75920 - Raptor Escape

Jeff Mack

We're doing the dance.

Exactly!  This is nothing new...and a great sign for folks that have these.

C'mon guys, stop this wild non-sense. After reading tons of pages on JW thread and this thread, lots of people are saying this is BS! Lego can't be dumping all this money just to sell a line for a few months ;) ... there is no dance here... just appears to be a QC issue here that is causing a shortage of common parts for some of these sets that are TOOS. These will be in WM and TRU by the trailers for the holidays ;);) ;) ... and as for those T.Rex in WM that are on Clearance.... someone is gonna get fired for it ;)

Got 2 more Raptor Escapes from the LEGO store using VIP points.

so they also suckered you into this set?  I also picked up 3 more using $20 in VIPs. Ha

I know the Raptor molds costly to make but $40 for this set is insane.  So small.  Think about it...for another $10 more, you get the Raptor Rampage (2 raptors including Blue, 2 main movie chars, bike, etc...).  That is one of the reasons I'm not buying many of this set.  

Currently, I think resellers are the main reason for the spike in-demand and we might be stuck with these sets 2 years down the road because resellers won't be wanting more (ala Orc Forge and most other recent Walmart / target exlucives) 

• Like 1

C'mon guys, stop this wild non-sense. After reading tons of pages on JW thread and this thread, lots of people are saying this is BS! Lego can't be dumping all this money just to sell a line for a few months ;) ... there is no dance here... just appears to be a QC issue here that is causing a shortage of common parts for some of these sets that are TOOS. These will be in WM and TRU by the trailers for the holidays ;);) ;) ... and as for those T.Rex in WM that are on Clearance.... someone is gonna get fired for it ;)

I say fire everybody and start from scratch. ;) 

I'd take the bet that these aren't back in WM. I've been to seven--not a huge sample size--but none had shelf space dedicated to Jurassic World in the normal Lego section. The JW sets were either in a separate location, which screams of "seasonal only," or scattered willy-nilly throughout the area. Same with Target. With store resets getting ready for the fall/winter, I don't see JW having a place. That's what clearance is for. Retail works that way--and the "real estate" space on those shelves is valuable. There's a big difference between Mom n' Pop toy stores which can leave product on the shelves for years (an hence why many of them have closed in my lifetime), and big box retailers who count on refreshing their shelves often. Movie tie-ins come and go. On to the next. Maybe Lego hasn't operated this way in the past, but who's to say it won't now? I know I don't work for them, so I all I can say is I don't know

I'm not claiming "the dance" or anything like that. I just don't see RE back on the shelves in WM, either. JW is just different--no real home, half-a$$ed sets, a short media blitz and then done. Time will tell. 

Two things I do know: kids love dinosaurs and LEGO. 

Re: the future of JW at Walmart... I wonder if Walmart got their initial stock in, sold out quickly, the buyer called Lego and said, "Hey, we need that September restock to come in early." And Lego said, "Yeah... um... about that... we kinda gotta lotta stuff going on right now... new sets... Star Wars... and Christmas coming up... I don't think we're going to be able to get you your September restock before Christmas." So Walmart says, "What?! You can't even deliver that Walmart exclusive set we had on contract?  Do you know who you're talking to?... That cuts it.  We're done with the JW line.  I'm even authorizing all stores to put that ridiculously high priced I-Rex on sale, and we're clearing it all out... make some room for Megabloks or something..."  Now at this point, Lego might even had said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa... look we're very sorry... tell you what... we'll help you fill that space... we'll get you a container shipload of (insert alternative here... like creative boxes... or new Ninjago... or Friends... or Star Wars ... or ???)"

Possible?

My closest TRU just took down their big Minions display and took half the space for Lego City, Creator and the other half for Jurassic World. It was empty but there were 25+ Trex Trackers waiting to be setup that weren't there the day before.

I really just collect, but it's good to know what is scarce or soon to be scarce so that I don't miss out finding it at retail prices.  This same Walmart also had the Indominous Rex set clearanced at $99.  It's interesting how Walmarts differ even in the same area.

Lucky!! Wish I can stumble upon 10 at retail

Look around and you might get lucky.  I just returned all of the ones that I had purchased a few weeks ago.  Maybe the set goes or maybe it stays, but I decided that I have better ways to spend my money than chasing the ever-elusive early retirement.

Edited by redcell

Congrats. I would suggest looking at Wal-Mart app and just go through every Wal-Mart you are willing to drive to and do site to store. I did  a search off 100 sq miles and this has 4 major cities. I did site to store of one that had seven and found 11 more on shelf. Don't waste a drive unless you know they are there. 

Cory, I did that a few weeks ago..  I had to travel to 5 walmarts to get 10 and drove about 125 miles round trip.  I'm pretty savy on how to use the apps and i'm glad I did that then (when it was really a bigger "what if" than what it looks like today)..  Raptor Escape has been depleted in my area since early july, unless I want to drive 300 miles, which i'm not planning to do. Also, I did visit a few walmarts where they were supposed to be, and they were not there.. so that apps not always accurate.  

Edited by fossilrock

Nice!  If you don't mind me asking, approximately how many walmarts did you have to hit to get that amount?  

5 - i got lucky with one store that had 12.  most stores were 1-4 each.  

I find that the walmart app was poor for stock accuracy.

I found somewhat consistently that if the store allowed me to put in cart to buy, there were 2 additional sets on the shelves than the max number it would let me put in the cart.  thus even if the app says no can't put any in the cart, there still might be 2 sets on the shelf.  2 stores that i frequent showed none in stock on the app and in 1 store there was 1 on the shelf and in the other 2.

the walmart app for pricing is also totally inaccurate at least for me now, even when i'm in the store staring at the shelf tag which is lower.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1