75920 - Raptor Escape

Jeff Mack

I thought you were going to say QF some of these JW sets and use the proceed to buy a few Temples of Airjitzu :P

I was at the lego store last Tuesday and they had a full restock of the JW line all 29R5 except the RE they were still 07R5. It did take some will power to walk away from the fresh stack. 

• Like 2

If they come, orders from Sat still have not shipped or updated.  

Don't have to worry about race to bottom if you sell while they are at there peak.  Timing is always the key.   If you don't have during the peak its already to late. 

Well, my strategy isn't like yours or quite a few of the others here.  Your rule is for quick flipping, and that is technically not at "peak".  Most of the ones sold over the last few weeks were sold around 50% or less from RRP.  Quick flipping isn't for me, because it requires shear quantity and lots of time to make enough money to make the effort worth while.  So I don't have the luxury of full time lego hunting, and at best, i'm subject to either online scores (not impossible on this line, but still tough), or running from store to store after I call it a day at work (and that eats up my free time at night).  Whereas if I grab a few, and hold it past retirement, I can basically sell 1/3rd to 1/5th the inventory of most quick flippers and spend less time and less money at it. Especially if I keep to mostly selling a quantity of rotating stock that is a few years past retirement.  Personally, I don't think i've lost any battle on the Raptor Escape yet, since I didn't sell a single one yet.  As for timing?  We don't know yet if this is coming back in force.  If this was coming back, as stated, it would be online for more than an hour and then disappear.  At most there were a few hundred or less in stock during that period today.  Is this the next zombies?  If it is, then I definitely am glad I didn't sell out at 70.  I'll sell when they are at 250.  Selling 10 at that price is 2500, which i'd have to sell 35 at 70 to make the same.  In the end, my effort will be much much less.  Granted, the risk is still there that maybe the entire lego bubble bursts, and they become worthless and I never get to make my money back.  That risk is there too.

Well, my strategy isn't like yours or quite a few of the others here.  Your rule is for quick flipping, and that is technically not at "peak".  Most of the ones sold over the last few weeks were sold around 50% or less from RRP.  Quick flipping isn't for me, because it requires shear quantity and lots of time to make enough money to make the effort worth while.  So I don't have the luxury of full time lego hunting, and at best, i'm subject to either online scores (not impossible on this line, but still tough), or running from store to store after I call it a day at work (and that eats up my free time at night).  Whereas if I grab a few, and hold it past retirement, I can basically sell 1/3rd to 1/5th the inventory of most quick flippers and spend less time and less money at it. Especially if I keep to mostly selling a quantity of rotating stock that is a few years past retirement.  Personally, I don't think i've lost any battle on the Raptor Escape yet, since I didn't sell a single one yet.  As for timing?  We don't know yet if this is coming back in force.  If this was coming back, as stated, it would be online for more than an hour and then disappear.  At most there were a few hundred or less in stock during that period today.  Is this the next zombies?  If it is, then I definitely am glad I didn't sell out at 70.  I'll sell when they are at 250.  Selling 10 at that price is 2500, which i'd have to sell 35 at 70 to make the same.  In the end, my effort will be much much less.  Granted, the risk is still there that maybe the entire lego bubble bursts, and they become worthless and I never get to make my money back.  That risk is there too.

my comment was not directed at anyone in particular.  Was making a statement about race to the bottom comments.  Point was if you dont have it ready to go you will not hit the peak while it is hot.   Buy the time it hits and maintains a high price is when everyone joins in and lists.  Then when restocks come obviously it is a downward spiral.

How do you know this hasnt hit its peak?   RI or exo ring a bell?  They will be hard pressed to ever reach there previous highs again.  You never know where a set will end up long term.

There has been plenty available since saturday. 2 or 3 people have ordered a few hundred in that time.  So think your numbers are way off there.

• Like 1

my comment was not directed at anyone in particular.  Was making a statement about race to the bottom comments.  Point was if you dont have it ready to go you will not hit the peak while it is hot.   Buy the time it hits and maintains a high price is when everyone joins in and lists.  Then when restocks come obviously it is a downward spiral.

How do you know this hasnt hit its peak?   RI or exo ring a bell?  They will be hard pressed to ever reach there previous highs again.  You never know where a set will end up long term.

There has been plenty available since saturday. 2 or 3 people have ordered a few hundred in that time.  So think your numbers are way off there.

