75105 - Millennium Falcon

shortyz

15 minutes ago, legoray01 said:

Just sold one at my garage sale for $140 and threw in a free mixel to seal the deal.  Considering I bought on  a TRU Thursday with a 20% stacked.   I will take it.

Hey Tigers fan.... 20 K's last night huh? :beerhat: crazy!

40 minutes ago, seth said:

Buy

Where did you get that offer?

Combination of coupons, bypassing regulations of special offers. Normally shops technically prevent the combination of multiple discounts. However, it's not a big deal, because the shop is more expensive in most cases. If there is a real bagain in future, i will post it in the forum.

27 minutes ago, Val-E said:

For investment wait. 80 euros is a maxer for this one so soon.

Throw my money on 71014 @ 2.99 € instead?

25 minutes ago, antics said:

Combination of coupons, bypassing regulations of special offers. Normally shops technically prevent the combination of multiple discounts. However, it's not a big deal, because the shop is more expensive in most cases. If there is a real bagain in future, i will post it in the forum.

Throw my money on 71014 @ 2.99 € instead?

Dunno but now is the worst time to buy a MF. The deals come later in the year and so does demand. I picked them up for less than 70 in previous years so that´s a benchmark.

2 hours ago, Nsheppard9101 said:

Shady stuff

I know you have mentioned this before but I would stay away from mentioning deals you get from shady sources. If it's too good to be true, and not available to the general public, you can bet it is either: a. fake or a scam, b. obtained by illegal means.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

I know you have mentioned this before but I would stay away from mentioning deals you get from shady sources. If it's too good to be true, and not available to the general public, you can bet it is either: a. fake or a scam, b. obtained by illegal means.

Yes, we'll probably have to start hiding these again to not associate the site with this activity.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello fellow BPs, I just came out of the closet as an AFOL and am fairly new to Lego collecting/investing.  I have done some seemingly dumb thing as a newb (like purchasing two 75054s for $190 and $185 on eBay last month).  But I'm learning.  Considering the 75105 is only 9 months old, and it can be purchased for $90-$100 on CL, is the general consensus here to buy now at that price and hold (perhaps 2-3 years?), or would the preference be to hold off on buying until just pre-EOL and hope for deep discounts/clearances from Lego.com and big box retailers?  I've read the Forum threads advising against tying up capital for 2-3 years.  But my thought is, if I leave say, $3000 in a bank CD, I'd be lucky to earn $30 in 3 years.  I'd rather have some fun with it and buy and sell Lego sets as I'm pretty sure, I'd earn >$30 doing so?  Thanks for sharing any thoughts on this.

I posted this same question at the discussion forum for 75102, because I really like the design of these two currently marketed SW sets...

That was my initial reason too, to start with LEGO investing/speculating. With interest on savings at the bank being below 1% it's not even hard to get a higher ROI on LEGO sets. 

But it also awoke the AFOL lurking inside me, waiting to make me come out of my LEGO Dark Ages. So now I'm both buying for myself, for my own collection, and to earn a higher interest in my savings. :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Rookie said:

@Haay Hartstikke bedankt!  So what would you do, purchase 75105 now at 67% RRP or wait until closer to EOL?

67% RRP means a 33% discount. It's better than I've ever seen it sold for here in The Netherlands. Currently Amazon Germany is selling it for ~ €116 which is about 28% discount on an RRP of €160. 

So 33% discount is already cheaper than what I paid for the 75105 last year when I bought one for myself (€121, or 24% discount). Oh well, c'est la vie. At the time I thought it was a really good deal, but I had just started with LEGO investing that time. What did I know about prices and how much discount is possible when you're patient? And that's where the experience of long-time Lego investors comes into play: knowing what discounts are feasable and when is the best time to strike. ;) 

Ultimately it's the gamble when you see a discount: is this the best deal I'll ever have on it, or will it get even more discounted? And if you wait too long you may not get that deal any longer and you'll finally have to buy at a higher price.

I'm sure every LEGO investor here has bought sets when they thought the discount wouldn't get any deeper, and then they saw the same set at an even higher discount a while later. Keep in mind that people love to show off and tell here about the awesome deal they scored, but will rather keep quiet about the mistakes they made. :P 

Returning to your question: should you purchase 75105 now at 67% RRP, is something you have to decide for yourself. Other Brickpickers here won't buy non-exclusives at less than 40% discount, but that's their choice/strategy. This set will not retire any time soon, but if you don't mind holding it for a few more years knowing you got it at a decent discount, then it may be worth it for you. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Haay said:

67% RRP means a 33% discount. It's better than I've ever seen it sold for here in The Netherlands. Currently Amazon Germany is selling it for ~ €116 which is about 28% discount on an RRP of €160. 

