75920 - Raptor Escape

Jeff Mack

I think it is foolish to spend a lot of time running around collecting 30 of these to make 150.00.  At best that is minimum wage.  I'm also not completely convinced these will be back in full force.  We shall see.

Hi Fossil, Some might think it's foolish to tell people how to spend their time running around. Sometimes it's best to quietly observe from afar while eating popcorn.
I'm also not convince the set will be back in full force but Lego having a 5 purchase limit is def interesting...

Hi Fossil, Some might think it's foolish to tell people how to spend their time running around. Sometimes it's best to quietly observe from afar while eating popcorn.

I'm also not convince the set will be back in full force but Lego having a 5 purchase limit is def interesting...

Some people like the hunt. Let 'em hunt, I say. Let 'em hunt. 

(And I'm not sure about "full force" either. Shipping in 2-3 weeks isn't exactly a EEE load. Jurassic park is done by 2016--just a hunch.)

Edited by biking_tiger

popcorn.jpg

Regardless whatever happens, i'm content with my stock that i've accumulated in regards to JW.  I didn't go full on deep, but spent enough to take a minor gamble. If the sets come back in full force, ohh well, I don't need to put anymore cash in this line, and can anxiously await Ep7 and move on.   If it goes away and has a few more minor restocks along the way only at lego.com, then that's fine too, because more than likely these sets could potentially go 3 to 4x what I paid for them, and that's after fees and shipping.  Let's face facts, lego shop@ home is a small site, and is not an amazon, walmart, or target.  I bet target, amazon and walmart get tens of thousands of sets to stock, while it seems LEGO Shop at Home only moves a few hundred at a time, as shown from the European numbers.  So, until these come back in all those stores, which from the rumblings from managers at most major retailers doesn't sound very probable, then I think it's safe to assume the last place to get them will be lego stores and LEGO Shop at Home.  That obviously plays into the hands of people on this site, but we shall see.

Like everything going on lately, until they get a retirement tag and all this plays out a few years from now, it's hard to say which way these go as an investment.  But, the film is released on October 17th, I believe .  ..  what happens up to that point will be a determining factor to how long these are on the market.  I also don't feel lego can satiate, let alone meet the demand for this line. 

I think it is foolish to spend a lot of time running around collecting 30 of these to make 150.00.  At best that is minimum wage.  I'm also not completely convinced these will be back in full force.  We shall see.

Where I live I sold 10 in one day for 75+ thats definitely not $5 profit per set. Dont know if the exchange rate is different where you live but 40$ set selling for 75+ is not bad. 

Edited by cory730
  • Like 1

Where I live I sold 10 in one day for 75+ thats definitely not $5 profit pee set. Dont know if the exchange rate is different where you live but 40$ set selling for 75+ is not bad. 

To each his own, but i'm going to pass and stick to holding them.  The highest they have gone on ebay is 70 with free shipping, and it looks like only one has moved at that price.  At Amazon, they seem to be selling much better, because it's a constant revolving door of prices, going from the low 60s up into the 80s.  The RE set cost  me 43.20 to acquire after taxes, and there were no discounts on these, and since walmart's gift cards rarely break 2 to 3%  it makes it rather pointless to acquire them.  It will cost around 7 to ship this.  So, now the set is down to 20.00 and that's before fees and taxes.  Fees eat up at least 10% of the total, so you're pulling about 10 to 14 a set.  Then there's taxes on top of that.

Once you factor in gas, shipping costs, wear and tear, the ratio of miles to oil change, and your time you spent acquiring them, going to the PO, etc, your profit becomes much less..  And then there's the x factor - are these coming back in a giant restock?  Signs don't necessarily show that.  I spent about 6 hours one day acquiring 10 of 13 in my local area, and had to drive to 5 walmarts to land them.  Right now, these are gone from my area, so there's no more left, and the only way to get them would be secondary market, or driving a few hundred miles to the nearest lego store.   I don't plan on doing that drive again until I go hunting on September 4th for SW, so I don't want to take the risk of flipping these 10 to make 100.00, when the only other place one might possibly reacquire these is lego.com, where they limit you to 5.  When you buy 5 at lego.com, you also take the risk of being banned, which I don't want to have happen to me.  So...when you factor in it takes resources to acquire them.  I'd rather sell them for when they are selling at a much higher cost.  In the end, that is my gamble, and how i'm playing my cards.  Either way, you've made money, and i'm sure when I sell these i'll at least get my money back too when all the costs are factored in.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_sop=13&_nkw=lego 75920 raptor&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=50&_udhi

I definitely agree with holding on to these. I know Amazon fees are better because I can ship a box of 20 of these to Amazon FBA for $8.  That's .40 for shipping. That is the big difference between Amazon and eBay.  I don't factor gas and all that because it is fun. It is definitely a gamble to sell now or wait it out but either way they will be worth it. 

• Like 1

I definitely agree with holding on to these. I know Amazon fees are better because I can ship a box of 20 of these to Amazon FBA for $8.  That's .40 for shipping. That is the big difference between Amazon and eBay.  I don't factor gas and all that because it is fun. It is definitely a gamble to sell now or wait it out but either way they will be worth it. 

Wait, you don't factor in selective business expenses because it's fun? Interesting business model.

Wait, you don't factor in selective business expenses because it's fun? Interesting business model.

No i dont let an oil change factor into my decision to buy a lego set that has doubled in price. Or the snickers bar I ate on my trip. Do i deduct for taxes yes. My bank account says it is making me money, that is all I facfor in. 

But I only owned the set for 2 days so it cant be worth money unless i let it sit on my shelves for 3 years like all the other exclusives that never retire. 

Edited by cory730
  • Like 1

I see you forgot to factor in the saturated fat in that snickers bar which is gonna raise cholesterol and expenses even more with doctor copay, prescriptions, and lesser quality of life.  These lego shopping trips are just plain tearing you up financially and medically:)

• Like 1

There were about 20 new resellers that listed their stock on amazon today.  It was hovering around the upper 20s to low 30s all week, but as soon as it said "OOS Will Ship by August 9th", it moved to 50 sellers.   Just like panic buying and selling periods on the stock market.  Ohh well.  Today was obviously the day to score raptor escapes on the secondary market, especially early this morning when they were in the low to mid 50s.

Edited by fossilrock