went EOL exactly a year ago and the price immediately rose by 30% and stuck around

• Like 1