So 33% discount is already cheaper than what I paid for the 75105 last year when I bought one for myself (€121, or 24% discount). Oh well, c'est la vie. At the time I thought it was a really good deal, but I had just started with LEGO investing that time. What did I know about prices and how much discount is possible when you're patient? And that's where the experience of long-time Lego investors comes into play: knowing what discounts are feasable and when is the best time to strike. ;) 

Ultimately it's the gamble when you see a discount: is this the best deal I'll ever have on it, or will it get even more discounted? And if you wait too long you may not get that deal any longer and you'll finally have to buy at a higher price.

I'm sure every LEGO investor here has bought sets when they thought the discount wouldn't get any deeper, and then they saw the same set at an even higher discount a while later. Keep in mind that people love to show off and tell here about the awesome deal they scored, but will rather keep quiet about the mistakes they made. :P 

Returning to your question: should you purchase 75105 now at 67% RRP, is something you have to decide for yourself. Other Brickpickers here won't buy non-exclusives at less than 40% discount, but that's their choice/strategy. This set will not retire any time soon, but if you don't mind holding it for a few more years knowing you got it at a decent discount, then it may be worth it for you. 

Too soon to buy one for less tha 40% unless it´s for a personal build. Better deals will come on these sets in Q4.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Haay said:

Personally, I like to compare it to 7965 MF. I bought a few of those for 90 something euro.

So the deal currently at amazon.de for the 75105 MF comes close for me to pull the trigger. 

12 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

I am expecting this set to have 3-5 years product life. It may still be too early to pull the trigger.

3 years at the very most. There would almost certainly have to be a rehash with new figures in time for Episode 8 in Dec 2017.

Getting for 33% off this set is easy in the US. Simplest way to do it is to buy it in Thursday's from TRU to get the 10% discount from the TRU credit card, then use the 20% off coupons which pop up sporadically, and then pay a portion of it with a TRU gift card which you can get on eBay for 15% off from time to time. Depending on state taxes, you can bring down the all in cost to about $100 give a take a few dollars. I unfortunately bought several of these, but now which I had just waited longer. Was always fearful the 10% Thursday's and 20% off coupons would dry up, but that doesn't seem like it will be the case anytime soon.

At least it's not like IR. I have 6 of those and bought them all at an average buy in of $110. Now you can find them for $95. Oh well...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, meiamfan said:

Getting for 33% off this set is easy in the US. Simplest way to do it is to buy it in Thursday's from TRU to get the 10% discount from the TRU credit card, then use the 20% off coupons which pop up sporadically, and then pay a portion of it with a TRU gift card which you can get on eBay for 15% off from time to time. Depending on state taxes, you can bring down the all in cost to about $100 give a take a few dollars. I unfortunately bought several of these, but now which I had just waited longer. Was always fearful the 10% Thursday's and 20% off coupons would dry up, but that doesn't seem like it will be the case anytime soon.

At least it's not like IR. I have 6 of those and bought them all at an average buy in of $110. Now you can find them for $95. Oh well...

Here in The Netherlands we do not have a "TRU credit card". We also don't have discount coupons here. Nor do we have TRU gift cards which you can buy cheaper through eBay. So our options are rather limited and we can only look with jealousy at the high discounts people can get on LEGO in other countries. :P 

• Like 1

Newbie here, going hard or going home with the investing of these. (10k, gonna sit them in my spare room)

In australia the RRP is $249AUD.
There is a sale for $50 off, so its $195AUD, and I have a way to get gift vouchers for 8% off the value of the cards.
Any thoughts?

I am planning to get the sandcrawler 75059 at $398 but this set is my 2nd option if there is not enough stock during this sale. I've called around and there seems to be enough but only one store said they will hold a large amount for me.

Just looking for some thoughts?.

Other sets which are discounted are Poe's X-wing at $95AUD
Technic 72052 $149AUD.

But im still researching, all I can see so far is that star wars larger sets is usually a solid investment if time is not too much of a concern.