10197 - Fire Brigade

Spartikis

Guest TabbyBoy

Could this be the big cull on modulars that we've been waiting for?  I know we have to wait for the after(black)market to establish and for the weak and impatient to bail out early.  I'm looking forward with bated breath as I have Pet Shops and a lot of Grand Emporiums.  I wasn't here last year, was that the same?

I dont understand people saying "no profit", if u got FB last year or earlier this year for 119.99 u can sell it for profit already...eBay price starts 179.99 and up....

Not everyone gets to buy At the lowest price point. And by profit, I think the appropriate yardstick is to benchmark to official price. Anyway, i think the price will stagnant for some time, but over long run will still make money as the modular has longevity so long as lego continues to develop new modular buildings every year. Now we need hoarders to sell their sets to people who actually will open the boxes and build the set.

I think you guys are underestimating the depth and demand for discontinued Lego sets. 4842 more than doubled in a year flat selling over a thousand new and used sets on ebay alone. That's just ebay, throw in amazon, bricklink, craiqslist and other selling venues and you have a set that is right now defying any kind of bubble talk. I'm going out on limb here, if Fir Brigade discountinues this year, it will be an easy double by next year Christmas.

• Like 1

I think you guys are underestimating the depth and demand for discontinued Lego sets. 4842 more than doubled in a year flat selling over a thousand new and used sets on ebay alone. That's just ebay, throw in amazon, bricklink, craiqslist and other selling venues and you have a set that is right now defying any kind of bubble talk. I'm going out on limb here, if Fir Brigade discountinues this year, it will be an easy double by next year Christmas.

I don't see it doubling, but I see between 240 and 260 by November of next year.  Time will tell.

Hogwarts 4842 retailed for $129.99 US its already more than a double a year later. I see Fire Brigade already selling on ebay for more than its US retail like Hogwarts did pre-Xmas, once it EOL's the panic starts and that will push it immediately into a higher price band from where it will trend higher - permanently. I could care less if resllers hold 10000 or 20000 sets, this set will follow 4842 in percentage gains. Again, you guys are totally underestimating the size of this market. It is a lot bigger than most of you realize, Fire Brigade will be the litmus test proving this out.

Hogwarts 4842 retailed for $129.99 US its already more than a double a year later. I see Fire Brigade already selling on ebay for more than its US retail like Hogwarts did pre-Xmas, once it EOL's the panic starts and that will push it immediately into a higher price band from where it will trend higher - permanently. I could care less if resllers hold 10000 or 20000 sets, this set will follow 4842 in percentage gains.Again, you guys are totally underestimating the size of this market. It is a lot bigger than most of you realize, Fire Brigade will be the litmus test proving this out.

Good point. Liqudity comes and goes it's can leave just as quickly. 4842 had around 400k-600k USD exchange hands last year, it's not a lot of $$ in the grand scheme of things. It'll be interesting how it plays out with FB. For those that wants one for their collection, it's time to get one before it's too late. It might be too late to buy find 10-15 to build your stash though.

10197 was out ALOT longer than 4842. You cannot compare apples to oranges. Compare percentage gains on 10193 to get an accurate estimator of where 10197 will end up. Anyone who wanted this set has it already. It is not going to be pretty unless you got them for around $100 a few years ago.

10197 was out ALOT longer than 4842. You cannot compare apples to oranges. Compare percentage gains on 10193 to get an accurate estimator of where 10197 will end up. Anyone who wanted this set has it already. It is not going to be pretty unless you got them for around $100 a few years ago.

$90 to $140 and trending higher in less than a year and that is somehow investment fail? The second last sold listing 10193 was for $156 with 27 bidders. Buy it Now is trending to $150. A couple more bux and its a double bagger in a little over a year. For a set that seems to get harped on by the "oh but it was out to long" crowd it seems to be doing pretty good. This market is way deeper and broader than any of you realize. Its global, and that movie next year is only gonna make it that much bigger.

Well 10193 was $100 RRP. Yes I would say it is a fail. After 1 year it has managed a 40% gain. After fees that is 20%. Maybe some consider that a fine profit. Less than 100% is not good IMO but that is just me. 10197 will sit around $200 for a long while. As I said good if you bought it at $100, fail if you paid $150. Folks dreaming of 4842 returns for 10197 are kidding themselves.

I have known him for a few years, and have been to his house. So, I have seen the 105 first hand. You walk into his house and lego sets are stacked from floor to ceiling. There is no dry wall to be seen! LoL! I don't even know what color his walls are!

:blink: Seeing a hundred of any set let alone a big one like Fire Brigade must be a rather awe inspiring sight. Let's just hope Lego doesn't find out they have a 'hoarder' among their ranks. Ha ha. :cheese:

I read "Call to check for product availability" which at this time of the year with holiday spending and whatnot can simply mean online reserves are low. Still one can always hope things carry through and Lego finally douses the Fire Brigade once and for all. I am optimistic about potential albeit slow growth despite personal feelings toward the set as I am not really into firefighters that much. I'm more of a cop guy honestly.

I've checked the online shops and bricks and mortar shops closeby - those who have no FB in stock confirm not to be able to restock. No orders taken, unlike on other sets 

So I would guess EoL - would be nice for everybody and give a boost to Parisian Rest.

:blink: Seeing a hundred of any set let alone a bit one Fire Brigade must be a rather awe inspiring sight. Let's just hope Lego doesn't find out they have a 'hoarder' among their ranks. Ha ha.

Well he cannot sell Lego as a lego employee, but when he quits he can. He is in at $100 ea on those FB's. I just think $ would have been better spent in his case.

After seeing that the FB is now "Sold Out" on LEGO Shop at Home USA, I believe that the retirement of the set is finally coming. I see this because the next modular, the Parisian Restaurant will be coming out on January 1, 2014. IF the FB does retire it will be interesting to see what happens since it would be the third modular to retire after the Cafe Corner and the Green Grocer which had great returns.