Hmm, perhaps I need to just sell the 2 I have before the downward spiral hits the fan :P

True, with each round of new stock, it further diminishes it's potential.  It's simple supply and demand economics.   If it does come back in force than the swan song will already be written, and this has played out multiple times with multiple sets recently.  If the RE stayed dead a month ago, then it did have a chance to go like the next zombies, but each time a restock happens, and hundreds of resellers snap up as you put it "hundreds".  It's game over.   At that point it's just a game for quick flippers to race each other to the bottom and cheer about who sold the most, even if they just made basically a few bucks on the sets by flipping hundreds.  That's the point where I say the game is no longer worth it...

Yes, I know.. everyone has different strategies, but in the end everyone is jumping into the same pool.

Personally, i've already passed the point where I feel that buying most lego sets for investment is a decent move, but that's just my thoughts on the subject.  The writing has been on the wall for a while now.  

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

Buy the time it hits and maintains a high price is when everyone joins in and lists.  Then when restocks come obviously it is a downward spiral.

It hurts to see how sellers are jumping on each others prices just to be a dollar cheaper just to drive down the price when it can easily sell for $20 more if they all stand firm and take turns at the buy box.

It hurts to see how sellers are jumping on each others prices just to be a dollar cheaper just to drive down the price when it can easily sell for $20 more if they all stand firm and take turns at the buy box.

Don't blame resellers for prices while in the quick-flipping game.  Price volatility is something you have to accept and collusion Isn't going to work.  Too many different strategies and agendas from all the resellers.

• Like 3

Don't blame resellers for prices while in the quick-flipping game.  Price volatility is something you have to accept and collusion Isn't going to work.  Too many different strategies and agendas from all the resellers.

case in point - today I lowered my price to the cheapest on Amazon for a product. It sold a few hours later and I was happy with a mere $10 profit on an item I was making $50 on a few weeks ago. I was fine with the smaller profit so I could free up some capital, and without knowing how many units the guys in the front of the line had (or how many more were going to jump in front of me in line) I wasn't content to wait & see. On a platform where price is more or less the only differentiator there's no preventing this.

case in point - today I lowered my price to the cheapest on Amazon for a product. It sold a few hours later and I was happy with a mere $10 profit on an item I was making $50 on a few weeks ago. I was fine with the smaller profit so I could free up some capital, and without knowing how many units the guys in the front of the line had (or how many more were going to jump in front of me in line) I wasn't content to wait & see. On a platform where price is more or less the only differentiator there's no preventing this.

I've flipped and I've sold retired sets and I generally prefer the later for this reason. Retired sets usually go up, not down. Yes, there are "market corrections," but they are easier to forecast (new releases, etc.).  

• Like 2

I've flipped and I've sold retired sets and I generally prefer the later for this reason. Retired sets usually go up, not down. Yes, there are "market corrections," but they are easier to forecast (new releases, etc.).  

It's nice to flip half to pay for what you're holding for the long run.

• Like 5

Picked up the last 07R5 at the local Lego store. Had all others in stock. 

Do you remember the seal codes of the other sets?

It's nice to flip half to pay for what you're holding for the long run.

This is the strategy I like most... sell enough where the profit can allow you to hold on to the "freebies"

• Like 2

Was just in my local Walmart and picked up 3........ would like to sell 2 to make up the cost of the one for my collection. Is it wise to buy any more I find to sell and make up cost of the other sets I want for my collection ? Or do you guys not collect and only sell to make house payments ? LOL 

Was just in my local Walmart and picked up 3........ would like to sell 2 to make up the cost of the one for my collection. Is it wise to buy any more I find to sell and make up cost of the other sets I want for my collection ? Or do you guys not collect and only sell to make house payments ? LOL 

I think you'll find all kinds here....whatever works for you, brother!

I just listed the extra 2 sets I found. Now I just discovered online, that the town down the road from me has some at their walmart...... Wish I knew if it was worth the 30 min drive to investigate.... Considering no one has made a me a decent offer on the ones i put online. So I may just have to make a phone call to the store. I can always take them back...right?  I'm gonna try to get my hands wets trying the Brickpicker thing on the side. See if it is worth the time and aggravation it may bring. ( I read a lot of posts on here and decided to try posting some comments ) ...If I figure this resell thing out it will make it cheaper on me to build my collection. This way I can justify the spending to the wife.  And yes, I do open and build our sets... I have 2 boys and we have a blast together, build and playing with them =)