10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

I would wait and try to snag one at 10% or more off MSRP, preferably 20% off. If you can get them at a discount and hold them for an indefinite period of time until they're retired you'll likely see a very nice return on your investment. As for the debate on which will retire first, you'll almost certainly see the SSD discontinued long before the DS sees its final day on a retail shelf. There's just no impetus to retire the DS and until sales lag, another large and impressive Star Wars set is devised to take its place, or some unforseen market force intervenes, I would not expect to see it retired anytime in the near or even intermediate future.

This may be where the rumored Ewok Village comes into play. If it's truly as big as the rumored price tag is, it could be the DS's replacement. I would like to get another SSD, but after getting one for $310 last year, it will be hard to buy another one even close to retail.

Why would you invest so much in the Death Star at this point for investment purposes. You might make a little money in the long run, but I think the safer investment bet "at this point" is the SSD. Unless of course you can find a really good deal on the DS like driving into NY for $200. :) I would rather put my money into a B-Wing, R2-D2, or new X-Wing if there was money to invest. Lord knows they'll probably EOL before the DS anyway.

$399.99? Seriously though, it's been out for so long and on sale at various points throughout it's release cycle that if you're going to invest in this set you really need to shoot for 20% off "out the door" to make this a worthwhile investment. Get it sub $320 and hold it however long it will take for it to eventually be retired and you will be rewarded. Your potential competition likely got this set around this price, perhaps a little cheaper but likely not by much. You also need to be aware of the opportunity costs involved, since your money will be tied up for an unknown amount of years in this one set. I know my personal strategy is that unless I ca get it on my shelf for under $300 (25% off) I am passing it up for other investments unless we see credible evidence that it will be imminently retired. Even at 20% off MSRP I can wash and rinse multiple other sets through the investment cycle while Death Stars would just eat up investment dollars and shelf space, so unless I see a screaming deal on one I'm taking a pass. Understand I have high hopes for this set in retirement, I just think investors will get some warning before this set disappears so there's no point in rushing off and sinking a ton of money into them.

I would have to get a smoking deal to buy another one. Too much money to tie up possibly for several years. That $$ can go to other sets that are ending sooner and will pay out quicker. If you're going to build one, just find one that's been opened and displayed and save yourself some money as opposed to dropping $400, unless you really need to build a sealed one, which I can understand.

$300ish is what it would take for me to pick up a few. I only have 2 for myself so far, and I'm glad I never really stocked up on these as their profit potential has been greatly diminished the past few years. I truly think the reason they've kept it out so long is because they never plan on doing another one.

• 2 weeks later...