Star Wars 2016

fossilrock

Just speculating that this might also lead to a big Star Wars set.

"There is a huge vehicle coming for the Fall. Right now, it's loosely described (in code perhaps) as a 3.75" Star Wars Signature Set and will retail somewhere between $289.99 and $299.99. It may or may not come with pack-in figures, but that information is sketchy at the moment. Our sources strongly believe that it's possible this could be an AT-AT vehicle (as leaked by Toy Ark around Toy Fair) while others have suggested a playset like the Death Star (but that could be a stretch). Whatever it is, it's honestly a little bit early fuzzy to lock down at the moment. No matter what it is, it is certainly expensive and hopefully will be HUGE."

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17557/#details

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lordoflego said:

Looked at last 4-5 pages but didn't see official images anywhere in this forum so here are pics I found on line...

Thanks for the update, I think it was posted here long ago but with low resolution images. I like the sets, especially the Twin Ion Engine A Wing combo. Very similar to one of the first SW sets from 1999 with a TIE and a Y wing combo. Will those dishes be included as a minifig stand? When I compare the X wing with my Poe's, it looks like they are identical, except that FLAK thingy!?

Found some answers for minifig base and replica @Haay and @CoastaLego.

Edited by BoomBoomFlash

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 1:13 PM, Lordoflego said:

Looked at last 4-5 pages but didn't see official images anywhere in this forum so here are pics I found on line...

I will get all of these but the scavenger. Don't have a tie advance, a wing or tank yet and want them. 75148 might wait a bit but want the unkar Platt fig.

Also like the blue xwing and some of those figures to recreate that scene. 

I like the TIE Advanced vs A-Wing, the Resistance X-Wing (since that's what I was expecting the first time), and Encounter on Jakku.

Star Scavenger does nothing for me.  I don't think a lot of people will know the origin of this set.  That could help investment-wise, though.

On 4/9/2016 at 3:52 PM, thoroakenfelder said:

My magic 8 ball says, remember the yoda chronicles sets.

There's so many sets Star Wars sets being released right now, that gauging what to buy is becoming a tougher game.  Since, 2011 the number of sets being released in a year has doubled.  Back then it was in the upper 20's, now it hovers around the mid 50's to upper 60's.  It's almost to the point where you can expect 60 star wars sets (of varying degrees) being released per year.  Unless you have a 50,000 square foot home, the average collector will be more and more selective.  I think over time, this diminishes the Star Wars brand, and the spike and almost easy doubling to trippling of a sets worth will decline as the years go on.  But, then again, you just never know.  Who would have guessed, all the sets that recently retired from 2013 to 2014 would have skyrocketed up in value?  Over the last few years, only the Jabba sets really haven't gone anywhere.  Everything else seems to have gone up.  Rebels sets seem to have demand, and so do many other sets.  Will rebels sets still have that demand 3 years from now once the show ends?  Tough to say.  By then, I think people will move on.  With a new film a year, a tv series with 20 episodes, and these offshoot shows like this new lego chronicle that will also have sets, there's a lot of oversaturation going on right now.

Do I need, or want two different x-wings?  Not really.  Do I need a set that just has one new minifigure in it, but is overall an underwhelming experience?  No.  I think Lego would be wiser to cut back on the number of sets being produced, but up the number of minifigures in these sets.  Just my opinion.  

are you talking about this?

blowing-bubbles-small-113406397_0.jpg

What I meant was that Jek-14's Starfighter and the Jedi Scout Fighter haven't gone anywhere after retirement. Most of the EU stuff doesn't seem to move from the starting block. If you take a larger view, sure you can see the brand dilution in things like microfighters and constraction figures. Double dipping the X-Wing this year seems more like a lack of options to support the new film than brand dilution. The business need to always be growing is going to drive them to lean super heavily on a cornerstone property. Hopefully they can pull back and do some damage control before collectors just give up on completing their collections.

It's going to be an adjustment period as a new film comes out each year and they have other associated products to support TV or games or whatever.

Lego are likely in a difficult position.   No doubt they’re contractually obligated to support Disney with releasing sets to coincide with major releases and new IP, across a mix of price ranges.  As well as having a need to continue to support fans with the re-release of OT and other fan favourite sets and figs. Don’t produce them and secondary market prices take over.   Shorter lifespans means larger design and tooling costs.   

Sure things like the first order snowspeeder and the double x-wings with Poe doesn’t make a lot of sense, but I wonder how much control they had over the TFA sets they needed to release prior to the movie release.  

6 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I don't count Constructables or Microfighters.  That's 20 right there.

Still leaves around 40 sets, compared to the mid 20's from a few years back.  There's now an added wave each year with the Force Friday sets, which is as big as the traditional summer wave sets.

7 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

are you talking about this?

What I meant was that Jek-14's Starfighter and the Jedi Scout Fighter haven't gone anywhere after retirement. Most of the EU stuff doesn't seem to move from the starting block. If you take a larger view, sure you can see the brand dilution in things like microfighters and constraction figures. Double dipping the X-Wing this year seems more like a lack of options to support the new film than brand dilution. The business need to always be growing is going to drive them to lean super heavily on a cornerstone property. Hopefully they can pull back and do some damage control before collectors just give up on completing their collections.

It's going to be an adjustment period as a new film comes out each year and they have other associated products to support TV or games or whatever.

I agree that the Force Awakens line is running out of material, although I do think they could have made things a little more exciting.  I think Maz Kanata's castle is one set, i'd have rather seen flushed out more, with a lot more minifigures added in.  Maybe they will have a large UCS style Maz Kanata's castle down the line..

Personally, this summer wave leaves me cold..  The Unkar Plutt set is kind of interesting, but it's like the Maz set in that I wish it had a little more to it, and wish they added a few more minifigures. I guess, its close to the Cantina set from a few years back, but that set was minifigure heavy, while this set isn't. Lego seems to be creating more sets but putting less mini's in them.  I don't know if I like this practice, and think they should instead focus on adding more minis, but making less sets.

Although, i'm sure the Rogue One sets will have their share of awesomeness, and i'll probably ****** up the entire line before christmas. 

Lots of Star Wars sets could mean brand dilution, but it likely means more opportunity for hidden gems. Don't underestimate the rabid nature of the Star Wars fan especially those late to the LEGO collecting game who are also completionists.

With that said some of the summer sets look like stinkers.

29 minutes ago, Steve Brule said:

Lots of Star Wars sets could mean brand dilution, but it likely means more opportunity for hidden gems. Don't underestimate the rabid nature of the Star Wars fan especially those late to the LEGO collecting game who are also completionists.

With that said some of the summer sets look like stinkers.

There have been stinkers since the inception of LEGO SW. We just don't remember them, but if you look back, there are quite a few to be honest. That's why they are not remembered.

• Like 1